Will the modern midrange last like the 1070 has?

thorinthemornin
Go to solution Solved by Acid Panda,

Well performance is what you make if it, some people may prefer higher details at a lower frame rate but other will want the higher frame rate but will be willing to sacrifice some visual fidelity to achieve that. This is where something like the 1070 will remain quite strong. And will remain so I feel for at least another year or so before falling off the chats a little.

But if you want both then you will need a newer card

I've just been looking at little comparisons of the 1070's performance with the hardest games to run of its launch year (kingdom come deliverance, everspace, star citizen etc) and as expected it performed very well. And anyone with a 1070 will tell you that even now in 2020 at 1080p they're still pretty happy. 

Anyway I've been comparing that with the performance the 5700 XT gets with its 2019/20 launch year titles and it's equally well performing. But a new generation is around the corner and it seems games are getting disproportionately more demanding so my question is at 1080p, will our current mid range selection of the XT and 2060S keep pushing out max settings at 1080p for the next 3-4 years?

Well performance is what you make if it, some people may prefer higher details at a lower frame rate but other will want the higher frame rate but will be willing to sacrifice some visual fidelity to achieve that. This is where something like the 1070 will remain quite strong. And will remain so I feel for at least another year or so before falling off the chats a little.

But if you want both then you will need a newer card

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

16 minutes ago, thorinthemornin said:

I've just been looking at little comparisons of the 1070's performance with the hardest games to run of its launch year (kingdom come deliverance, everspace, star citizen etc) and as expected it performed very well. And anyone with a 1070 will tell you that even now in 2020 at 1080p they're still pretty happy. 

Anyway I've been comparing that with the performance the 5700 XT gets with its 2019/20 launch year titles and it's equally well performing. But a new generation is around the corner and it seems games are getting disproportionately more demanding so my question is at 1080p, will our current mid range selection of the XT and 2060S keep pushing out max settings at 1080p for the next 3-4 years?

You can't run RDR2 with max settings on a 2060 Super. So don't expect to max settings in the future for every game either with 5700 XT or 2060S. What you can expect is that games will look great even without max settings if you can't max them.

Not sure about you guys but my 5700-XT maxes everything i throw at it.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

Just now, GreyestGoat said:

Not sure about you guys but my 5700-XT maxes everything i throw at it.

Throw RDR2 at it then.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Throw RDR2 at it then.

I don't own it but videos show it coping just fine.. Ultra is known for taking performance away drastically with very little visual improvements.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

3 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

I don't own it but videos show it coping just fine.. Ultra is known for taking performance away drastically with very little visual improvements.

I mean on one hand that does mean that the 5700 XT isn't maxing it since I'd count 60fps ultra to be "maxing it" 

But on the other hand the differences from high to ultra are nothing and RDR 2 optimisation is ass. 

Probably a bad game for this comparison 

Just now, thorinthemornin said:

I mean on one hand that does mean that the 5700 XT isn't maxing it since I'd count 60fps ultra to be "maxing it" 

But on the other hand the differences from high to ultra are nothing and RDR 2 optimisation is ass. 

Probably a bad game for this comparison 

On high the XT is easily pushing more than 60FPS, a non issue really and scales well at 1440P and above too.

Like i said i don't own it, but yes visually per setting you don't really gain much but lose a shed load of performance.

4 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

I never said it wouldn't cope, just said it wouldn't max it out. My 2060 Super copes with it fine too even with MSAA x4 but the game still doesn't seem to be very optimized for PC. I wonder how demanding Cyberpunk will be though, I'm guessing ...very. :P

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

I never said it wouldn't cope, just said it wouldn't max it out. My 2060 Super copes with it fine too even with MSAA x4 but the game still doesn't seem to be very optimized for PC. I wonder how demanding Cyberpunk will be though, I'm guessing ...very. :P

Cyberpunk will be interesting because it is a huge game...

I will be buying that, but as long as i get a good balance of visuals and FPS i am happy.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

honestly if I can't do a good 60 fps highish settings on cyberpunk and death stranding imma kms 

1 minute ago, thorinthemornin said:

honestly if I can't do a good 60 fps highish settings on cyberpunk and death stranding imma kms 

Well consoles are rivalling PC's next gen, 5700-XT will age, but the driver support will be fantastic.

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

Cyberpunk will be interesting because it is a huge game...

I will be buying that, but as long as i get a good balance of visuals and FPS i am happy.

It will, I think it will look fantastic even with reduced setting. There doesn't seem to be much vegetation since the entire game is in a city so it may not be so demanding as I think. Vegetation can be extremely taxing these days.

2 minutes ago, thorinthemornin said:

Haha yeah. I built this PC hoping it can run CP so Imma probably kms too if I can't lol. I don't think we aught to worry though. They postponed the release to add finishing touches, polishing and optimizations for PCMR. Something Rock* never bothers to.

1 hour ago, thorinthemornin said:

To many variables to tell for sure because you have to account for game patches and updates like expansion packs which can come with improved graphics but at the cost of higher demand from the GPU.

For example a number of games are slowly implementing ray tracing and that will drive more demand from the GPU.

My usual opinion though would be to hold off for a year for the next generation however due to the current pandemic the supply for electronics will be rather short for awhile so the prices are probably going to climb and stay that way for awhile so it might be a good time to buy it now.

It is however up to you.

RDR2 which is a last generation game designed for last gen consoles is bringing even the most powerful gpu to its knees if you run higher settings...

PS5 and new Xbox incoming...personally...I don't expect current stuff to age very well at this moment....next gen ray tracing and newer demanding games will require better cards imho.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

RDR2 which is a last generation game designed for last gen consoles is bringing even the most powerful gpu to its knees if you run higher settings...

PS5 and new Xbox incoming...personally...I don't expect current stuff to age very well at this moment....next gen ray tracing and newer demanding games will require better cards imho.

it worked perfect until i plugged in my new oculus rift s... since then vulkan has been a dead dog..  since i run 2080 ti in SLI watercooled, i like to have vulkan working, not dx12. 

mid-range gpus? don't play on ultra - play on medium or high. you get:

1. better fps

2. lower heat/noise

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

True but how far is the thermal and power ceiling for the cards? After all look at CPUs and how the speed has not really moved to much further.

Sure we have more cores and the designs have been redone to be more efficient but speed is probably not going to be moving much more if at all due to the power requirements and the heat CPUs are generating currently unless there is some sort of major breakthrough. 

-= Locked =-

This has been answered and the topic derailed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER