Hey, I'm looking to get a new laptop for when college starts back up in September. I also do a lot of content creation so I need a laptop that's powerful enough for creative cloud.

The two laptops that I'm stuck between are:

Dell XPS 15

Dell Inspiron 15 7000

Obviously the XPS is built a lot better, but I'm just wondering whether there's any major issue with the Inspiron that holds it back. Like the specs are the same but maybe cooling is different idk.

There's also a choice of 10% student discount on both laptops so they aren't too far in price. And I'll buying the laptop in a few months so maybe prices will go lower with an XPS 15 2020 release!

So to clarify, is there anything blatantly wrong with the Inspiron 15?

What are your thoughts? 

Budget 1000-1600, give or take!

(Edit: I'm not into laptops with the 'gamer' look, although a lot of them are great! And once I can edit photos and do small 4k edits, like changes to an existing timeline, I have a decent PC at home)

Screenshot_20200428-120337.jpg

Screenshot_20200428-120300.jpg

Edited by jonnomurf
More clarification

Yes. They both have cooling issues. When do you exactly need it? Because I (personally, as a life-long Mac user) would recommend waiting until Apple puts the Scissor keyboard along with other improvements on the Macbook Pro 13". It should be in May. How much storage do you need? 256GB should be enough and that is what it should start with. That makes it around $1299. The reason that I don't recommend the Macbook air, being $200 less and already has the keyboard and no touch bar is because of cooling and screen. I do not have this product.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

37 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Both have cooling issues - avoid both.

Look at the Asus Zephyrus G15 or the MSI GS66

Yeah they seem good, I'm not into the whole 'gamer' look though. But the Asus one looks decent tbf. I won't be doing heavy work on the laptop as I have a decent PC. Thanks for your input!

22 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Yes. They both have cooling issues. When do you exactly need it? Because I (personally, as a life-long Mac user) would recommend waiting until Apple puts the Scissor keyboard along with other improvements on the Macbook Pro 13". It should be in May. How much storage do you need? 256GB should be enough and that is what it should start with. That makes it around €1194.35. The reason that I don't recommend the Macbook air, being €183.89 less and already has the keyboard and no touch bar is because of cooling and screen. I do not have this product.

I need it for the end of September, I was looking at MacBooks, I love them. Just not willing to pay too much a premium for them. Like I would like something along the lines of an i7 or amd equivalent and 16GB ram, storage doesn't matter because everything I need is on an external ssd. Something that can edit photos well but also make a few changes to a 4k edit. Thanks a lot!

Just now, jonnomurf said:

I need it for the end of September, I was looking at MacBooks, I love them. Just not willing to pay too much a premium for them. Like I would like something along the lines of an i7 or amd equivalent and 16GB ram, storage doesn't matter because everything I need is on an external ssd. Something that can edit photos well but also make a few changes to a 4k edit. Thanks a lot!

Ok. What is you budget? I think for a Macbook Air it is $1149 with i7 and student discount (Starting at $899). If you want 16GB on a Mac you would have to spend $200 more ($1349) and I would not spend that much. I don't know about much other computers then Macs but please consider.

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

25 minutes ago, jonnomurf said:

I

22 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Ok. What is you budget? I think for a Macbook Air it is $1149 with i7 and student discount (Starting at $899). If you want 16GB on a Mac you would have to spend $200 more ($1349) and I would not spend that much. I don't know about much other computers then Macs but please consider.

The Air overheats. Badly. After it reaches 100*C and cooks for a bit, the i7 is then seen running at 900MHz which will be slower than any i3  (or even most Pentiums) running at normal clockspeeds. Not to mention the problems with Fuzes, the exploding TB3 controllers or the unreliable T2 blackbox chips that can destroy your data.

33 minutes ago, jonnomurf said:

Yeah they seem good, I'm not into the whole 'gamer' look though. But the Asus one looks decent tbf. I won't be doing heavy work on the laptop as I have a decent PC. Thanks for your input!

The G15 comes with the most powerful laptop CPU - the Ryzen 7/9 4800/4900HS models. They tend to come close to desktop core i9 performance in a laptop 35W power limit. But their extreme power efficiency also means stellar battery life and minimal heat.

35 minutes ago, jonnomurf said:

look at the zephyrus g14 then. it's thin and small, without a gaming look, but still very powerful. 

1 hour ago, jonnomurf said:

Hey, I'm looking to get a new laptop for when college starts back up in September. I also do a lot of content creation so I need a laptop that's powerful enough for creative cloud.

The two laptops that I'm stuck between are:

Dell XPS 15

Dell Inspiron 15 7000

Obviously the XPS is built a lot better, but I'm just wondering whether there's any major issue with the Inspiron that holds it back. Like the specs are the same but maybe cooling is different idk.

There's also a choice of 10% student discount on both laptops so they aren't too far in price. And I'll buying the laptop in a few months so maybe prices will go lower with an XPS 15 2020 release!

So to clarify, is there anything blatantly wrong with the Inspiron 15?

What are your thoughts? 

Budget 1000-1600, give or take!

(Edit: I'm not into laptops with the 'gamer' look, although a lot of them are great! And once I can edit photos and do small 4k edits, like changes to an existing timeline, I have a decent PC at home)

Screenshot_20200428-120337.jpg

Screenshot_20200428-120300.jpg

Also, Jonnomurf, welcome to the forums! I didn't see this was your first post! 

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

13 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The Air overheats. Badly. After it reaches 100*C and cooks for a bit, the i7 is then seen running at 900MHz which will be slower than any i3  (or even most Pentiums) running at normal clockspeeds. Not to mention the problems with Fuzes, the exploding TB3 controllers or the unreliable T2 blackbox chips that can destroy your data.

Ok. You got me there. What about the Macbook Pro? I know it has the T2 chip but has better cooling, especially compared to what I have now (Macbook Air 2011) but I know for Jonnomurf that might be different.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

11 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Ok. You got me there. What about the Macbook Pro? I know it has the T2 chip but has better cooling, especially compared to what I have now (Macbook Air 2011) but I know for Jonnomurf that might be different.

The Pro 13 has the defective butterfly keyboards. That's an instant no fro me. The 16 is the only good MacBook available at the moment

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

The Pro 13 has the defective butterfly keyboards. That's an instant no fro me. The 16 is the only good MacBook available at the moment

What about waiting until Apple refreshes it with keyboard?

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

8 minutes ago, wall03 said:

What about waiting until Apple refreshes it with keyboard?

They're supposedly moving over to ARM-based A14 chips soooo - that may be a thing to be wary of

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

They're supposedly moving over to ARM-based A14 chips soooo - that may be a thing to be wary of

Aren't they sopposed to release that in 2021?

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Aren't they sopposed to release that in 2021?

Yes but we have no idea if they'll release anything before that. No real way to know so far.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Yes but we have no idea if they'll release anything before that. No real way to know so far.

Right. But we don't have any other way to know, like you said, so the best way is to go by the rumors or not get a Mac. He has the budget for a Mac and we don't know. I don't think that it will be released before September. Also, not many applications will run on it at first so just get it now unless you want to have support for a while... short-term get Macbook Pro long term wait for ARM.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

16 minutes ago, wall03 said:

Right. But we don't have any other way to know, like you said, so the best way is to go by the rumors or not get a Mac. He has the budget for a Mac and we don't know. I don't think that it will be released before September. Also, not many applications will run on it at first so just get it now unless you want to have support for a while... short-term get Macbook Pro long term wait for ARM.

Or just get a Windows device and not deal with Apple's crazy decisions ;)

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Or just get a Windows device and not deal with Apple's crazy decisions ;)

right. But idk abuot anything else besides Apple so can't help here.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

7 minutes ago, wall03 said:

right. But idk abuot anything else besides Apple so can't help here.

Well, we already have that handled. Assuming he's okay with the G15 - that's ideal. Else, maybe a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Well, we already have that handled. Assuming he's okay with the G15 - that's ideal. Else, maybe a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2

ok.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

Also, Jonnomurf, welcome to the forums! I didn't see this was your first post! 

Cheers! Glad that people reply so quick and with good info.

15 hours ago, pcw123 said:

I think you should find out more, there are better options.

Do you have anything in mind that matches those specs between 1000-1600? I want something clean and professional looking. Won't be my main machine, just for college and editing on the go. Thanks!