Buying a New CPU - Don't Know What to Get

Hello Everyone!

I am on the market for a new CPU/Mobo combo and I don't really know what to get. I currently am running an I7 6700K with an Asus Z170-AR mobo. I am interested in what AMD has released recently but I have been out of the building PC game a while now. Every benchmark I look at has the I9 9900K beating the Ryzen 9 3900X in gaming benchmarks. I play everything from large open world games to tight quarters shooters. Think Skyrim to Modern Warfare. I play everything and like to max out my graphics and get the most FPS possible. I usually have Discord and Chrome running while I play games but it's nothing really intensive. Maybe Google Play Music or YouTube running. I haven't really streamed while gaming at all. A few times but not enough to sway me from one CPU to another.

I guess my long winded question is, for future proofing, should I wait to see what AMD has in the pipeline with Ryzen 400 in September or because there are some decent deals right now just get one of the following setups? I chose those motherboards due to being told they have awesome VRM and memory controllers.

Ryzen 9 3900X - Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
I9 9900K - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE

Thank you so much for your help! Hope you're all staying safe and healthy during these times!

EDIT: I should probably add that I am running a NVIDIA RTX 2080 Founder's Edition.

10 minutes ago, haunebu said:

I play everything and like to max out my graphics and get the most FPS possible.

If you want to pull the trigger now, Intel is your choice.  I wouldn't buy a new motherboard though because intel is coming out with new motherboards this year!

Very soon, AMD may beat Intel on desktop CPUs for pure fps.

I thought there was talk about the new Ryzen processors being delayed for quite a bit due to the coronavirus. Between the two currently available, if you plan to do literally anything other than gaming, the Ryzen 9 3900X is the obvious choice. At the same price it blows the i9 9900K out of the water in all categories except for single core processor speed, which even there the Ryzen holds its own quite impressively.

5 minutes ago, QuantumAbacus77 said:

if you plan to do literally anything other than gaming, the Ryzen 9 3900X is the obvious choice.

What?!  I need it for word processing and browsing the internet!!

But I only have a 3600!!  I need to rush to Microcenter right now!

Seriously, the extra cores are important for high end photo editing, compiling large programs. video editing, but not literally anything other than gaming.

In the words of the great philosopher band Midnight Oil and WoW military leader "Dives"

a fact's a fact, handle it!

If your CPU is not ranked how you like on the gaming charts below, deal with it! Tossing a hissy fit on the internet (however comical) does not make it any faster. If you fail to understand the charts and why it's important to test at 720p and 1080p, that is a you problem and your lack of understanding. Get educated then come back and make a post rather then embarrassing yourself.

relative-performance-games-1280-720.png

4UyuvW7RPLEjhhjT2AWmp8-650-80.png

b58dF9Du7rNkLGKtGpLZLg-650-80.png