Looking for a new GPU

Hey y’all,

So I literally just finished building this computer on the 23rd of April (Thursday) and I am planning on upgrading my graphics processor in a while. I really want to be better able to make music videos and construct 3D visual effects as well as diving into the awesome world of VR gaming. I don’t have thousands to spend on a new GPU but I would like to upgrade my graphics to something a little beefier than the GTX 1050 Ti that I’m currently using. I’m looking for a GPU in the $150-300 range, preferably something that can do VR fairly well or at least decently, planning on using an Oculus Rift S. I’m kinda shopping gently new or refurbished, since my budget is a bit low, but I could probably scrounge maybe $300-400 extra for a GPU that’s really decent.

What would y’all suggest? My chassis can support a GPU up to 350mm in length. My PSU is a 650w and I’m currently using about 375w maximum on it and I have 2 spare PCIe power cables to work with.

97ECF78A-3DE4-44FC-8492-C77FADBF1F0B.jpeg

rtx 2060 should be powerful enough and it is around 300 dollars

Ryzen 7600x - RTX 4070 - MSI B650 PRO-Wifi 

Corsair Vengeance 6000 Mhz CL36 - EVGA 750W G5 - Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb

I would rather the 2060 Super, it has more Cuda cores and 8 GB 256-bit memory.

4 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I would rather the 2060 Super, it has more Cuda cores and 8 GB 256-bit memory.

if he is willing to drop 100 dollars more for 2 GB mor VRAM for gaming performance wise only 5 to 10 fps sure. But of course those 2 extra GB means u can run heavier settings. for example u cant play Rainbow six siege with ultra texture pack if u dont have 8 gb since it will near the 8 GB need

U can grab an AMD 5600xt 

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

RX 5700 XT. Same performance as a 2070 Super and same price as a 2060 Super. No real reason to go for anything lower

1 minute ago, Ominousdrake said:

if he is willing to drop 100 dollars more for 2 GB mor VRAM for gaming performance wise only 3 to 5 fps sure. But of course those 2 extra GB means u can run heavier settings. for example u cant play Rainbow six siege with ultra texture pack if u dont have 8 gb since it will near the 8 GB need

The Super is a good 20% faster than the non Super, it's more like 30-40 FPS, not 3-5

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

RX 5700 XT. Same performance as a 2070 Super and same price as a 2060 Super. No real reason to go for anything lower

Isn't the 5600XT close enough to the 5700XT ?

or the 2 extra GBs of VRAM are worth it ? 

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The Super is a good 20% faster than the non Super, it's more like 30-40 FPS, not 3-5

thats not how the math works , check any benchmarks comparission, tops it is 10 fps MAYBE 15 for split of a second but 30 to 40 never  and still wasnt a fan of recommending something worth so close to his price limit

Just now, Void Master said:

Isn't the 5600XT close enough to the 5700XT ?

or the 2 extra GBs of VRAM are worth it ? 

5600XTatches a 2060 non Super, the 5700 XT almost matches a 2070 Super. That's a 35% performance delta

4 minutes ago, Ominousdrake said:

if he is willing to drop 100 dollars more for 2 GB mor VRAM for gaming performance wise only 5 to 10 fps sure. But of course those 2 extra GB means u can run heavier settings. for example u cant play Rainbow six siege with ultra texture pack if u dont have 8 gb since it will near the 8 GB need

Many, in fact I think most games I play these days use or can use more than 6 GB VRAM but of course, it is his choice if lets say all he wanna do is play Fortnite at 60 fps then it is overkill. If he wants to play maybe RDR2 he will need better than 2060 not for VRAM but for a better GPU.

2 minutes ago, Ominousdrake said:

thats not how the math works , check any benchmarks comparission, tops it is 10 fps MAYBE 15 for split of a second but 30 to 40 never

Depends on the game but it's a good chunk faster than the 2060 non S which, and turn, is slower than the 5700 XT by a lot

CoD.png

Just now, 5x5 said:

5600XTatches a 2060 non Super, the 5700 XT almost matches a 2070 Super. That's a 35% performance delta

but can he afford it for 400$ ?

the difference is more like 20% ...

i guess the 5600xt is the best for his budget ...

Just now, Void Master said:

but can he afford it for 400$ ?

the difference is more like 20% ...

i guess the 5600xt is the best for his budget ...

It's more look above, the jump from the Super is about 15-20% based on the game, from the 5600/non Super its about 35%

if your looking for rtx I would go for something like the 2060 or 2070 but if you on a huge budget and you are fine without rtx I would go with the RX 5700 XT

Tbch it looks like the 2060 Super has the ports I’d need for every day use (HDMI, I don’t have DP on my monitor) 

it’s a little pricey but I can possibly find one for cheaper used or refurbished so that’s not a bad option. Right now I’m not to the “buying stage” because I like to plan out everything well in advance on things like this and have a few options just in case one isn’t available. The RX 5700 looks cherry but the ones I’ve seen so far only have DP output

I have a feeling I’m slowly going to amass a collection of video cards 😂😂

3 minutes ago, TH!S said:

Tbch it looks like the 2060 Super has the ports I’d need for every day use (HDMI, I don’t have DP on my monitor) 

it’s a little pricey but I can possibly find one for cheaper used or refurbished so that’s not a bad option. Right now I’m not to the “buying stage” because I like to plan out everything well in advance on things like this and have a few options just in case one isn’t available. The RX 5700 looks cherry but the ones I’ve seen so far only have DP output

Look at different 5700 models. They all have different display outputs based on what the OEM has put. Most should have HDMI ports, be it 1, 2 or 3. But the 2060 Super is quite overpriced for the performance you get.

10 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Look at different 5700 models. They all have different display outputs based on what the OEM has put. Most should have HDMI ports, be it 1, 2 or 3. But the 2060 Super is quite overpriced for the performance you get.

I stand corrected! You are correct!

to be completely fair both cards have their advantages. Price point is kind of a big thing for me tbh. I’d prefer to save money where I can because it leaves room for buying games and stuff. I expect a decent GPU to be expensive, that comes with the territory kinda. I’ve got at least two options now and I thank you both for that

Well you could always get an rx5700 and flash an rx5700xt bios on it ...

that's the kind of things I would like to do but it's the kind of things that is also scary to do cause if you mess it up you might brick the card and loose money ... but it still might be something to consider. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

38 minutes ago, TH!S said:

I stand corrected! You are correct!

to be completely fair both cards have their advantages. Price point is kind of a big thing for me tbh. I’d prefer to save money where I can because it leaves room for buying games and stuff. I expect a decent GPU to be expensive, that comes with the territory kinda. I’ve got at least two options now and I thank you both for that

You can get a 5600 XT - 2060 Performance for 1660 Ti pricing

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

Well you could always get an rx5700 and flash an rx5700xt bios on it ...

that's the kind of things I would like to do but it's the kind of things that is also scary to do cause if you mess it up you might brick the card and loose money ... but it still might be something to consider. 

That’s a bit more risky than I’m willing to go LOL I’m still hesitant to plug my 4 pin RGB passthrough into my 4 pin mobo header just because I’m unsure of voltages; I’m not the kind of person who’d be inclined to flash a next level BIOS onto a lower level GPU. I’d probably have a heart attack 😂😂