2070 super in slot 2 PCIE

Shnoboy

I bought an open box Motherboard from amazon with the hops that it was not a returned bait and switch. Luckily I got what was advertised, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Z390, as I bought a 9900k from bestbuy online new for 449$. The issue I had was the once everything was installed I was not getting video to monitor but the board debug code was A0 i think but it was a code saying everything went fine. While troubleshooting. i moved my 2070 super to the second PCIE slot and once it booted it was fine. While benchmarking I noticed GPU-z said it only had 8PCIE lanes for the card. As far as i know that is fine for a 2070 super but wanted to see if there might be a way to fix the top slot or just leave it as i got the MB for over half off and everything else is fine.

Side note i'm going to see if I can flip radiator. I don't suspect any air in line but Jayztwocents had a point about having that up that i've thought about since I got it.

20200424_022232994_iOS.jpg

ok you never said u need help

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

Sorry My question is should I return the Motherboard or is running the 2070super in slot 2 ok. I still have 21 day to return to amazon for any reason.

Yes but if ur ok with the way it is now then no. If u want the other slot then yes.

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

As far a benchmarking goes I get the same numbers when i was on last motherboard. Wasn't sure if there is any real reason I need to use top slot. 

Just now, Shnoboy said:

As far a benchmarking goes I get the same numbers when i was on last motherboard. Wasn't sure if there is any real reason I need to use top slot. 

I don't think I've seen my 2080 use more than half the PCIe bandwidth so yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not sure if there isn't some latency penalty depending on the slot though?

Personally the idea that the board is faulty would really bother me.  What if its a fault that could get worse somehow?  What if something is stuck in the slot shorting the pins?  Was the board cheap enough that you can ignore these niggling ideas in the back of your mind?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, WikiForce said:

sorry for going off topic but your rig looks awesome, really like the color scheme and it all matches really well.

That's fine. I just got the white cables as well and installed with the new stuff. I wish the radiator would fit on top but it's ok.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't think I've seen my 2080 use more than half the PCIe bandwidth so yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not sure if there isn't some latency penalty depending on the slot though?

Personally the idea that the board is faulty would really bother me.  What if its a fault that could get worse somehow?  What if something is stuck in the slot shorting the pins?  Was the board cheap enough that you can ignore these niggling ideas in the back of your mind?

I know how you feel but i'm also one of those people that if i don't upgrade at least every other year I feel like i'm behind. If it last a year ill be happy.