Why is this so expensive?

Probenja

I have always been wondering why Apple's thunderbolt dispaly is so expensive, i mean in my country you can buy 2 ASUS PB298Q 29" IPS ultrawide monitors for the price of one thunderbolt display. I mean i guess the whole reason of the price is the thunderbolt connection but is it worth the price and is there a difference compared to something like display port?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC914LL/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch?fnode=53

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I don't know a whole lot about apple products so take this with a grain of salt, but I would assume the only difference between thunderbolt and displayport as far as connecting displays are concerned is that thunderbolt allows you to daisy-chain to other devices.

I have always been wondering why Apple's thunderbolt dispaly is so expensive, i mean in my country you can buy 2 ASUS PB298Q 29" IPS ultrawide monitors for the price of one thunderbolt display. I mean i guess the whole reason of the price is the thunderbolt connection but is it worth the price and is there a difference compared to something like display port?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC914LL/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch?fnode=53

because it's apple.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

No, but i am serious, something like a macbook air is quite well priced, the iPad while is a little more expensive than the competitors but IMO it is worth it and that is about it, Apple has some competitive products but the price of this display its just over the top. And the worst part is that so many people that i have seen in youtube have it + a mac.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

Don't they use colour grade level panels?

You are paying the apple tax... nothing more. There are better / faster / less expensive devices out there. You just have to look.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

It's Apple, they make products for fashion, same as Beats By Dre etc and in the end too expensive for what you'll get.

But the monitors are amazing

Quote me to get a reply!

But the monitors are amazing

The industrial design is what I like tho, from Apple: What no other company can get close to;

But specification wise, and price/performance ratio wise they aren't any good. 

But yeah, teenage girls need Macbooks and iPhones ;-)

I don't know a whole lot about apple products so take this with a grain of salt, but I would assume the only difference between thunderbolt and displayport as far as connecting displays are concerned is that thunderbolt allows you to daisy-chain to other devices.

DisplayPort can daisy chain too.  In fact that's where Thunderbolt gets its own daisy-chaining capabilities from.

Those Asus monitors are 1080 so yeah.  The Apple monitor is 1440.  You're paying about $200 more probably for the design. 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

• 3 weeks later...

DisplayPort can daisy chain too.  In fact that's where Thunderbolt gets its own daisy-chaining capabilities from.

Yes displayport can indeed daisy chain, but what I meant to say was that it can't daisy chain to thunderbolt devices. So I guess an advantage of thunderbolt displays is that they can daisy chain to other thunderbolt devices that are not necessarily displays.

You are paying the apple tax... nothing more. There are better / faster / less expensive devices out there. You just have to look.

It's Apple, they make products for fashion, same as Beats By Dre etc and in the end too expensive for what you'll get.

It has decent speakers, a microphone, HD webcam, multiple Thunderbolt ports, USB hub, Ethernet port, passthrough power for Macbooks, aluminium housing and stand, and glass front. It's basically a very high quality monitor WITH a docking station built in. All this stuff costs much more money to produce than say, a Dell U2713HM or any other 1440p monitor offer hardly any of these features. Learn the facts first! :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

It has decent speakers, a microphone, HD webcam, multiple Thunderbolt ports, USB hub, Ethernet port, passthrough power for Macbooks, aluminium housing and stand, and glass front. It's basically a very high quality monitor WITH a docking station built in. All this stuff costs much more money to produce than say, a Dell U2713HM or any other 1440p monitor offer hardly any of these features. Learn the facts first! :)

No one will ever do that because....Apple.  They just hate.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Or you can get a higher resolution touchscreen gorilla glassed, faster, better built, EPEAT certified ultra from Dell for several hundred less... BTW that includes a 5 year warranty with accidental damage protection (oops I dropped my laptop into the bathtub, dont worry sir... here is your new laptop).

The industrial design is what I like tho, from Apple: What no other company can get close to;

But specification wise, and price/performance ratio wise they aren't any good. 

But yeah, teenage girls need Macbooks and iPhones ;-)

Dell 7000 series laptops....

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

Or you can get a higher resolution touchscreen gorilla glassed, faster, better built, EPEAT certified ultra from Dell for several hundred less... BTW that includes a 5 year warranty with accidental damage protection (oops I dropped my laptop into the bathtub, dont worry sir... here is your new laptop).

What? I was specifically talking about the Thunderbolt display.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Same samsung PLS monitor that you can get under other name brands for 310 dollars.

Although they do not have the thunderbolt controller and are there for overclockable to 120Hz.

But whatever floats your boat. If the aesthetics of the mac / apple stuff is worth that much to you.... more power to you. May you enjoy your very expensive pretty device. Personally speaking I would rather have the same function or greater for half the price.

Same samsung PLS monitor that you can get under other name brands for 310 dollars.

Although they do not have the thunderbolt controller and are there for overclockable to 120Hz.

But whatever floats your boat. If the aesthetics of the mac / apple stuff is worth that much to you.... more power to you. May you enjoy your very expensive pretty device. Personally speaking I would rather have the same function or greater for half the price.

Sorry, but just because have no use for the features that a product offers does not automatically make them useless, nor does it make it overpriced; you could have gone without reading my first response and still come up with an equal amount of irrelevance. I personally have a Dell U2713HM, which I bought for $550au from Dell, a perfect middleground. It has most of the features of a Thunderbolt display that are usable to me, but also a lot of features that those shitty eBay Korean monitors don't: 4x USB3.0 hub, multi-axis adjustable stand, factory professional colour calibration, a fantastic 3 year on-site free replacement warranty, multiple display inputs (including Displayport), good build quality and a small bezel.

Oh, and 120Hz? Enjoy your limited lifetime. IPS/PLS/etc. can't even switch that quickly with 100% functionality. Tout your knock-off device to someone else.

I don't understand why people don't value quality, it drives the market down.

Sorry, but just because have no use for the features that a product offers does not automatically make them useless, nor does it make it overpriced; you could have gone without reading my first response and still come up with an equal amount of irrelevance. I personally have a Dell U2713HM, which I bought for $550au from Dell, a perfect middleground. It has most of the features of a Thunderbolt display that are usable to me, but also a lot of features that those shitty eBay Korean monitors don't: 4x USB3.0 hub, multi-axis adjustable stand, factory professional colour calibration, a fantastic 3 year on-site free replacement warranty, multiple display inputs (including Displayport), good build quality and a small bezel.

Oh, and 120Hz? Enjoy your limited lifetime. IPS/PLS/etc. can't even switch that quickly with 100% functionality. Tout your knock-off device to someone else.

I don't understand why people don't value quality, it drives the market down.

I never once said anything about your Dell monitor, nor did I mention that features that I had no person use for made the feature itself useless. I have three 1080p IPS panels on my desk, all of them are Dell. I was speaking of the thunderbolt display from Apple. They use the exact same 27" panel. I am willing to forgive the lack of a USB hub as I do not need one. I am willing to overlook the lack of a 5 way adjustable stand as I dont really need that either (although the monitor I have in mind does have a VESA mount - so installing a $50 stand isnt too far fetched). I have found that dual-link DVI works perfectly and while it doesnt 'daisy chain' like display port etc etc etc - it does function perfectly. 120Hz is quite possible, although most of the panels I have seen work fine at 96Hz. They are not exactly knock-off either. They use a Samsung panel and controller. To be quite frank I would have chosen the Dell panel over the Apple panel... The price is just too much for what it is. And if a 4x USB 3.0 hub is holding you back - A little double sided tape and a 15 dollar hub can be added to the back of the panel. 

I read your entire post and I understood where you were coming from. Apparently (judging by the tone of your response) I have upset you somehow, or you have not read my response. It is also quite possible that I was not clear enough in my response. For that I apologize.

I never once said anything about your Dell monitor, nor did I mention that features that I had no person use for made the feature itself useless. I have three 1080p IPS panels on my desk, all of them are Dell. I was speaking of the thunderbolt display from Apple. They use the exact same 27" panel. I am willing to forgive the lack of a USB hub as I do not need one. I am willing to overlook the lack of a 5 way adjustable stand as I dont really need that either (although the monitor I have in mind does have a VESA mount - so installing a $50 stand isnt too far fetched). I have found that dual-link DVI works perfectly and while it doesnt 'daisy chain' like display port etc etc etc - it does function perfectly. 120Hz is quite possible, although most of the panels I have seen work fine at 96Hz. They are not exactly knock-off either. They use a Samsung panel and controller. To be quite frank I would have chosen the Dell panel over the Apple panel... The price is just too much for what it is. And if a 4x USB 3.0 hub is holding you back - A little double sided tape and a 15 dollar hub can be added to the back of the panel. 

I read your entire post and I understood where you were coming from. Apparently (judging by the tone of your response) I have upset you somehow, or you have not read my response. It is also quite possible that I was not clear enough in my response. For that I apologize.

You may not have meant the stuff you seemingly implied, but you did just that - imply a whoooole lot of points. I'm not upset, and I don't care what you use. Facts are facts, and no one can ignore them and form an opinion around that very ignorance. The thing that DOES upset me are the ill-informed, blind, bigoted, anti-Apple fallacies that literally make no sense, and of which are stated constantly on this forum. It's embarrassing for us as the so called 'PC master race'.

Where are these same monitors that are 1440p and 310 dollars?  Are they of the same quality?  Something tells me no.