Weird Chromebook Connectivity Issues (after latest ChromeOS Update)

Hi,

I've got a slightly weird issue with my Acer Chromebook 14 which seems to be connected to the latest Chrome OS update v81.0.4044.94 (although I'm not 100% sure, it could just be coincidental timing).

Basically, when connected to my home network on the 2.4GHz bands, it only gets about 5-10% of the download speeds it normally would. I usually get around 25-50 Mbps, but on my chromebook now I'm lucky to get 0.25 (according to the google speed test). Sometimes it also refuses to connect altogether or drops in and out. Basically it's unusable except for very light web browsing. Our network is set up with the router downstairs, then two other powerline hotspots with different SSIDs in other places - usually I just connect to whichever has the strongest signal depending on where I am. It's the same problem whether I'm trying to connect to the router or the hotspots. Distance doesn't seem to matter so I don't think it's a signal problem, and my phone and PC connect to any of them fine with normal speeds.

What's also strange is that my Chromebook will connect to the 5GHz band on the router, and gets normal download speeds with no issues. It's also really strange to me that it does still connect to the router/hotspots just gets completely unusable speeds. As I say, it seemed to occur after the latest chrome OS update but it could be coincidental timing, I only noticed it after the update but might just be reading too much into things. 

tl;dr - chromebook gets very low speeds or unreliable connection on 2.4GHz band, but find on 5GHz, seemed to start occuring after latest chrome update

If anyone has any fixes/suggestions that would be amazing, I've never really done much digging around under the hood of my chromebook before (because normally it just works with no issues...) so am not really sure where to start. 

Cheers!