external HDD,prone to failures?

frozensun

Hey guys.

I just want to open like a debate..

I've read so many bad reviews on amazon about external HDD from Seagate and WDD prone to various failures,which surprised me,because I still own internal ones,like tones of them and not a single one of them failed,so I suppose external power brick somehow messes them up.

Is this really true?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

It's the movement. hard drives fail when they suffer a physical shock and most idiots tend to throw around externals like they're dog food baggies

9 minutes ago, frozensun said:

so I suppose external power brick somehow messes them up.

It's possible. More potential failure points does often lead to higher failure rates. The power supply can fail, as well as the USB adapter. The physical USB connector can often fail as well and just become lose or not plug in properly causing it to disconnect.

Another thing to consider is that HDDs are sensitive to shock and vibrations. Internal drives are likely kept in the same spot but external drives are more likely to be moved around, tossed in drawers or backpacks and carried around. Vibration is more of an issue when it's powered on, but even when off a hard enough shock can damage a HDD.

9 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I've read so many bad reviews on amazon

More realistically what is happening is that people are only complaining on Amazon when something goes wrong. Most people who buy the drives and they work fine don't bother leaving a review.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The truth is that Seagate are using the cheapest crap they can under the cover of enclosures.

The Seagate rosewood is widely used in external hard drives and the failure rate of this model is going through the roof,

Ask any data recovery expert  - everyone of them has dealt with at least a dozen of those.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

aren't external drives more protected inside enclousre then internal ones (regular)?

24 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The truth is that Seagate are using the cheapest crap they can under the cover of enclosures.

The Seagate rosewood is widely used in external hard drives and the failure rate of this model is going through the roof,

Ask any data recovery expert  - everyone of them has dealt with at least a dozen of those.

It's not just Seagate,a lot ot bad reviews on 8 TB series from MyBook and Elements drives...

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's possible. More potential failure points does often lead to higher failure rates. The power supply can fail, as well as the USB adapter. The physical USB connector can often fail as well and just become lose or not plug in properly causing it to disconnect.

Another thing to consider is that HDDs are sensitive to shock and vibrations. Internal drives are likely kept in the same spot but external drives are more likely to be moved around, tossed in drawers or backpacks and carried around. Vibration is more of an issue when it's powered on, but even when off a hard enough shock can damage a HDD.

More realistically what is happening is that people are only complaining on Amazon when something goes wrong. Most people who buy the drives and they work fine don't bother leaving a review.

Those 8 TB models and above are bulky...not really meant for carrying.

I have 3 external drives with smaller capacities,AData,Toshiba,WD and they all work fine.

I remember Toshiba falling from like 2 feet onto the floor and still work.

But seems to me failure is prone due to high capacity,those old models like internal 320 GB WD still works inside my computer...so I dunno I'm confused,probably drives are sensitive to current supplied from external brick

It's just my opinion.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Can external drive inside enclousre be dismanteled and use as internal?

7 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Yes,There are normal internal drives inside,

17 minutes ago, frozensun said:

This sentence doesn't make any sense...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

7 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Just buy a good internal drive and an enclosure for it.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2

I am willing to by MyBook Edition but guy sells it without warranty  (brand new),it's 8 TB version which here costs like 250 euros (with warranty),without it I'd get for far much more less money.

Now I watched some reviews most of them have issue with USB 3.0 port on it,but I really need at least 8 TB.

Internal is not an option since this shit vwith Corona HDD went price up like crazy,I think I saw here 8TB internal for 250 euros.

But on the box of the case I see logo with X-mark on it like with scisorrs,maybe it's refurbished,huh?

I really didn't have any issues with my 3 others drives,but ofc they are 4-6 times less in capacity and don't have external brick,so I wonder how unlucky do I have to be so this drive fails on me.

What are like MyBook failure rates in %?

what is this X all over box?Does it mean i'ts damaged?

IMG-3fed369d2ccfee42d4a947d31f94a84d-V.jpg

IMG-eef5755e1512a391d02a37afa5cfa7e2-V.jpg

On 4/20/2020 at 2:38 PM, Vishera said:

Yes,There are normal internal drives inside,

This sentence doesn't make any sense...

it makes sense because external HDD 8 TB are cheaper then internal ones here..

Where can I find tutorial on how to make external HDD (internal HDD inside it) to work inside desktop PC as sata device?

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

it makes sense because external HDD 8 TB are cheaper then internal ones here..

Where can I find tutorial on how to make external HDD (internal HDD inside it) to work inside desktop PC as sata device?

The drives inside are already SATA,they are just connected to a SATA to USB adapter :D

Remove them from the adapter and they become a normal internal hard drive.

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

The drives inside are already SATA,they are just connected to a SATA to USB adapter :D

then why do they need external power brick with 12V?..i

Internal ones don't!!Even at such large capacity.

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

It's a normal SATA drive using industry standard SATA connector.

It's fine don't worry.

I asked you why do they need external adapter 12 V if those are like normal internal HDD.

They get power via sata power connector which I suppose is 5 V.

Why can't external drives get power via USB 3.0 power just like drives with smaller capacity?

On 4/23/2020 at 4:55 PM, frozensun said:

what is this X all over box?Does it mean i'ts damaged?

That looks like it's an intentional design of the sticker. Stops people from removing the sticker and putting it on something else. If you try to peel the sticker off it will tear along the cuts.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:32 AM, frozensun said:

3 hours ago, frozensun said:

I asked you why do they need external adapter 12 V if those are like normal internal HDD.

They get power via sata power connector which I suppose is 5 V.

Why can't external drives get power via USB 3.0 power just like drives with smaller capacity?

Internal drives use SATA power connector and draw 12v and 5v from the PC power supply...

External drives need the external power adapter to get the 12v power that the drive needs to spin the motor. USB only provides 5v.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Ok thanks guys.

So I can dismantle the enclosure and use the drive inside as regular internal HDD inside desktop?

On 4/20/2020 at 5:28 AM, frozensun said:

In theory, yes. However, the drives inside most external drives are of lower quality than bare internal drives. Manufacturers "justify" this practice by saying the drives don't need to be a higher quality since they assume people will not be running them as much as drives inside a computer. Many, if not most, experts do not recommend "shucking" (the practive of removing the drives inside external drives). For the same reasons, I also do not.

Adding to this is many manufacturers are now using SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) drives in their external drives. These drives are less expensive to make but, depending on how they are used, they can be painfully slow. They are fine for archival use where you write data to the drive once and never erase any of the data so you can replace it with more data. If you write over a sector that had been previously written to, the process will be painfully slow. 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:20 AM, Vishera said:

Not always. Sometimes, the drives inside an external drive enclosure connects directly to USB, not SATA.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

Ok thanks guys.

So I can dismantle the enclosure and use the drive inside as regular internal HDD inside desktop?

Again, I do not recommend it. I understand what it is like to be on a tight budget (I was there most of my life) but you have to keep in mind that you generally only get what you pay for. Buy something cheap and the quality will be cheap. In the long run, buying something cheap will probably be more expensive since it will have to be replaced more often. 

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

In theory, yes. However, the drives inside most external drives are of lower quality than bare internal drives. Manufacturers "justify" this practice by saying the drives don't need to be a higher quality since they assume people will not be running them as much as drives inside a computer. Many, if not most, experts do not recommend "shucking" (the practive of removing the drives inside external drives). For the same reasons, I also do not.

Not always. Sometimes, the drives inside an external drive enclosure connects directly to USB, not SATA.

Again, I do not recommend it. I understand what it is like to be on a tight budget (I was there most of my life) but you have to keep in mind that you generally only get what you pay for. Buy something cheap and the quality will be cheap. In the long run, buying something cheap will probably be more expensive since it will have to be replaced more often. 

I really don't know...I've been fan of WD all my life not single drive fail on me...but when I read bad reviews on amazon about drives failing in less then 6 months I am not so sure If I'll buy one...and I'm paying 150 euros for 8 TB version (no waaranty).

But prices of HDD went up like crazy,so this is my last chance to get one,but as you know when HDD fails there is no chance to repair anything...there been a lot of complains about usb 3.0 connector so I read somewhere that WD switched to USB type C because of that.

But I have 3 drives with same connector,no complains although a much smaller drives in enclosure.

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That's true,The 2.5" Toshiba drive OP has is this way.

And i already told OP that it can't be done with the little Toshiba drive.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

I really don't know...I've been fan of WD all my life not single drive fail on me...but when I read bad reviews on amazon about drives failing in less then 6 months I am not so sure If I'll buy one...and I'm paying 150 euros for 8 TB version (no waaranty).

But prices of HDD went up like crazy,so this is my last chance to get one,but as you know when HDD fails there is no chance to repair anything...there been a lot of complains about usb 3.0 connector so I read somewhere that WD switched to USB type C because of that.

But I have 3 drives with same connector,no complains although a much smaller drives in enclosure.

Did it ever occur to you that there is a reason why that drive has no warranty? Buying it would be a gamble with the odds stacked against you.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

2 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Did it ever occur to you that there is a reason why that drive has no warranty? Buying it would be a gamble with the odds stacked against you.

when you loose data,screw the warranty paper,right?

Screw the new drive when you loose data on previous one...

warranty is just a piece of paper...

I could go with one with warranty,guess how much would I pay,250 euros.

This is not cheap USA,it's mfck eastern Europe.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

when you loose data,screw the warranty paper,right?

Screw the new drive when you loose data on previous one...

warranty is just a piece of paper...

I could go with one with warranty,guess how much would I pay,250 euros.

This is not cheap USA,it's mfck eastern Europe.

You have moved into a new area of discussion. In short, if you have your data properly backed up, you won't lose data if a drive dies. I was staying on topic of the dangers of buying cheap drives, especially a drive with no warranty. How do you know if that drive is even working? If it arrives DOA, you will be SOL.

Times are tight all over the world. Even here in the "cheap" USA, prices here have been going up not only because of the current pandemic but also because of our Idiot in Chief's ill advised high tariffs on Chinese products, which accounts for most electronics components anymore.

Jeannie

10 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You have moved into a new area of discussion. In short, if you have your data properly backed up, you won't lose data if a drive dies. I was staying on topic of the dangers of buying cheap drives, especially a drive with no warranty. How do you know if that drive is even working? If it arrives DOA, you will be SOL.

Times are tight all over the world. Even here in the "cheap" USA, prices here have been going up not only because of the current pandemic but also because of our Idiot in Chief's ill advised high tariffs on Chinese products, which accounts for most electronics components anymore.

well you know good old all  HDD drives fail..it's just a matter of time...

The thing I don't like is moving external brick with the enclosure,I really don't get it if the drive 4 TB of capacity doesn't need external adapter why does 6 TB and above models do?