PC 'Crashes'.... All Peripherals Turn Off but Fans Still Run

Dragenom

Hey all,

I have been experiencing a pretty obnoxious problem with my PC. This is what happens:

I will be using my computer and at completely random times, whether I am gaming, watching movies, working on home work, etc., every single peripheral on my PC will shut off. This includes the mouse, the keyboard, my soundbar, my monitor, and even the power button on my case. The result is every peripheral is not receiving signal from my PC and although the fans are still running in my computer, nothing works. An extremely unfortunate factor of this issue is that the power button on the case will not allow me to turn the PC off, so I must flip the switch on my power supply off and then on in order for me to run my PC again.

Needless to say, this is an obnoxious issue; it has continued to happen through replacing the power supply and the motherboard. I do not know where to go next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

( I cannot stress enough: this issue happens no matter what software is running, and it happens at random times)

I haven't updated the bios because I am scared if it crashes during the update then it could harm my PC.

Specs:

Windows 10 Education x64 (using education b/c I got it for free from the University I attend)

Ryzen 7 2700x

EVGA GTX 1070Ti SC Black Edition

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

2 x 8 GB Ballistix Sport LT 2666 MHz

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt Gold

ADATA XPG SX6000 PCIe 256GB NVMe SSD

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

6 minutes ago, Dragenom said:

I am scared if it crashes during the update then it could harm my PC.

This is far less likely nowadays. However you already tried a different motherboard, so I guess instead of updating your bios you switched it out with another one. PSU would also be a guess but you already tried that too.

You can try running a single RAM stick and see if the problem still happens with either of them. 

@merco You think it is less likely to crash during a bios update? Or you think that crashing during a bios update would cause serious issue? I was also thinking about seeing if the ram was an issue, I will try that!

@R4STABAN what is Memtest86? How can I get it on a usb stick? What should I look for in the Memtest?

15 minutes ago, Dragenom said:

less likely to crash during a bios update

https://community.amd.com/thread/247799 "It's OK to update your firmware" is a good little paragraph explaining it.

You could still run into problems for example if there is a power outage, so people often say don't do a bios update during a thunderstorm ;) 

• 1 year later...