EdgeRouter x and gaming ping

Hello,

I have a ping problem with gaming. I recently upgraded to the EdgeRouter x from my ISP provided router/modem combo thing. Our internet speeds are 12mbs down and a bit under 1mbs up. I tried using QOS and it looked promising, I ran a DSLR report and went from C’s across the board to with QOS enabled having A’s across the board. 

A bit about my set-up: 

Eth0 - my modem

Eth1 - goes to my office to a dum switch then to the two gaming computers

Eth2 - nothing

Eth3 - an apple access point mainly used for smart home devices (does not use much bandwidth)

Eth4 - UniFi access point (main access point)

I wanted to know if it possible to set a priority for my Eth1 so we don’t have ping problems and then have Eth3 and Eth4 be put at a lower priority. The problem comes when people try to stream shows on Netflix or load social medias. Things that don’t require a fast ping to a server.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

Netflix and streaming/social media take a lot of bandwidth, not to mention you're running two separate accesspoints for devices and only have a 12mbs connection. I would suggest switching to just the single UniFi AP for all wireless devices and upping your plan to something that allows for more bandwidth and faster speeds. Also switching from the default DNS to let's say the GOOGLE DNS should improve ping.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Yeah I used to be a call of duty pro and I would never have people running under my connection for no reason whatsoever. I am not trying to be rude but any bandwidth is bandwidth in itself. Netflix and Hulu take up way more connection than a gaming connection. Even with a strong internet and the best equipment, a youtube video will create a high ping at times.

I would say if you want to game with clear quality, please only use one connection to one computer. Anything more is issues.

My Last Build

B450 Tomahawk Max, ASUS TURBO 1080, Ryzen 7 2700X, T-Force RGB 16GB

Current Project

Macbook Air 13in 2013

1 minute ago, DVAShun said:

a youtube video will create a high ping at times.

Especially right now with the influx of internet users, I've seen a huge drop in connection reliability and quality since stay at home orders went in place where I live.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

50 minutes ago, florianerb said:

Hello,

I have a ping problem with gaming. I recently upgraded to the EdgeRouter x from my ISP provided router/modem combo thing. Our internet speeds are 12mbs down and a bit under 1mbs up. I tried using QOS and it looked promising, I ran a DSLR report and went from C’s across the board to with QOS enabled having A’s across the board. 

A bit about my set-up: 

Eth0 - my modem

Eth1 - goes to my office to a dum switch then to the two gaming computers

Eth2 - nothing

Eth3 - an apple access point mainly used for smart home devices (does not use much bandwidth)

Eth4 - UniFi access point (main access point)

I wanted to know if it possible to set a priority for my Eth1 so we don’t have ping problems and then have Eth3 and Eth4 be put at a lower priority. The problem comes when people try to stream shows on Netflix or load social medias. Things that don’t require a fast ping to a server.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

1. Did you set up Smart Queuing on eth0 (WAN)? Enter your expected upload and download speeds, apply and reboot.
  2. I agree with using 1 access point if the other is just being used for IoT devices. The new UniFi access points can handle both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and you can create a separate network just for your IoT gear to improve security. See video here.