Corsair RM850 - Air 540 Carbide compatible

Lfc
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
6 minutes ago, Lfc said:

Is this PSU good enough or must wait?

yeah its more than good enough. 

I just read one full preview for this Corsair PSU RM850 and i wonder if its compatible with this corsair case

I say this because in this case the PSU must be side ways

Specifications and Part Analysis

Corsair's line of RMx power supplies are renowned for their compact dimensions and quiet operation, but not their low prices. With an MSRP of $119.99 (£109.99), the new Corsair RM850 promises similar performance and acoustics to the more-expensive RM850x, but at a more affordable price point. However, to cut costs, Corsair has used lower-quality capacitors and a lesser cooling fan. These compromises result in a PSU that's not quite as quiet as its big brother, but could be a good choice if the street price is significantly lower.

Corsair's new RM (without the "x") line consists of three members with capacities ranging from 650W to 850W. All of them are more affordable versions of the corresponding RMx models, which we expect to be updated in the near future to be fully compatible with the latest ATX specification. The RM units mostly use Chinese Elite caps, which are of decent quality, instead of the superior Japanese Nichicon and Chemi Cons and employ Hong Hua rifle bearing fans instead of Corsair's more-powerful NR135L. These changes might not be welcome by PSU enthusiasts, but the fact is that they don't seem to affect the product's lifetime since Corsair provides exactly the same warranty period (ten-years), in both RM and RMx units.

Two new features of the RM units, which are not present in the RMx 2018 line, are the increased efficiency under very light loads (2% of the max-rated-output) and support for Windows 10’s new Modern Standby mode that enhances boot speed and connectivity for your PC. The S3 sleep state usually takes anywhere from 7-15 seconds to turn on depending on your PC's configuration, while the Modern Standby function promises to bring that to reliably under five seconds.

The RM850 is a fully modular power supply and contrary to the RM850x, it doesn't use in-cable caps which might offer better ripple suppression, but also make the cables bulky rendering the cable management process harder. The unit features semi-passive operation which, unfortunately, cannot be deactivated. This means that the power supply should not be used in chassis where the PSU compartment is sealed or with the fan grille facing downwards, because the hot air will be trapped at the PSU's internals causing high stress to its parts.

19 minutes ago, Lfc said:

I just read one full preview for this Corsair PSU RM850 and i wonder if its compatible with this corsair case

The width and height of PSU's is always the same (because of the ATX standard), so only the length will differ.

This case takes PSU's up to 250mm, the corsair RM850 is 160mm long. (assuming you'll be using the current version/gray label version/not the orange-ish yellow version?) 

It will work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

The width and height of PSU's is always the same (because of the ATX standard), so only the length will differ.

This case takes PSU's up to 250mm, the corsair RM850 is 160mm long. (assuming you'll be using the current version/gray label version/not the orange-ish yellow version?) 

It will work.

(The unit features semi-passive operation which, unfortunately, cannot be deactivated. This means that the power supply should not be used in chassis where the PSU compartment is sealed or with the fan grille facing downwards, because the hot air will be trapped at the PSU's internals causing high stress to its parts....)

In the Air 540 Carbide the PSU must be side ways. This is not problem?

If i buy this PSU i will use the new version 2019. Is there a change to sell an old version?

Just found it for 110. It's on a upgraded platform however RM uses a Hong Hua Rifle bearing and RMX uses NR135L. Caps are also Taiwanese(Elite and Suscon) instead of Japanese(Nippon Chemicon)  I know RM850x is better PSU

32 minutes ago, Lfc said:

Hey there. I'm assuming you're concerned about this part of the review?

This means that the power supply should not be used in chassis where the PSU compartment is sealed or with the fan grille facing downwards, because the hot air will be trapped at the PSU's internals causing high stress to its parts.

Looking at the CORSAIR Carbide Air 540's internals, I don't think you'll have an issue with PSU thermals. The solid side panel is perforated around the PSU section, which will let air flow into/around the PSU area.

Spoiler

906011390_CCA540-Internals.thumb.png.72122c525e719b22b296a38d400e4fd4.png     47947086_CCA540-SidePanel.jpg.3d1bbd7bf8320cc44e4ee8bba1ed8d12.jpg

Right: CORSAIR Carbide Air 540 Internals (PSU on Bottom Right). Left: Perforated Panel.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

2 minutes ago, Lfc said:

(The unit features semi-passive operation which, unfortunately, cannot be deactivated. This means that the power supply should not be used in chassis where the PSU compartment is sealed or with the fan grille facing downwards, because the hot air will be trapped at the PSU's internals causing high stress to its parts....)

In the Air 540 Carbide the PSU must be side ways. This is not problem?

You place it in the case and place the fan side towards the open side of the case.

I don't understand what you're asking here.

3 minutes ago, Lfc said:

If i buy this PSU i will use the new version 2019. Is there a change to sell an old version?

Yes, there was another RM series PSU in the past, which had and orange/yellow label. The gray label is the 2019 version.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes, there was another RM series PSU in the past, which had and orange/yellow label. The gray label is the 2019 version.

This one.

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

I don't understand what you're asking here.

If is problem because in this case the PSU must be side ways...

20190712151452_corsair_rm850_850w.jpeg

Just now, Lfc said:

If is problem because in this case the PSU must be side ways...

that is no problem.

8 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. I'm assuming you're concerned about this part of the review?

Looking at the CORSAIR Carbide Air 540's internals, I don't think you'll have an issue with PSU thermals. The solid side panel is perforated around the PSU section, which will let air flow into/around the PSU area.

Reveal hidden contents

906011390_CCA540-Internals.thumb.png.72122c525e719b22b296a38d400e4fd4.png     47947086_CCA540-SidePanel.jpg.3d1bbd7bf8320cc44e4ee8bba1ed8d12.jpg

Right: CORSAIR Carbide Air 540 Internals (PSU on Bottom Right). Left: Perforated Panel.

Thank you mate! You understood exactly what iam saying and thanks for images too

This is not problem? because PSU must be side ways. OK 🤗

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

that is no problem.

Is this in the pic the 2019 version with 10 years warranty?

And is value for money to buy this PSU for 110€? I know RM850x is better but cost 150€. Worth 40€ more for RMx?

2 minutes ago, Lfc said:

Is this in the pic the 2019 version with 10 years warranty?

And is value for money to buy this PSU for 110€? I know RM850x is better but cost 150€. Worth 40€ more for RMx?

Yes, the picture is the 2019 version with 10 years of warranty.

You have not listed your PC specs, so I can't be sure this is the best option.

What I mean, is that most people will not need an 850W PSU. But it depends on your PC list.

16 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes, the picture is the 2019 version with 10 years of warranty.

You have not listed your PC specs, so I can't be sure this is the best option.

What I mean, is that most people will not need an 850W PSU. But it depends on your PC list.

I want 850 watt for future proof.

7 2700X

Sapphire RX5700XT

Asus Prime X570 Pro

Soon i will change CPU to 3950X and perhaps i put and new AMD sapphire GPU

I don't want to buy PSU again...

If you ask for wattages thats my answer

I ask for this if is vfm? Is good enough?

With other way i can go to antec hcp 1000w platinum for 170.

Or if RM850 is not good enough to go RM850x who have full japanese Capasitors..Or to TX850m for 130 who is not full modulary about connectors? Or to Fractal Design 860p  for 140 who is more silence..Thats my question?

Worth the extra money or with RM850 iam good enough?

2 minutes ago, Lfc said:

I want 850 watt for future proof.

7 2700X

Sapphire RX5700XT

Asus Prime X570 Pro

Soon i will change CPU to 3950X and perhaps i put and new AMD sapphire GPU

I don't want to buy PSU again...

If you ask for wattages thats my answer

I ask for this if is vfm? Is good enough?

With other way i can go to antec hcp 1000w platinum for 170.

Or if RM850 is not good enough to go RM850x who have full japanese Capasitors..Or to TX850m for 130 who is not full modulary about connectors? Or to Fractal Design 860p  for 140 who is more silence..Thats my question?

Worth the extra money or with RM850 iam good enough?

RM850 is a good option, if you decide you need 850W.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

RM850 is a good option, if you decide you need 850W.

About Chinese Capacitors? And RM uses a Hong Hua Rifle bearing and RMX uses NR135L. Worth the extra 40€?

3 minutes ago, Lfc said:

About Chinese Capacitors?

doesnt matter. 

the reasons as to choose the RMx over the RM arent related to the capacitors. more to do with the low wattage noise issue. well that, and partially the fan. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

doesnt matter. 

the reasons as to choose the RMx over the RM arent related to the capacitors. more to do with the low wattage noise issue. well that, and partially the fan. 

Welcome my friend 🤗🤩😃. As before with Mobο so now with PSU i can't choose. I make you dizzy all day asking you for best PSUs and thanks a million for your time and patience to expain again and again!

Is this PSU good enough or must wait? I will do whatever you say to me like in Mobo

Thanks a million in advance

6 minutes ago, Lfc said:

Is this PSU good enough or must wait?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Thank you mate.⚓

I just bought it for 110€