Ryzen 9 3900x or 7 3800x

I'm a video editor looking to upgrade my processor from a 5 1600 because I need the horsepower to handle some heavier loads. 

Should I pick up the 9 3900x or the 7 3800x. I already have a B450M motherboard that handles Ryzen 3rd gen. I really want to go for the 3900x, but I don't know if it's worth it for the extra horses. 

It's worth it but you really have to make sure the board's power delivery is up to the task. We have a tier list for AM4 boards on the forum - check that first and if it fits, grab the 3900X. For your use case, the extra cores are great.

Honestly you should be deciding between 3700x or 3900x. The only reason you should get a 3800x is if its around the same price as the 3700x.

Also do you make money doing videos or is it just a hobby? If its just a hobby, 3700x. If you can actually make money, 3900x

Also make sure you get really good ram (preferably samsung b-die)

3800x will do nothing for you over the 3700x. Video editing wants cores not single thread.  Workload stuff?  3900x. straight up.  3950 if you can arrange it.  More cores.  It will game like a 3700x which is ok.  If you can’t justify a 3900x you can’t really justify a 3800x either.  Go for the 3700x

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, 5x5 said:

It's worth it but you really have to make sure the board's power delivery is up to the task. We have a tier list for AM4 boards on the forum - check that first and if it fits, grab the 3900X. For your use case, the extra cores are great.

Will a B450M pro-VDh max be good? I'm. Not sure where the list is. 

23 minutes ago, Ashkii said:

Will a B450M pro-VDh max be good? I'm. Not sure where the list is. 

Nope - that's a pretty mediocre board. Avoid

12 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Nope - that's a pretty mediocre board. Avoid

Considering I already have it, yeah no I can't. 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:05 AM, Ashkii said:

I'm a video editor looking to upgrade my processor from a 5 1600 because I need the horsepower to handle some heavier loads. 

Should I pick up the 9 3900x or the 7 3800x. I already have a B450M motherboard that handles Ryzen 3rd gen. I really want to go for the 3900x, but I don't know if it's worth it for the extra horses. 

If going the 3900x route, aside from above indicated vrm power delivery, also have a critical look at your psu (check the tier list in the psu forum and read up on single vs multirail and how "600w" or "bronze" are not indicators of quality or actual wattage capability to cpu/gpu).

I think i'm just going to get a 3700x or 3800x, what do you guys think? 

2 minutes ago, Ashkii said:

As said, 3700x is generally the best option (compared to 3800x), unless the price difference is equivalent of a few dollars.

Even then, is the marginal performance benefit of 3800x worth jumping to a tdp and power equivalent of a 3900x one could ask, especially more so if you would be using the stock cooler.

Id go with the 3700x indeed, if the choice is between 3800 and 3700.

3900x is only viable kf making money from your system and even then only when 50% more threads save you significants amounts of time each working day.

So the motherboard is in hand.  If it can handle a 3900x it makes sense to get one.  If it CAN’T (and that is possible and needs to be checked) then there is no way you should get a 3900x unless you also change out the motherboard.  It’s not impossible it can’t even handle a 3700x (again, check) if this is the case you’ll have to get a new mobo anyway in which case we’re back to 3900x

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Ashkii said:

3700X unless you also get a board with proper power delivery