Hi guys, so i'm confused against USB 3.0 and  USB 3.1 TYPE-C. USB 3.0 goes into the USB 3.2 internal connector in the motherboard, but where does USB 3.1 TYPE-C goes? Do they go to the same place?

Depends on the motherboard and the cables on your case. Usually it would be helpful to check the manual. If nothing is mentioned just plug them into you motherboard's usb 3 header.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Depends on the motherboard and the cables on your case. Usually it would be helpful to check the manual. If nothing is mentioned just plug them into you motherboard's usb 3 header.

So, it is the same header as the USB 3.0?

USB 3.1 has a completely different header than USB 3.0, your motherboard will need to have the header in order for you to connect it, primarily due to speed constraints.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Applefreak said:

I don't know what motherboard you have but probably yes.

I actually is not sure what motherboard to use. Lian Li O11D has 2 USB 3.0 Ports at the front and the motherboard i chose also only has 2 USB 3.0 internal connectors, if there is one more USB 3.1 TYPE-C, then 3 USB 3.0 internal connectors is needed for the motherboard which is annoying and i need to get a splitter. The motherboard might be Asrock x570 pro4.

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

USB 3.1 has a completely different header than USB 3.0, your motherboard will need to have the header in order for you to connect it, primarily due to speed constraints.

Aren't them all backwards compatible?

This is USB 3 header

Can you connect a 3.0 USB to a 3.1 connector in a motherboard? - Quora

This is USB 3.1 header

USB 3.1 front panel connector cable?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

This is USB 3 header

Can you connect a 3.0 USB to a 3.1 connector in a motherboard? - Quora

This is USB 3.1 header

USB 3.1 front panel connector cable?

So the USB 3.1 TYPE-C on the motherboard is different from USB 3.2 header?

11 hours ago, Applefreak said:

What motherboard do you have? What case do you have?

Motherboard will either be TUF gaming x570-plus or Asrock X570 Pro4

Case will be Lian Li O11D 

10 hours ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

So the USB 3.1 TYPE-C on the motherboard is different from USB 3.2 header?

So they have recently renamed the USB standards so newer motherboards will have the new names while older ones will have the odler name.

USB 3.2 Gen 1: originally known as USB 3.0.

USB 3.2 Gen 2: Previously known as USB 3.1

The Asus mobo has USB 3.0(now USB 3.2 Gen 1) on the motherboard and USB 3.1(now USB 3.2 Gen 2) on the I/O panel

image.png.684f9940475f855e6ae8cf4f176a5651.png

The Asrock mobo has 2x USB 3.0(now USB 3.2 Gen 1) on the motherboard and USB 3.1(now USB 3.2 Gen 2) on the I/O panel

Now the case you have selected has a both motherboard connecters but the motherboards don't. so you will  not have the front panel USB C port

image.png

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

3 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

So they have recently renamed the USB standards so newer motherboards will have the new names while older ones will have the odler name.

USB 3.2 Gen 1: originally known as USB 3.0.

USB 3.2 Gen 2: Previously known as USB 3.1

The Asus mobo has USB 3.0(now USB 3.2 Gen 1) on the motherboard and USB 3.1(now USB 3.2 Gen 2) on the I/O panel

image.png.684f9940475f855e6ae8cf4f176a5651.png

The Asrock mobo has 2x USB 3.0(now USB 3.2 Gen 1) on the motherboard and USB 3.1(now USB 3.2 Gen 2) on the I/O panel

Now the case you have selected has a both motherboard connecters but the motherboards don't. so you will  not have the front panel USB C port

image.png

But do the USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 connect to the same connector on the motherboard? Can i just buy a PCIE to USB 3.0 port?

19 minutes ago, cutelittlebabyboss said:

But do the USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 connect to the same connector on the motherboard? Can i just buy a PCIE to USB 3.0 port?

No

they are different, as per the original images I posted.

You can get adaptors such as

image.png.16a4248d22758939c79f1eb61596617b.png

You can get PICE cards that will give you a gen 2 internal connector.

image.png.1dc5cc3f5b78777fcfe02dbb41206c08.png

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

The ASrock board with the adaptor is probably your best bet if you want all the front I/O working

with the adaptor the USB C port will only work at Gen 1 speeds not Gen 2

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

1 minute ago, shaz2sxy said:

The ASrock board with the adaptor is probably your best bet if you want all the front I/O working

with the adaptor the USB C port will only work at Gen 1 speeds not Gen 2

So the USB 3.2 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 2  connectors are different, and they do not connect to the same internal connectors of the motherboard? What do you think about a ASRock board, some say that the bios sucks.

Yes they are different

To clarify

USB 3.2 Gen 1 

image.png.5eff12d10615896aaaff6df9822dd511.png

USB 3.2 Gen 2

image.png.8e5a5bd0a7822097acd1f54ac9156258.png

I've not used Asrock boards for a long time so not sure about the bios.  

They are a good company though

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Yes they are different

To clarify

USB 3.2 Gen 1 

image.png.5eff12d10615896aaaff6df9822dd511.png

USB 3.2 Gen 2

image.png.8e5a5bd0a7822097acd1f54ac9156258.png

I've not used Asrock boards for a long time so not sure about the bios.  

They are a good company though

What motherboard is your desktop using though? What do you think about the bios?

I'm on an older Asus Strix Z270h - The bios is good, but I don't really overclock it

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

I'm on an older Asus Strix Z270h - The bios is good, but I don't really overclock it

So asus boards are for like serious overclocking. Do you have any more suggestions for PCIE to USB 3.2 Gen2? like where to buy as most of them are >$50.

Just now, cutelittlebabyboss said:

So asus boards are for like serious overclocking. Do you have any more suggestions for PCIE to USB 3.2 Gen2? like where to buy as most of them are >$50.

Would you need it on the front of your case? as both motherboards have it on the back.

I personally wouldnt bother.  In my current setup I dont have the gen 2 so my front i/o the USB c isnt connected.  the rest work fine

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Would you need it on the front of your case? as both motherboards have it on the back.

I personally wouldnt bother.  In my current setup I dont have the gen 2 so my front i/o the USB c isnt connected.  the rest work fine

I have serious OCD and if i don't make everything work, I will die of some sickness.

Have you looked at other motherboards

Not sure what the price difference they are where you are

Asus PRIME X570-PRO

Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO

the above have both connectors

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC