Seasonic / Corsair PSUs and Cables.

RyanTMatt
Go to solution Solved by RyanTMatt,

I don't really have any budget on this, I can buy whatever's needed. If chosen the Seasonic PRIME 850W 80+ Gold PSU with Black/White Cablemod Cables to plug into the PSU, no extensions. The color will fit my build perfectly and won't be harder to cable manage. @Enderman @orbitalbuzzsaw @jonnyGURU Thanks for all the help!

For a build of mine, I am either choosing the Seasonic PRIME 850W, or the Corsair 850 RMx. Both are fine, it is just a question I need answering. I will be using black/white cables for these and I'd like to know about Corsairs' Individually Sleeves PSU Cables Pro Kit. Do these cables go into the 850 RMx itself or do they connect to the PSU's cables?

Stop waiting for something you want to become reality, you make your own destiny, and you will not achieve it unless you make it happen.

They go into the PSU, they are not extensions.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

They go into the PSU, they are not extensions.

That said, you could (and should IMO) get extensions, I have those cables and they're... fine, but kind of cheap

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

@Enderman @orbitalbuzzsaw

Thanks for the help!

Stop waiting for something you want to become reality, you make your own destiny, and you will not achieve it unless you make it happen.

2 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That said, you could (and should IMO) get extensions, I have those cables and they're... fine, but kind of cheap

Nah, way better to just buy a cablemod kit.

Far nicer than plugging extensions into the already longer than necessary PSU cables.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

No. Why?  WHY!??!  Why would you suggest that?!?!

When you can get proper cables that replace the stock cables, why would you ever consider buying extensions?

Extensions:  

* Make the cables longer and more difficult to hide.

* Add an additional connector that creates resistance, which results in voltage drop

* Makes the cables longer, which creates resistance, which results in voltage drop

32 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Nah, way better to just buy a cablemod kit.

Far nicer than plugging extensions into the already longer than necessary PSU cables.

That's fair although Cablemod is more expensive and good extensions would be in the same price range the Corsair cables iirc

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

* Add an additional connector that creates resistance, which results in voltage drop

* Makes the cables longer, which creates resistance, which results in voltage drop

It's an absolutely insignificant difference in resistance, nothing that will even be noticeable.

The main issue is the consistency/reliability of connection, since another connector adds another point of failure or disconnection.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

It's an absolutely insignificant difference in resistance, nothing that will even be noticeable.

The main issue is the consistency/reliability of connection, since another connector adds another point of failure or disconnection.

You're saying the same thing I am.  The pins are always the weakest link.  If the pin is not securely connected, what happens?  You increase resistance and cause voltages to drop.

You see burnt pins even when extensions aren't used.  Why do you think it's a non-issue?

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're saying the same thing I am.  The pins are always the weakest link.  If the pin is not securely connected, what happens?  You increase resistance and cause voltages to drop.

You see burnt pins even when extensions aren't used.  Why do you think it's a non-issue?

Fair enough.

Spoiler

I don't really have any budget on this, I can buy whatever's needed. If chosen the Seasonic PRIME 850W 80+ Gold PSU with Black/White Cablemod Cables to plug into the PSU, no extensions. The color will fit my build perfectly and won't be harder to cable manage. @Enderman @orbitalbuzzsaw @jonnyGURU Thanks for all the help!

On 4/16/2020 at 11:27 AM, jonnyGURU said:

I think you're both on the same page.

Enderman was just more stating potential connector issues beyond 'resistance.'

I am well aware that's what you mean by resistance, read much of you work, but not everyone's mind goes to that.

So badly mated or incorectly inserted, tarnished/corroded, loose pins/sockets, crimp or solder failure of the termination and so on.

Not everyone's mind goes to that, they just think, "oh that 0.1R difference at the connector is nothing" if you mention resistance.