Need some help with two new computers

My wife and I are considering getting new computers--finally replacing our old Dell N5110 laptops. I need some help on trying to find or build different systems for the both of us. We are working on a budget and because of our different needs, it's hard to place this post in one category. I was thinking of a budget of somewhere around $500-$800 per system. Since AMD is currently king of the CPUs right now, I'm leaning in that direction but Intel is still a contender if it does what we need. Pre-made or build my own are also both options.If we build a desktop, monitors are part of the equation but don't have to be too fancy.

My wife specifically wants a desktop--depending on what I can get, this could be a system in a box or something I can build. She basically needs a general-purpose PC that can handle very light gaming. She basically plays The Sims 3 (she didn't get 4 since she had everything for 3), Minecraft (mostly Bedrock), Dungeons & Dragons Online and this series of hidden objcet games from G5. I think she could get away with a CPU with onboard graphics and could skip an actual graphics card.

I could use a budget gaming PC (desktop or laptop)--I know that I'm not getting a top tier system but this old laptop is downright creaky with the second-gen i3 and onboard gfx. I have been hindered from playing anything remotely modern and some of my games are almost unplayable. I also enjoy Minecraft and DDO, plus I play Star Trek Online and Kerbal Space Program amongst other games. I wouldn't mind trying a few more modern games but I also know that KSP can really task a system--especially if I were to try to run some visual mods and fly anything with a high part count. KSP 2 is also a game I'd like to get. Other thing I do is watch a lot of video and movies from streaming srivces and YouTube, and working on tabletop gaming stuff in Office.

I have looked on the PC part picker and I do feel like I'm out of my element but I know you guys could be a big help in pointing me in the right direction. I have put together a couple of PCs in the past--both were AMD systems and I had help selecting the parts but I am comfortable in putting things together.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help I can get!

5 minutes ago, The Smokin Deist said:

My wife and I are considering getting new computers--finally replacing our old Dell N5110 laptops. I need some help on trying to find or build different systems for the both of us. We are working on a budget and because of our different needs, it's hard to place this post in one category. I was thinking of a budget of somewhere around $500-$800 per system. Since AMD is currently king of the CPUs right now, I'm leaning in that direction but Intel is still a contender if it does what we need. Pre-made or build my own are also both options.If we build a desktop, monitors are part of the equation but don't have to be too fancy.

My wife specifically wants a desktop--depending on what I can get, this could be a system in a box or something I can build. She basically needs a general-purpose PC that can handle very light gaming. She basically plays The Sims 3 (she didn't get 4 since she had everything for 3), Minecraft (mostly Bedrock), Dungeons & Dragons Online and this series of hidden objcet games from G5. I think she could get away with a CPU with onboard graphics and could skip an actual graphics card.

I could use a budget gaming PC (desktop or laptop)--I know that I'm not getting a top tier system but this old laptop is downright creaky with the second-gen i3 and onboard gfx. I have been hindered from playing anything remotely modern and some of my games are almost unplayable. I also enjoy Minecraft and DDO, plus I play Star Trek Online and Kerbal Space Program amongst other games. I wouldn't mind trying a few more modern games but I also know that KSP can really task a system--especially if I were to try to run some visual mods and fly anything with a high part count. KSP 2 is also a game I'd like to get. Other thing I do is watch a lot of video and movies from streaming srivces and YouTube, and working on tabletop gaming stuff in Office.

I have looked on the PC part picker and I do feel like I'm out of my element but I know you guys could be a big help in pointing me in the right direction. I have put together a couple of PCs in the past--both were AMD systems and I had help selecting the parts but I am comfortable in putting things together.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help I can get!

I'm guessing you guys are in the USA?

Do you have any aesthetic preferences for a PC case, or any other things you'd want (more mass storage, any brand you like in particular, etc.)

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

6 minutes ago, The Smokin Deist said:

-snip-

Is the 500-800 per system including monitors?

If it doesn't include monitors in that price, then the below should absolutely be overkill with those games and be able to get decent frame rates at 1080p in most modern games. The power supply is overkill, but is currently on a decent price for what it has.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Green  240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 RGB 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($60.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $763.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 11:04 EDT-0400

If you want to spend less, then the below would be significantly cheaper, and probably still adequate graphics wise for those games she wants to play. You can also swap in a 3200G in to the below for $50-60 less and still be fine with those games, with the ability to upgrade the CPU & put in a discrete GPU if you wanted in the future.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Green  240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $551.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 11:11 EDT-0400

Edit: I've just noticed there is basically no price difference between those two power supplies. Get the Thermaltake one if it is still the same price, on either build.

build 1 - 800$ gaming:

build 2 - 600$ light gaming: 

31 minutes ago, ibabyslapper said:

I'm guessing you guys are in the USA?

Do you have any aesthetic preferences for a PC case, or any other things you'd want (more mass storage, any brand you like in particular, etc.)

Yes we are, and we don't really have much preference for the case aesthetics other than it not be really fugly. lol

1 hour ago, The Smokin Deist said:

Yes we are, and we don't really have much preference for the case aesthetics other than it not be really fugly. lol

This is what I'd build in your shoes. For some reason PcPartPicker doesn't recognise the existance of the R5 1600AF, so I had to change the price. This is a link for the R5 1600AF (12nm)

You can find a gray market Windows 10 Pro key for $5 on eBay.

Spend the rest of the budget on a cheap mechanical keyboard, like one of the red dragon ones, and a mouse.

The Amazon Basics programmable mech board (not the mech feel one) is actually pretty good too for the price, but I believe those are out of production.

To make a lesser (cheaper) machine, swap out the RX 580 for a RX 570/560. Even then, it should be able to do light 1080p gaming.

If you can get it in time, this PSU is better for only $6 more thanks to a mail-in rebate.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (14nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($99.50)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3.1 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus VA229HR 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $740.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-15 12:40 EDT-0400

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Stimulus check didn't arrive but we are working on that. I hope to have my build budget soon. I had to save some money for my vehicle repair so that's why I didn't have a bigger budget. (I need brakes and oil change minimum.)

I am seeing some good stuff here and I appreciate all of your help on this. I hope to be able to build soon and perhaps post some pics. I'll also likely watch some videos so I can make sure I am comfortable with some of the more fiddly bits on the build. Thankfully I won't have to do anything too messy and these will be the third and fourth Windows PCs I've assembled.

• 2 weeks later...

My check is finally pending for deposit and my wife is working on our tax returns so she can get her check--I'm on SSD. Hopefully my wife is still on board for this project. lol

I am considering paying full retail for my Win 10 license since the retail versions can migrate to new computers later. Now if it only covered a couple of computers at once, it would be better and save a little money.

For me it'll be the first time since my old A4000/040 where I have an actual graphics card and I'm not relying on onboard gfx. (The Amiga was sporting the Picasso IV RTG card from Village Tronic) and the two Windows desktops I built with help and the laptop just had the onboard gfx.)

This could not happen at a better time since it seems that my laptop is really starting to bog down.