My DEFINE R4 - Update & NEW pics!

adriel604

i never really understood bottom fans unless there was a rad there, i have always just used my fans on the top and sides, is it an exhaust or an intake?

It's an intake.  I put it there for 2 reasons 1) it reacts and glows blue to my UV cathodes and 2) I wanted to balance my fans so that it's as close to as I can get to positive pressure.  So now I have 2X140 mm and 1x120mm intakes and 3x120mm exhaust.. 3 fans each I know but I got bigger fans intaking haha ... so positive pressure for the most part lol.  I'm open to any suggestions you may have though

Very nice.  I almost ended up buying that MB.

I like that you removed the HDD cages.  Where are your drives mounted?

Very nice.  I almost ended up buying that MB.

I like that you removed the HDD cages.  Where are your drives mounted?

Thank you sir.  Yea mb is good especially if you're going for blue black theme.  Drives are mounted in the back.

Thank you everyone for your taking the time to visit and for your feed back!

It's an intake.  I put it there for 2 reasons 1) it reacts and glows blue to my UV cathodes and 2) I wanted to balance my fans so that it's as close to as I can get to positive pressure.  So now I have 2X140 mm and 1x120mm intakes and 3x120mm exhaust.. 3 fans each I know but I got bigger fans intaking haha ... so positive pressure for the most part lol.  I'm open to any suggestions you may have though

you make some good points, but if you use ALL your fans for intake, then it will create positive pressure, if you have an exhaust, the positive pressure get's diminished, if you find a better place for it. also you have ALOT of fans cooling your gpu, and heatsinks, if you were to have your PSU drawing air from inside the case it should reduce temps on your gpu since it's an open card design it will cool it better than static pressure :)

just a suggestion feel free to tell me if i'm wrong

you make some good points, but if you use ALL your fans for intake, then it will create positive pressure, if you have an exhaust, the positive pressure get's diminished, if you find a better place for it. also you have ALOT of fans cooling your gpu, and heatsinks, if you were to have your PSU drawing air from inside the case it should reduce temps on your gpu since it's an open card design it will cool it better than static pressure :)

just a suggestion feel free to tell me if i'm wrong

yea you know my rear exhaust I was really tempted to make it intake rather than exhaust but I just think it looks cooler as an exhaust, you know what I mean?

As for the psu I never thought of that.  I just thought the psu would benefit from intaking it's own fresh air.  If I were to flip it, I'm not sure how I feel about my psu sucking in the hot air from the gpu lol

yea you know my rear exhaust I was really tempted to make it intake rather than exhaust but I just think it looks cooler as an exhaust, you know what I mean?

As for the psu I never thought of that.  I just thought the psu would benefit from intaking it's own fresh air.  If I were to flip it, I'm not sure how I feel about my psu sucking in the hot air from the gpu lol

since PSU's dont get that hot, i think the pro's outweigh the con's and since your PSU is highly rated it's really efficient, keeping it nice and cool at all times, and since you have so many intakes, i dont think that i would be too much of a problem, and i prefer aesthetics of the psu being fan-up as the grill of it looks beast, also can do wonders for your cable management ;)

since PSU's dont get that hot, i think the pro's outweigh the con's and since your PSU is highly rated it's really efficient, keeping it nice and cool at all times, and since you have so many intakes, i dont think that i would be too much of a problem, and i prefer aesthetics of the psu being fan-up as the grill of it looks beast, also can do wonders for your cable management ;)

You know what, I'll give that a try!  Thanks bro.  Maybe later tonight

and I totally agree with you about the grill looking beast.  Can't wait to see how it looks!

You know what, I'll give that a try!  Thanks bro.  Maybe later tonight

and I totally agree with you about the grill looking beast.  Can't wait to see how it looks!

hey no problem! also if you keep your fan there, i'd fit a grill onto it to stop your cables from the psu from interfering with the fan blades :)

Very nice well done.

Don't listen to anyone ripping on your hardware. The GTX660 is a good card and it looks awesome in your system with them heatpipes!

Everyone loves an R4 :)

Very nice well done.

Don't listen to anyone ripping on your hardware. The GTX660 is a good card and it looks awesome in your system with them heatpipes!

Everyone loves an R4 :)

W o w.  You're like a celebrity around these parts!  I've actually seen your computer several times and it makes me utterly speechless.  Thanks for the encouraging words I guess sometimes people with better parts talk down to people like me who have average parts

W o w.  You're like a celebrity around these parts!  I've actually seen your computer several times and it makes me utterly speechless.  Thanks for the encouraging words I guess sometimes people with better parts talk down to people like me who have average parts

Best. Joke. Ever. Utterly speechless is @Akula or @alpenwasser they have some super clean R4's!

While computers aren't the most expensive hobby, that doesn't mean they are cheap. That and lets face it a lot of gamers are teens that have casual jobs or rely on their parents for their computer parts. It might be easy for someone that's 30 years old with a large disposable income to rip on a $200 card but if they do, they are being ignorant so pay no attention. I like your build, I think it looks tops!

Do you have any future plans for it, what's next? :)

Best. Joke. Ever. Utterly speechless is @Akula or @alpenwasser they have some super clean R4's!

While computers aren't the most expensive hobby, that doesn't mean they are cheap. That and lets face it a lot of gamers are teens that have casual jobs or rely on their parents for their computer parts. It might be easy for someone that's 30 years old with a large disposable income to rip on a $200 card but if they do, they are being ignorant so pay no attention. I like your build, I think it looks tops!

Do you have any future plans for it, what's next? :)

haha bro, not even joking. I've seen all three of your builds and you 3 are like up there as R4 owners.  There's no denying that.  Looking at your guy's builds inspired me to get my own R4.  Hey, if Alpenwasser's computer is Zeus, I would have to say Akula's is Poseidon with his blue theme.. so that leaves your R4 as... Hades? ;)

Future plans are my bitfenix sleeving that I'm waiting for.. we'll see how happy I am with that.  but eventually I want to try custom sleeving.

Again thanks! You have a good point :)

1. Thanks!

2. Your R4 is pretty damn kickass IMHO. ;)

It's quite curious though. When somebody makes a thread about a planned build,

people start going off on them for "not best performance/buck here, paying too

much there" and so on, but when critiquing an existing build, suddenly budget

considerations seem to be forgotten. thinking.gif

haha bro, not even joking. I've seen all three of your builds and you 3 are like up there as R4 owners.  There's no denying that.  Looking at your guy's builds inspired me to get my own R4.  Hey, if Alpenwasser's computer is Zeus, I would have to say Akula's is Poseidon with his blue theme.. so that leaves your R4 as... Hades? ;)

Now that's truimvirate if I've ever seen one. :D

And thanks! :)

Oh, before I forget: Nice build IMHO. The only thing I'd try to change (if

possible) is maybe see if I could make the GPU power cable run shorter and

more direct instead of that big loop you have there. But that's just being

really picky.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Future plans are my bitfenix sleeving that I'm waiting for.. we'll see how happy I am with that.  but eventually I want to try custom sleeving.

Again thanks! You have a good point :)

Nice,

to go back to an earlier suggestion someone made about a PSU cover. I had one made for my R4. I just got a piece of acrylic and had the people i bought it off bend it at 90 degrees making a false floor. For my set up with the watercooling and hiding the pump it made things really difficult but if you use it as just a false floor and aren't passing anything through it, its a cheap mod to help things look clean.

Custom cables was an interesting experience for me. I found it really hard at the start and didn't like my results, after my second attempt I am a lot happier with the result but need to work on getting perfect length runs so all the cables are run side by side and there's no bunching anywhere. A false floor at bitfenix extensions would look awesome though! So long as you have the room to manage the extra cable length :)

Oh, before I forget: Nice build IMHO. The only thing I'd try to change (if

possible) is maybe see if I could make the GPU power cable run shorter and

more direct instead of that big loop you have there. But that's just being

really picky.

Thanks man.  I appreciate you dropping by too!  It feels crazy getting advice from you pros.  I did change the gpu cable.  Here's an updated pic:

5OqiMKv.jpg

hey no problem! also if you keep your fan there, i'd fit a grill onto it to stop your cables from the psu from interfering with the fan blades :)

Hey I got around to flipping my PSU.  See above for updated picture.  The cables do look somewhat better haha but no doubt it was an easier fit with my fan there.  As for a grill I don't think it's necessary because the cables don't sag down to the fan.

Haven't tested yet if there are any gpu temperature changes.  Will let you know when I do.

EDIT - so it's about 5 degrees cooler when playing SC. lol

Quick update:

Noticed that I messed up when installing the motherboard.. here's a pic to explain what I mean:28yi540.jpg

Going to be a pain in the butt to fix that.  Have to take everything out :(

Nice blue!!!  be cool to get some black or blue sleeved cables or a fully modular PSU

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Nice blue!!!  be cool to get some black or blue sleeved cables or a fully modular PSU

Yea I'm waiting on my blue bitfenix cables.  Thanks!

Nice build :)

What do you mean "you messed up installing the motherboard"?

Are you talking about the IO shield?

Thanks! :)

Yes you can tell on the IO shield that the motherboard is not slotted in all the way.  So the ethernet and usb 2.0 port are not useable.

Hey I got around to flipping my PSU.  See above for updated picture.  The cables do look somewhat better haha but no doubt it was an easier fit with my fan there.  As for a grill I don't think it's necessary because the cables don't sag down to the fan.

Haven't tested yet if there are any gpu temperature changes.  Will let you know when I do.

EDIT - so it's about 5 degrees cooler when playing SC. lol

hey! that's not bad :P also just noticed them heatsinks  :wub:

Oh btw, PSU is fully modular. haha