Final Fantasy Series

SpicyP

So I've been wanting to try playing FF games, but there are so many of them and there are things like dissidia or something like that (what is that exactly?) so I'm kinda lost right now. Is the story connected? as in do I need to play previous FF games before the new one or not?. It's really overwhelming so anyone has a simple guide on this series or recommendation on which FF games I should play? Thank you!

Add me on Steam 😁 Elaine

Codeforces: Jeongyeon

PC Specs

• AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB
  • ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING
  • 2 x 4 GB V-Gen RAM 2666 Mhz
  • Seasonic 450W 80+ Bronze PSU
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Laptop Specs (MSI PS42 8M)

• Intel Core i5-8250U
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • 1 x 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD

I think FFX is the best. 

I also consider it the best artwork ever done for a video game.

Going back a bit the original FFVII is on Steam and I would recommend playing it before the remake. 

After FFX I like FFXII Zodiac Age.

After playing FFX, FFXIII is nice with Lightning(connected to FFX/X2).

These are the games that made a PC gamer like me go out a buy consoles.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 hours ago, jones177 said:

I think FFX is the best. 

I also consider it the best artwork ever done for a video game.

Going back a bit the original FFVII is on Steam and I would recommend playing it before the remake. 

After FFX I like FFXII Zodiac Age.

After playing FFX, FFXIII is nice with Lightning(connected to FFX/X2).

These are the games that made a PC gamer like me go out a buy consoles.

wait so should I buy a console for FF? is the PC port bad or something?

Add me on Steam 😁 Elaine

PC Specs

• AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
  • ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

• Intel Core i5-8250U
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • 1 x 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD

The stories are not connected for most of them which is nice.  It lets them go in new directions.  I played FF7 on the PS1 and PC and had no problems with them.  7 and 10 are great.  FF6 is another favorite of mine.  6 is the first game I played as a kid that had me thinking about video games as an art form rather than just a fun way to spend time after school and the weekend.  Fans tend to debate their favorite ones.  FF1 is showing its age a bit now, but plays very well on a cellphone (What I would have done to have something like this for a long car trip as a kid).  FFIV is okay as well.  I did not like 15.  They locked too much of the plot in DLCs and anime movies.  Once you hit a certain part of the plot, it feels like the budget fell out and it runs on rails.  13 was OK, it is one of the few ones with a direct sequel.  I as not into 13-2 and only got halfway threw it before my PS3 died, and had no desire to try again.  I did not play 13-3 at all.  X one of my favorites also had a sequel (X2) which I like to subtitle "The quest for more money" (I hadn't played 15 yet).  8/9 were ok, but not favorites of mine.  I remember 5 being OK as well, but if you wanted me to remember all the plot points I would have a hard time.  Over all if you like JRPGs, there is a reason this is such a long running and popular series.  My suggestion would be to start with 6,7, or 10.  If you car about graphics then 10 (PS2) will probably be less jarring than 6 (SNES) or 7 (PS1).

2 hours ago, SpicyP said:

They just ported some of these to PC in recent years, prior to that you can only play it on PS. 
FF13 pc port is pretty bad though at launch, i suggest you install FF13fix from Github for better performance if you want to play this game. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, SpicyP said:

They originally came out on the Playstations and took years to come out on PC.

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

They just ported some of these to PC in recent years, prior to that you can only play it on PS. 
FF13 pc port is pretty bad though at launch, i suggest you install FF13fix from Github for better performance if you want to play this game. 

Thanks for the info.

I bought PC version and took a look at it but did not play it since I still had a PS3 plugged into the TV at the time. 

I will check it out with the fixes.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I adore FF9 and would recommened it to anyone trying to get into FF.

Game has so much charm to it

Thanks for all the recommendation guys! since a lot of people is recommending FFX, I guess I'll start with that and see If I like it or not.

Add me on Steam 😁 Elaine

PC Specs

• AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
  • ASUS EX-A320M-GAMING
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

• Intel Core i5-8250U
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • 1 x 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD

Honestly, I would start with the iconic PS1 era series, VII, VIII, and IX. These are probably some of the most debated as to which is the best among fans. Maybe due to nostalgia but probably also because they are so good. They have all received some light graphical updates in recent years and are available on modern consoles and I believe the PC as well.

X is pretty awesome as well and will feel more modern due to the cut scenes and voice acting if that is what you are looking for. I also highly recommend Type-0. It has really awesome combat if you want something more fluid. Plus, it has cute girls in school girl/military school uniforms. If you are willing to go back to the 16 bit era, then you need to play VI, previously known as III in the US. Absolutely amazing and a timeless classic. Even today, the graphics are quite impressive.

Just take a look at this intro. Even today it is quite impact and impressive.

I'm hesitant to recommend the VII remake unless you played the original. I know some would disagree but I think most will appreciate it more if they played the original.

FF8 is my Favorite.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Definitely give FF a try, they are one of my favorite games from when I was a kid. FFVI, FFVII, FFIX are my favourites, but FFVIII and especially FFX are almost equally as great. Yes, FFVII may be overhyped, but it was my introduction to the series and it's setting, story, characters and mindblowingly great graphics just stuck with me ever since - I replayed it at least 5-10 times since first set foor in Midgar 24 years ago.

I entered the game as a little boy and came out of it as a SOLDIER first class. It made me sad (not just like Richard dying in RE1), it had me excited (more than just seeing Cyborg Ninja for the first time in MGS) and surprised me as the story unfolded unlike anything before.

I remember going to a second-hand store (before gamestop existed) with my mom to get Resident Evil - I brought home some good grades and thought I could convince her to get me Resi - didn't work, but she got me a different game I liked instead (can't even remember what it was - could've been Blood Omen). The dude at the store thought I it was cool of my mom to reward my good grades and gave me FFVII for free - didn't touch it for a week or so. I mean the dude gave it to me for free, how good could it be? Also three discs? Seemed too much of a hassle for "ego-shooter slayer pro champion" little me.

But damn, was I hooked immediately. Considering I came from almost only PC gaming (Doom, Quake, Blood, Shadow Warrior, HeXen etc.) this was very unexpected. After I finished FFVII I immediately wanted more and got myself a SNES to play FFVI and basically every other game of the series that was available to me at that time. Truly one of the game changers in the industry. I also started specifically looking for those kinds of games and played stuff like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger (thank you FF for making me do that).

With all of that being said, I can't emphasize enough: I fucking love Resident Evil!

What happened to Resident Evil you might ask? My dad ended up buying the game for me. He cut out the age recommendation (FSK in Germany) from another PS1 game cover and glued it to the Resident Evil cover, so my mom wouldn't freak out.