Super high temperatures on AiO with new CPU + mobo

Hi,

After changing motherboard and CPU I decided that my AiO cooling that I already own will be much better than stock cooler from AMD, when I set everything up ( with right amount of thermal paste :) )

It went to Windows, I quickly checked CPU temps on CPUID HWMonitor and it was over 90 degrees Celsius and growing (on IDLE), after few seconds it got passed 110 and my computer turned off, so I lowered stock voltage a bit because it is in my opinion too high out of the box, but still got high temperatures, after some time I gave up and checked stock cooler, suprisingly it was all ok, idle temps were about 35-40 degrees Celsius.

My previous CPU was i5-4690k overclocked to 4.5 GHz and my AiO worked great with it, a lot better than i5 stock cooler.

So question for you guys, what do you think happened here? I used AM4 retention bracket and screws that were included for my AiO, I am mentioning this because only thing I can think of is that my cooler was not close enough with CPU, because what else could go wrong there? (Yes, pump and radiators were working)

AiOArctic Liquid Freezer 240

Mobo: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Best regards,

Gzyniu

AM4.png

Is the pump working on the AIO? Have you tried remounting it and reapplying the thermal paste (after cleaning the old one of course)?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Hi,

Yes, like I mentioned in the post pump is working, radiators too, also tried reapplying the paste, but only once because that was all I've got then, nothing changed.

Can you hear or feel the pump working? Can you feel coolant moving in the tubes? I have had 5 AIOs and have never had an issue. What brand is the AIO?

EDIT: Just saw the brand. 

Yes, Can feel and hear the pump working, it is Arctic Liquid Freezer 240.

It's the first version. Bought it when there was no V2 :) Can it be problems with screws? or bracket? I got the paste on the AiO after I disconnected it later, but I am not sure if it was tightly pressed to CPU or not, but as I said I got AM4 screws in the package which I used.

Haha, I removed it 2 years ago when I started using it with i5 like I mentioned in the first post :)

Shoot missed that part. I need to slow down and read better. when you removed it the first time did it seem like the paste application was even across the IHS? If so than I have no idea.

Well, you might have the point here, I put a bean in the middle, after taking it off, it was flat and spreaded, but not everywhere, there was a lack of thermal paste in the corners, so I applied a bit more in those spots but there was no difference in temperatures.

2 minutes ago, Gzyniu said:

Well, you might have the point here, I put a bean in the middle, after taking it off, it was flat and spreaded, but not everywhere, there was a lack of thermal paste in the corners, so I applied a bit more in those spots but there was no difference in temperatures.

I am at a loss. I have never had that issue. I have only used Corsair products though.

@Gzyniu

When running, try to feel the outlet tube at the pump and then on the rad and see if they both get warm. If both tubes on the block are getting warm but neither on the rad, it might be blocked somewhere. I assume none of the tubes are kinked right? 

Hi,

Both tubes are straight, thanks, I will check the temperature on the tube when I receive another thermal paste, but that same AiO was working correctly one hour earlier with another CPU, what changed is Mobo, CPU, thermal paste, AiO bracket for AM4, AiO AM4 screws, and pump cable that goes to CPU PUMP connector (didnt have that one on previous mobo, it was connected to CPU connector then) and fan cable is connected to CPU FAN. That's all.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:03 AM, Gzyniu said:

Hi,

Both tubes are straight, thanks, I will check the temperature on the tube when I receive another thermal paste, but that same AiO was working correctly one hour earlier with another CPU, what changed is Mobo, CPU, thermal paste, AiO bracket for AM4, AiO AM4 screws, and pump cable that goes to CPU PUMP connector (didnt have that one on previous mobo, it was connected to CPU connector then) and fan cable is connected to CPU FAN. That's all.

It’s possible that some air bubble get trapped inside the pump, after long time of use the liquid inside evaporates over the time through tubes. 
On your place I would take it out , try to shake it, remount from scratch , especially the bracket cos you swapped that, and than install it. Once installed check the temps

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

@Whiro Thanks, but it will be hard to check, even after shaking it and remounting I have no certainty that this bubble is out now or not, when do I stop shaking? :) It might be hard to verify, I am waiting for the thermal paste now and will check everything I learned from that post and get back with results!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 11:20 AM, Gzyniu said:

@Whiro Thanks, but it will be hard to check, even after shaking it and remounting I have no certainty that this bubble is out now or not, when do I stop shaking? :) It might be hard to verify, I am waiting for the thermal paste now and will check everything I learned from that post and get back with results!

Any luck with the paste or bubbles?

Radiator was not changed even a bit when I changed motherboard and cpu, so radiator is not the one to blame :)

Funny story (not so funny at the moment it happened but... still)

Apart from the fact that my CPU got stuck on stock radiator (with stock thermalpaste) and when I removed it, it got pulled out from the closed socket and few pins were bent and one broke completely, but after soldering and straighting I did, CPU works fine.

I have an updates here guys, but still not solved :), I once again checked AiO with new ryzen, still the same issue, so I just simply pressed my finger in the middle of the pump bracket, temperatures dropped from 90 to 30 degrees, I tried adding few metal washers between standoffs and the screw so there would be much more force pulling the pump to the CPU, but still no difference, I reached to the AiO manufacturer, they will provide me with their own AM4 backplate, hopefuly this will help, but I do not have other ideas, they also.

Best Regards!

34 minutes ago, Gzyniu said:

I have an updates here guys, but still not solved :), I once again checked AiO with new ryzen, still the same issue, so I just simply pressed my finger in the middle of the pump bracket, temperatures dropped from 90 to 30 degrees, I tried adding few metal washers between standoffs and the screw so there would be much more force pulling the pump to the CPU, but still no difference, I reached to the AiO manufacturer, they will provide me with their own AM4 backplate, hopefuly this will help, but I do not have other ideas, they also.

So it's just not making proper contact. 

A) you did something wrong when installing the cooler, maybe flipped a bracket the wrong way around or used the wrong standoffs or ...
B) either or both the IHS and coldplate are too concave to work with each other properly.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Thanks for the reply, standoffs and bracket is correct, i even checked the length of those and they are matching every info I can find on AM4 standoffs.

Not sure how to check if IHS and colplate are too concave, they seem to be completely flat when i looked at both of them, and that AiO is working perfectly fine with my old i5 4690k.

use something like a ruler or any other perfectly straight edge and put it on both the IHS and the coldplate. Then you'll see how concave it is. A little bit is okay but some are just too far off. You can lap the IHS but with Ryzen having pins it's a bit of a delicate feast - and you have to be okay with sanding the IHS. You can also try the stock cooler. If the stock cooler does an okay job at cooling your CPU it's either a bad mount, just sort of incompatible surface geometries or just bad luck.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!