Which is the better 144hz/165hz monitor? (under £350)

OllieGE
Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,
18 minutes ago, OllieGE said:

I've seen reviews of ghosting and colour banding with the MSI optix, ghosting is my main worry as its more noticeable on VA than TN. Thanks for the quick response :D

There shouldn't be a huge issue regarding that. It really depends whether MSI spend extra time and money to improve pixel response. Here's an explanation of ghosting I found on the forums

The problem with VA panels is their poor pixel response, specifically their dark transitions. Unless its had focused R&D on the panel to improve pixel response, its going to have significant ghosting, making any high refresh rate it may have pointless, or at the very least less useful than a fast TN panel.

NOTE: advertised response times are ALWAYS wrong, by a large degree. Ignore them.

For reference, the slowest u want any pixel transition (not the average) to be for a given frequency is:

60Hz = 16.6ms or better

120hz= 8.33ms or better

144hz = 6.9ms or better

240hz = 4.1ms or better

Consider that the fastest i have seen tested, with an 'average' response time (so not even based on the slowest) for VA is around 10ms, thus a VA panel cant even run fast enough to handle 120hz.

Having a Monitor that can do 144hz, , thus a new frame is shown every 6.9ms, but using a panel that has a pixel response of 10ms, means the pixel cant transition fully to the required color before the next frame needs displaying, resulting ghosting/blurring.

If that worries you, you can find IPS panels that shouldn't have ghosting issues within the same budget. A good example is this AOC Q27G2U 27" QHD IPS 144hz Monitor

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/aoc-q27g2u-27-qhd-ips-freesync-monitor-q27g2u-bk/version.asp?wgu=272145_59032_15866963139163_6477ccf619&wgexpiry=1594472313&utm_source=Reevoo Limited&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains

Which of these is the better monitor for fairly competitive gaming whilst wanting my game to look somewhat decent (2060 super and ryzen 3600) I am not too fussed about G-SYNC / Freesync

Asus VG278QR 27'' 165Hz 0.5ms Esport Gaming Monitor (https://www.ebuyer.com/868288-asus-vg278qr-27-165hz-0-5ms-esport-gaming-monitor-vg278qr?wgu=267255_206719_15866347852321_b241f2e568&wgexpiry=1594410785&utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=97907&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker, LLC_206719 )

LG 27GL650F-B 27" (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27gl650f-b-27-1920x1080-ips-144hz-1ms-freesync-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-15b-lg.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw1cX0BRBmEiwAy9tKHvMyARQ-fBRpW7_86Ydgti1Kr4WkDUTVu4EDNHxRLRem4DVOM5uvgBoC4tYQAvD_BwE )

MSI Optix MAG271CQR (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MW4RZGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8u7JEbEFMZBT9?th=1 )

( I have listed a VA, TN and IPS panel)

I am open to other suggestions as well.
Cheers :)

In my opinion I'd choose the MSI Optix, it's a VA panel which is great, not the best on colour accuracy, compared to IPS, but much better than TN panels, it's also curved which pretty nice but also has the highest resolution of them both which can make it easier to see enemies which is especially useful on a screen of this size. Also the difference between 144hz and 165hz will not be very noticeable either.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

In my opinion I'd choose the MSI Optix, it's a VA panel which is great, not the best on colour accuracy, compared to IPS, but much better than TN panels, it's also curved which pretty nice but also has the highest resolution of them both which can make it easier to see enemies which is especially useful on a screen of this size. Also the difference between 144hz and 165hz will not be very noticeable either.

I've seen reviews of ghosting and colour banding with the MSI optix, ghosting is my main worry as its more noticeable on VA than TN. Thanks for the quick response :D

18 minutes ago, OllieGE said:

There shouldn't be a huge issue regarding that. It really depends whether MSI spend extra time and money to improve pixel response. Here's an explanation of ghosting I found on the forums

The problem with VA panels is their poor pixel response, specifically their dark transitions. Unless its had focused R&D on the panel to improve pixel response, its going to have significant ghosting, making any high refresh rate it may have pointless, or at the very least less useful than a fast TN panel.

NOTE: advertised response times are ALWAYS wrong, by a large degree. Ignore them.

For reference, the slowest u want any pixel transition (not the average) to be for a given frequency is:

60Hz = 16.6ms or better

120hz= 8.33ms or better

144hz = 6.9ms or better

240hz = 4.1ms or better

Consider that the fastest i have seen tested, with an 'average' response time (so not even based on the slowest) for VA is around 10ms, thus a VA panel cant even run fast enough to handle 120hz.

Having a Monitor that can do 144hz, , thus a new frame is shown every 6.9ms, but using a panel that has a pixel response of 10ms, means the pixel cant transition fully to the required color before the next frame needs displaying, resulting ghosting/blurring.

If that worries you, you can find IPS panels that shouldn't have ghosting issues within the same budget. A good example is this AOC Q27G2U 27" QHD IPS 144hz Monitor

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/aoc-q27g2u-27-qhd-ips-freesync-monitor-q27g2u-bk/version.asp?wgu=272145_59032_15866963139163_6477ccf619&wgexpiry=1594472313&utm_source=Reevoo Limited&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Thank you for sharing that thread, when I look at the monitor anywhere except that website it says its a VA. In fact even on that website it says IPS in the title but VA in the description.