two monitors = less fps??

janlabitad

hey guys, im planning to get 2 monitors for my setup and i was wondering if would it affect my fps of the game im playing on my main display. thanks for your replies in advance :)

14 minutes ago, janlabitad said:

hey guys, im planning to get 2 monitors for my setup and i was wondering if would it affect my fps of the game im playing on my main display. thanks for your replies in advance :)

When your GPU drives two monitors, in multi-display mode, it is like increasing the resolution to the total area of the two monitors combined, however a lot of games and software aren't really multi-monitor aware unless the monitors are exactly the same model. Especially 4K monitors.

What I would suggest is that if you have an existing GPU, and you can get 120fps at the resolution you normally play at, you can get 60fps while both monitors are operational on software that uses both. 

If software doesn't use it, eg you play a game on the main monitor and run netflix/youtube on the secondary, then the render engine will only be running on the main monitor and thus the performance won't be pulled down as much.

I would recommend using the second monitor on the same GPU unless you have a SLI/Crossfire configuration with identical GPU's. If you have a SLI type configuration, you may be able to split the performance, but in general, that's not how it works.