Is the GTX 680 still viable in 2020?

Bobotie
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

It depends on the game - some e-sport games at 1080 med and other, more demanding titles at 1080/720 low would probably work. But it's a power hungry and old card so even if the performance is there, the efficiency and modern feature support definitely not.

So i'm thinking about using an gtx 680 to game on,

but is it still viable in 2020? does it still hold enough power to play modern games smoothly?

1 minute ago, Bobotie said:

So i'm thinking about using an gtx 680 to game on,

but is it still viable in 2020? does it still hold enough power to play modern games smoothly?

Power? Sorta. Vram? Nope. It's a 2gb card and that is not enough at all anymore. The hd 7970 is 3gb and fares a lot better than it nowadays but still those cards are old and I don't recommend using either.

Got a budget?

Got a budget?

Selling my 1050 ti because its incompatible.

limited to gtx 680 or hd 6000's.

budget: as much as i can get for my 1050 ti.

Just now, Bobotie said:

Selling my 1050 ti because its incompatible.

limited to gtx 680 or hd 6000's.

budget: as much as i can get for my 1050 ti.

Full system specs please.

It depends on the game - some e-sport games at 1080 med and other, more demanding titles at 1080/720 low would probably work. But it's a power hungry and old card so even if the performance is there, the efficiency and modern feature support definitely not.

Just now, jaslion said:

Full system specs please.

CPU: i5-2400

GPU: -

MOBO: pegatron 2ab5

PSU: Corsair vs 650

Ram: 10 gb of ddr3 @ 1600 mhz

2 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

It depends on the game - some e-sport games at 1080 med/high and other, more demanding titles at 1080 low would probably work. But it's a power hungry and old card so even if the performance is there, the efficiency and modern feature support definitely not.

So for instance BF1, that would run at low settings?

am i limited in directx level?

4 minutes ago, Bobotie said:

CPU: i5-2400

GPU: -

MOBO: pegatron 2ab5

PSU: Corsair vs 650

Ram: 10 gb of ddr3 @ 1600 mhz

You are kinda out of luck here. These are legacy bios boards with a 35w limit on the pcie slot. So basically nothing but really low end cards will work.

3 minutes ago, Bobotie said:

So for instance BF1, that would run at low settings?

am i limited in directx level?

Vram is the issue bf1 does not run well at all on 2gb cards. Let alone on a i5 2400.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

You are kinda out of luck here. These are legacy bios boards with a 35w limit on the pcie slot. So basically nothing but really low end cards will work.

thats a bummer, thanks anyways for the information!

looks like i need to upgrade the MOBO then.

Just now, Bobotie said:

thats a bummer, thanks anyways for the information!

looks like i need to upgrade the MOBO then.

I'd say start saving a bit to just replace the system as well an i5 2400 isn't gonna play new games today. Collect about 200-250 pounds and you should be able to build a good enough used system.

Just now, jaslion said:

I'd say start saving a bit to just replace the system as well an i5 2400 isn't gonna play new games today. Collect about 200-250 pounds and you should be able to build a good enough used system.

lol this is my first system and i never used it, not gonna throw it away. thanks for the tip, but i'm kinda broke, so im spending as little as possible here.

1 minute ago, Bobotie said:

lol this is my first system and i never used it, not gonna throw it away. thanks for the tip, but i'm kinda broke, so im spending as little as possible here.

I'm not telling you to throw it away. Just giving a suggestion to get a combo like this:

i7 3770 / i7 2600

8gb ram

rx570

There's a lot of prebuilts out there that have this and do not have pcie slot limits. That's why I'm recommending you this route instead of upgrading the current system as well you'll just spend more.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I'm not telling you to throw it away. Just giving a suggestion to get a combo like this:

i7 3770 / i7 2600

8gb ram

rx570

There's a lot of prebuilts out there that have this and do not have pcie slot limits. That's why I'm recommending you this route instead of upgrading the current system as well you'll just spend more.

well, upgrading will cost me 60 bucks i guess, and buying a new prebuilt is 90?

i really appreciate the help, and i know the i5-2400 is weak, but again, im super broke, so i'm doing the cheapest possible. how am i going to spend more this way if i may ask?

7 minutes ago, Bobotie said:

well, upgrading will cost me 60 bucks i guess, and buying a new prebuilt is 90?

i really appreciate the help, and i know the i5-2400 is weak, but again, im super broke, so i'm doing the cheapest possible. how am i going to spend more this way if i may ask?

Well I assume you want to play modern games which well any 4 core i5 isn't up to do anymore so you'd upgrade to a 4c/8t cpu which costs a fair bit of money (easily another 60) and most prebuilts can be had for 100 with those cpu's allowing you to swap what you need and sell off the other system to make back money.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

sell off the other system to make back money.

well, i'm totally broke, and fine with lowering settings to medium. many benchmarks on youtube still show good performance with the 1050 ti or any other budget gpu.

and i'm not selling anything before i have anything new that replaces it, and im too impatient to wait 3 months to buy a new prebuilt. i think ill go with the motherboard upgrade, and upgrade cpu later down the line.

Just now, Bobotie said:

well, i'm totally broke, and fine with lowering settings to medium. many benchmarks on youtube still show good performance with the 1050 ti or any other budget gpu.

and i'm not selling anything before i have anything new that replaces it, and im too impatient to wait 3 months to buy a new prebuilt. i think ill go with the motherboard upgrade, and upgrade cpu later down the line.

If you don't have a 1050ti already look for rx570/rx580's used they sell used for the same price with much better performance. Also lowering settings isn't gonna help in cpu bound games as well the gpu will be fine and the cpu will struggle. When buying on a budget patience is key.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you don't have a 1050ti already look for rx570/rx580's used they sell used for the same price with much better performance. Also lowering settings isn't gonna help in cpu bound games as well the gpu will be fine and the cpu will struggle. When buying on a budget patience is key.

well, if you want to know the entire story;

i bought an rx 570, but it didn't work, because my motherboard doesn't support UEFI.

then i exchanged it for an 1050 ti, because internet told me it would work, but it didn't.

aaaand now i'm here.

EDIT: and the best gpu i can get is an gtx 680

Edited by Bobotie
add extra info

4 minutes ago, Bobotie said:

well, if you want to know the entire story;

i bought an rx 570, but it didn't work, because my motherboard doesn't support UEFI.

then i exchanged it for an 1050 ti, because internet told me it would work, but it didn't.

aaaand now i'm here.

EDIT: and the best gpu i can get is an gtx 680

A gtx 680 is only a tiny bit better but if this is a 4gb 1050 ti then keep the 1050. Also the 680 is old and will probably lose driver support soon anyways so the 1050 is the smarter choice.

Just now, jaslion said:

A gtx 680 is only a tiny bit better but if this is a 4gb 1050 ti then keep the 1050. Also the 680 is old and will probably lose driver support soon anyways so the 1050 is the smarter choice.

ok, thanks for the help! really appreciate how you helped me figuring this out.

i will be buying a cheap H61/Z77 motherboard, and enjoy some games lol