How do I access the web interface from another device?

How do I access the FAH web interface from another system? My folding rig is running Ubuntu Server so I can't log into the web interface from that machine. I tried logging in to http://192.168.70.73:7396/ (that's the local IP of the server) but I got a 403 access denied error. Do I have to enable something in the config for this to work? 

27 minutes ago, InfiniteVortex said:

How do I access the FAH web interface from another system? My folding rig is running Ubuntu Server so I can't log into the web interface from that machine. I tried logging in to http://192.168.70.73:7396/ (that's the local IP of the server) but I got a 403 access denied error. Do I have to enable something in the config for this to work? 

Yes, you need to open the web interface for your IP range. Here's my config:

<config>
  [...]

<!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 172.16.4.0/24'/>

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1 172.16.4.0/24'/>

<!-- Web Server -->
  <web-allow v='127.0.0.1 172.16.4.0/24'/>

[...]
</config>

As you can see I've gone with the "no password required" option, since I don't feel I need that inside my own network.

Obviously you want to replace the IP range with your own :)

~edit: The "command" part allows you to use the FAHControl program from another PC to view and configure the remote client which I find to be pretty convenient. I'm folding on my server and my local PC and I can use FAHControl on my local PC to see/configure both machines.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

7 minutes ago, InfiniteVortex said:

I've added it to the config.xml and I still can't connect.

You need to restart the client after making these changes. Also make sure it's the config file the client is actually using. And like I said you need to replace

172.16.4.0/24

with your own IP range (most likely 192.168.70.0/24).

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You need to restart the client after making these changes. Also make sure it's the config file the client is actually using. And like I said you need to replace

172.16.4.0/24

with your own IP range (most likely 192.168.70.0/24).

Still doesn't work.

Also, how do I fully shut down the client? I just have the client saved in /home/server/fah/. Whenever I press Ctrl+C to exit, the client stops but when I run htop, there are multiple FAH processes running. I then have to kill each one individually. Am I running it incorrectly? 

23 minutes ago, InfiniteVortex said:

Still doesn't work.

Do you have a firewall set up on your Ubuntu server that may be blocking the port?

You can use "sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN" while the client is running to check if it is listening on that port. You're most likely going to see a lot of results and one of them should be:

FAHClient   538   fahclient    8u  IPv4  18700      0t0  TCP *:7396 (LISTEN)
FAHClient   538   fahclient    9u  IPv4  18701      0t0  TCP *:36330 (LISTEN)

That tells you the client is listening on port 7396 (and 36330 for FAHControl). If that's the case then I'd definitely check the server's firewall.

If you're running the client simply by starting it, I assume the config.xml is located in the same directory? On my Debian server it is using the config.xml from "/etc/fahclient/config.xml". You can specify "FAHClient --config /bla/config.xml" to make sure it's using the one you want.

20 minutes ago, InfiniteVortex said:

Also, how do I fully shut down the client? I just have the client saved in /home/server/fah/. Whenever I press Ctrl+C to exit, the client stops but when I run htop, there are multiple FAH processes running. I then have to kill each one individually. Am I running it incorrectly?

I've used the .deb to install it on my Debian server, but I'm also running the client "as is" on my local machine. If you simply press Ctrl+C it'll take some time for the folding core(s) to shut down and they may sometimes hang. I've found it's better to Pause or Finish the client (e.g. using FAHControl) before terminating it. That way jobs should already be stopped when you try to stop the client.

19 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Do you have a firewall set up on your Ubuntu server that may be blocking the port?

You can use "sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN" while the client is running to check if it is listening on that port. You're most likely going to see a lot of results and one of them should be:

FAHClient   538   fahclient    8u  IPv4  18700      0t0  TCP *:7396 (LISTEN)
FAHClient   538   fahclient    9u  IPv4  18701      0t0  TCP *:36330 (LISTEN)

That tells you the client is listening on port 7396 (and 36330 for FAHControl). If that's the case then I'd definitely check the server's firewall.

If you're running the client simply by starting it, I assume the config.xml is located in the same directory? On my Debian server it is using the config.xml from "/etc/fahclient/config.xml". You can specify "FAHClient --config /bla/config.xml" to make sure it's using the one you want.

I've used the .deb to install it on my Debian server, but I'm also running the client "as is" on my local machine. If you simply press Ctrl+C it'll take some time for the folding core(s) to shut down and they may sometimes hang. I've found it's better to Pause or Finish the client (e.g. using FAHControl) before terminating it. That way jobs should already be stopped when you try to stop the client.

I have disabled all firewall rules on the system (iptables -F and ufw disable). And yes, FAH is listening on the port.

Now I'm getting spammed with these errors: 

09:58:13:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:80
09:58:13:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '65.254.110.245:80': Empty work server assignment
09:58:13:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 18.218.241.186:80
09:58:14:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': Empty work server assignment
09:58:14:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment

It seems to be trying to connect to only two assign servers: 65.254.110.245:80, and 18.218.241.186:80. However, 18.218.241.186 isn't even on the FAH server list. My CPU seems to be folding just fine but the GPU is idle because it can't get a work unit.

1 hour ago, InfiniteVortex said:

I have disabled all firewall rules on the system (iptables -F and ufw disable). And yes, FAH is listening on the port.

If FAH is listening on that port and there's no firewall, then I'm not really sure what the issue could be. I mean it's probably a given, but the other PC is in the same IP range, right? So e.g. the server has 192.168.70.73 and your desktop has 192.168.70.x as well.

1 hour ago, InfiniteVortex said:

It seems to be trying to connect to only two assign servers: 65.254.110.245:80, and 18.218.241.186:80. However, 18.218.241.186 isn't even on the FAH server list. My CPU seems to be folding just fine but the GPU is idle because it can't get a work unit.

I'm seeing the same thing a lot. There's so many people folding right now that there's not enough work to go around. My GPU will sometimes idle for several hours before new work is available. So that's pretty normal right now.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If FAH is listening on that port and there's no firewall, then I'm not really sure what the issue could be. I mean it's probably a given, but the other PC is in the same IP range, right? So e.g. the server has 192.168.70.73 and your desktop has 192.168.70.x as well.

Yeah it's on the same IP range. It's okay, I can just control it from the terminal. Thanks for the help.

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I'm seeing the same thing a lot. There's so many people folding right now that there's not enough work to go around. My GPU will sometimes idle for several hours before new work is available. So that's pretty normal right now.

Is it an issue of FAH not having enough server capacity or is there just nothing to research in general?

2 minutes ago, InfiniteVortex said:

Is it an issue of FAH not having enough server capacity or is there just nothing to research in general?

A mix of both I think. Servers are overloaded because the number of folders skyrocketed and researchers have to actually create workloads that can be distributed and that's not something that can be done that quickly.

You can also read the news here: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/

• 2 years later...

For anyone else ending up here, I found using the range of:
192.168.0.0/16
Instead of using the range of:
192.168.0.0/24
Allowed me to connect to the Web Control on other computers in my network.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m