Quad booting windows Linux from vhdx

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

You can force Windows 7 to boot in UEFI mode but its not simple. It involves taking all the boot files from the Windows 10 installer and using them to replace the ones on the Windows 7 installer.

Ok this seems nuts but I have my reasons. I would like to quad boot from my laptop so I can run win server 16, win 10, win 7 32bit and ubuntu. So far I got my server installation done minus a couple Bluetooth drivers and created a win 10 vhdx that shows up as a boot option and works. Issue is win 7 32 bit on a uefi setup. That vhdx won't boot. Enable legacy option ROMs makes it show on the boot menu though. Win 7 32 bit is on a mbr vhdx everything else is gpt. So I'm posting here because I think grub 2 can help. From what I've read I can maybe boot win 7 and ubuntu from grub and chainload over to server and 10. This is a really unfamiliar territory for me so I'm looking for advice. I also don't know how to create a bootable Ubuntu vhdx from my server 16. Any and all help will be appreciated.

I've never tried this but I suppose it's possible. Here is everything you need to know about grub, good luck.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Install Ubuntu and let it install Grub into the MBR/EUFI partition. During installation it should pick up all Win-OS versions and add them as options in the boot menu. Prior to doing that, just for the "in the event of" scenario, create a bootable rescue disk. My preference is SysrescueCD, yours could differ. ;)

HTH!

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Ok so it's nothing different than just install. That's cool. Any advice on making a bootable Ubuntu vhdx?

Oowww, now I see: you're installing in a virtual machine? I was under the impression you'd be installing on bare-metal.

In any case, you might be in luck: check if Ubuntu has a suitable virtual disk you can use as is, or convert to your particular format. Could possibly in the form of an app-store image or something, not sure (non-Ubuntu user here :P )

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

No not installing a vm. I have server 2016 installed normal as a uefi got installation. I then created a dynamically allocated vhdx and burned windows 10 into it and made it bootable. Now when I restart the PC I have 2 boot options win server and win 10. I made a win 7 32bit mbr vhdx that also shows up in the boot menu but doesn't boot reason I think I need to get Ubuntu up and going for use of grub 2. What I don't know is windows has an option to send boot files to a vhdx to make them bootable. I do not believe I can use those commands for a Linux install. I've seen a couple videos on doing this and one was making it using a vm that I didn't understand and the other was Russian..... It is pretty cool not to have any added partitions and each os only consumes the amount of space needed on my disk.

You can force Windows 7 to boot in UEFI mode but its not simple. It involves taking all the boot files from the Windows 10 installer and using them to replace the ones on the Windows 7 installer.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I still might be interested in that. Setup time on this isn't an issue. Once it is setup I'll make a mirrored drive for a backup

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

If I did this would I be installing win 7 with gpt then? 

24 minutes ago, frankr2994 said:

If I did this would I be installing win 7 with gpt then? 

Yeah.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ok I've been playing with this and instead of trying to get it to work practically I'm in it for a learning experience now. I guess I should start a new thread but just swapping some boot files didn't work. I'm going to dive into unpacking the win 7 wim file and start replacing things from win 10 x86 in there.