Two devices to one set of speakers?

Trail Mixorz

I'm have my pc outputting to speakers for when i want to listen to music without using my headphones, but i also want my xbox 360 to output on the same speakers without having to switch the cable every time because it starts to get annoying

This is how I have to do it now if i want sound from my pc or xbox.

E5Q6a7c.png

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

How are you connecting the Speakers to the PC and the Xbox?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

How are you connecting the Speakers to the PC and the Xbox?

Speakers have an auxiliary 3.5mm cable which i can plug in my computer's 3.5mm output, and then if I want to use xbox I have to switch it and unplug the cable from the pc and plug it into my xbox's 3.5mm output.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

you could hook your xbox up to the line in on your pc and set it to passthroug

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

you could hook your xbox up to the line in on your pc and set it to passthroug

How would I do this? Wouldn't that eliminate my mic input?

brand and model of speakers?

ever thought about a Y-splitter?

JBL Creature II.

How would a Y-splitter work?

Speakers have an auxiliary 3.5mm cable which i can plug in my computer's 3.5mm output, and then if I want to use xbox I have to switch it and unplug the cable from the pc and plug it into my xbox's 3.5mm output.

With this you just have to press a button to switch from 1 device to the other:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm-STEREO-Manual-Sharing-Switch-BOX-Audio-Speaker-selector-way-2-1-/300815792392?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item460a04b908

A simple Y splitter wouldn't work very good in this case, since the audio from the PC and the Xbox would reach the speakers at the same time, interfering with each other unless you turn off the device you are not using every time.

For now he is not able to use both at the same time. With a y-spitter he can play on the xBox and listen to music or not...

So either you put one on mute or not and have the sounds of both at the same time...

More complicated than just pressing a button to select the source, and the sound would get distorted when both devices are playing music/sound.  :P

complicated? well, it's not my system it's yours... so you choose :)

I have everything connected to my amp (PC, TV, BD Player), so I'm also not able to play everything at once and I don't miss it. Just saying. :)

Is not my system either. :lol:

With this you just have to press a button to switch from 1 device to the other:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PORT-3-5mm-STEREO-Manual-Sharing-Switch-BOX-Audio-Speaker-selector-way-2-1-/300815792392?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item460a04b908

A simple Y splitter wouldn't work very good in this case, since the audio from the PC and the Xbox would reach the speakers at the same time, interfering with each other unless you turn off the device you are not using every time.

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_276462343_00-1.0x0/3-5mm-headphone-earphone-y-splitter-adapter.jpg

http://www.pccables.com/images/35mm_STEREO_JACK_YSPLITTER_FMM_CABLE.jpg

one of those... depends how you should manage the connection. :)

I think the fist is the one that solves your problem.

For now he is not able to use both at the same time. With a y-spitter he can play on the xBox and listen to music or not...

So either you put one on mute or not and have the sounds of both at the same time...

I don't want to have both playing at the same necessarily. I just want an easier way to switch. Pressing a button sounds good enough, just anything so I don't have to get up and change cables 5 times a day. Also, a simple splitter I don't think would work, because it would have both playing at once, which probably would mess with the audio. So I need 2+ male inputs (from pc and xbox) with a male output (to my speakers)

I'm not sure if you can have a mic and line in on at the same time, but otherwise you'd have to use a mixer. I have no idea how expansive they are though.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

I don't want to have both playing at the same necessarily. I just want an easier way to switch. Pressing a button sounds good enough, just anything so I don't have to get up and change cables 5 times a day. Also, a simple splitter I don't think would work, because it would have both playing at once, which probably would mess with the audio. So I need 2+ male inputs (from pc and xbox) with a male output (to my speakers)

Then that device I linked will work perfectly for you, just need to pick up 2 extra cables to do all the connections.

If PC and Xbox are near eack other, easiest to plug tge xbox into the PC's line in and set windows to "Listen to this device"

Never have to disconnect it, and it's easy to mix volumes if you ever wanted with Window's sound manager.

I'm not sure if you can have a mic and line in on at the same time, but otherwise you'd have to use a mixer. I have no idea how expansive they are though.

I have a mixer but I don't want it turned on all day while I'm the computer

Then that device I linked will work perfectly for you, just need to pick up 2 extra cables to do all the connections.

What cables would I need to get? Just two more aux cables?

I've seen these ehm.... "manual" Y-splitters. They basicly took 3 inputs and had a nob that you could turn in order to select your desired channel. I don't really know where to buy them but I though I'd let you know that those exsists.

If PC and Xbox are near eack other, easiest to plug tge xbox into the PC's line in and set windows to "Listen to this device"

Never have to disconnect it, and it's easy to mix volumes if you ever wanted with Window's sound manager.

Gotcha, but I have a mic plugged into my pc so how would I go on doing this?

Gotcha, but I have a mic plugged into my pc so how would I go on doing this?

Right click on the line in when you've got sound devices window open, Click properties, not sure which tab (sorry, smart phone is dumb) but there will be a checkbox next to "Listen to this device" or something like that.

Wont effect mic usage, just keep the mic set as default.

I've seen these ehm.... "manual" Y-splitters. They basicly took 3 inputs and had a nob that you could turn in order to select your desired channel. I don't really know where to buy them but I though I'd let you know that those exsists.

maybe I'll make my own with my brother, put his engineering degree to use haha

What cables would I need to get? Just two more aux cables?

Yeah just 2 more auxiliary cables.