Why not Mad Catz?

Hi guys,

I'm using a Mad Catz R.A.T. 7. This is a wired 6400 DPI shooter gaming laser mouse with five keys, adjustable thumb rest (angle and position), adjustable and exchangeable palm rest (comes with three), exchangeable pinkie rest (also three), five adjustment weights, a dedicated precision aim button, DPI quick adjustment (four user-preset settings), quick profile switching (three profiles) and a thumb scroll wheel. It's outer parts are made of plastic, while the base is aluminium. Also it's Mac compatible.

The best Razer shooter mouse in the same price category* is the Taipan, which lacks all the physical adjustment options and the thumb wheel, instead comes with a 8400 DPI sensor, a little more buttons and is ambidextrous.

Logitech offers the slightly more expensive* G700s without Mac compatibility, it also lacks all the physical adjustment options and the thumb wheel. In exchange it offers even more buttons and a 8200 DPI sensor.

From Corsair, the also slightly more expensive* M95 is thrown into the ring. With 15 keys, this surely isn't a dedicated shooter mouse, like the Logitech it uses a 8200 DPI sensor and lacks Mac compatibility. And, it also doesn't offer any physical adjustment options (and also lacks the thumb wheel).

This difference in price/performance-ratio appears in every price segment that Mad Catz mice exist in afaik. So every time I see someone on this subforum asking for mouse choice advice and only giving options from the latter three**, I wonder why Mad Catz is left out. Can someone please solve this mystery?

Regards,

Tataffe

transform-top.jpg

*) Comparison based on Euro pricing in Germany.

**) See for example http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115782-m65-g500s-or-deathadder or http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117404-razer-naga-2014-vs-logitech-g602

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Look how ugly it is. 

If I wanted a transformer on my desk I would go for a modular toy. Not some uncomfortable ghastly sci-fi mouse.. 

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig 

All the mice you mentioned are mediocre laser mice. Laser basicly all but guarantees acceleration and worse tracking. The best mice to buy right now (for FPS anyway) are the G400s, Deathadder, and Steelseries Rival (maybe the Roccat Kone optical too). Notice a trend? All three of those mice cost less than the R.A.T. 7. There are other mice I have surely missed but those three (with the exception of the Rival although I personally think it will get popular soon) are all widely used and generally regarded as fine mice. 

Plus their name is "Mad Catz". Seriously did the company owner let his infant child name his company?

Also your tags are awesome xD

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

All the mice you mentioned are mediocre laser mice. Laser basicly all but guarantees acceleration and worse tracking. The best mice to buy right now (for FPS anyway) are the G400s, Deathadder, and Steelseries Rival (maybe the Roccat Kone optical too). Notice a trend? All three of those mice cost less than the R.A.T. 7. There are other mice I have surely missed but those three (with the exception of the Rival) are all widely used and generally regarded as fine mice. 

1619420_10151672433744058_636258503_n.jp

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig 

Look how ugly it is. 

If I wanted a transformer on my desk I would go for a modular toy. Not some uncomfortable ghastly sci-fi mouse.. 

I don't like the grip and design of these mice.

Uhm, what? I think Mad Catz mice are the coolest looking ones in existence. However I factored that out above because that is purely based on taste.

This difference in price/performance-ratio appears in every price segment that Mad Catz mice exist in afaik. So every time I see someone on this subforum asking for mouse choice advice and only giving options from the latter three**, I wonder why Mad Catz is left out. Can someone please solve this mystery?

Regards,

Tataffe

First of all DPI doesn't matter, like at all. Nobody is actually going to use their mouse at anything about 2000 dpi at max (most people stay around 800). Unlike what manufacturers make you think, a higher DPI does not mean a more accurate shot at all. Any mouse that doesn't have a DPI of less than 1000 or so should be enough for 99% of users. 

Second, all the mice you listed are overpriced laser mic. Laser mice are not bad, but the problem is manufacturers use them because they can boost the DPI to ridiculous useless numbers, just to make others think their mouse is better. In reality, the more classic optical mice generally have better tracking and less acceleration issues.

If you really want a great mouse for professional gaming or such things, you would definitely go optical and get something such as a g400s (or g400, which basically just has a different look and is older), or a microsoft intellimouse, or a cm storm xornet (also optical with a "flawless" sensor), and some steelseries mice. And of course the microsoft intellimouse is still a great classic with a "perfect" sensor. 

Laser mice are not bad by any means, but optical mice are generally cheaper and have sensors that have less issues, that is all. 

Oh and the reason why roccat is never mentioned for laser mice is because they are known for spotty reliability. Some razer mice out there also have really crappy reliability. 

Peripherals are a hugely personal thing. Some don't like the look of it. You might. Looks alone don't make a product crappy.
For example, I don't like any of the mice that @Osmium considers "the best".

Mad Catz is likely left out because they're hugely expensive. A lot of people probably don't appreciate the adjustability of them (I'm not sure if it's useful since I haven't used one)

On this forum in particular there's a lot of younger people. So price could be a factor there. For the older people such as myself who can easily afford it, I'm left with the memory of Mad Catz of old. Really shitty Xbox replacement products. Apparently they've done a 180 in terms of quality, but that's what I'll forever remember them as.

For the people that bash it, I bet 90% of them haven't even touched one.They just say what most people consider the "best" so no one says they're wrong.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Uhm, what? I think Mad Catz mice are the coolest looking ones in existence. However I factored that out above because that is purely based on taste.

I would rather go balls deep into adele than use that mouse. (Or at-least brag about it)

First of all DPI doesn't matter, like at all. Nobody is actually going to use their mouse at anything about 2000 dpi at max (most people stay around 800). Unlike what manufacturers make you think, a higher DPI does not mean a more accurate shot at all. Any mouse that doesn't have a DPI of less than 1000 or so should be enough for 99% of users. 

Second, all the mice you listed are overpriced laser mic. Laser mice are not bad, but the problem is manufacturers use them because they can boost the DPI to ridiculous useless numbers, just to make others think their mouse is better. In reality, the more classic optical mice generally have better tracking and less acceleration issues.

If you really want a great mouse for professional gaming or such things, you would definitely go optical and get something such as a g400s (or g400, which basically just has a different look and is older), or a microsoft intellimouse, or a cm storm xornet (also optical with a "flawless" sensor), and some steelseries mice. And of course the microsoft intellimouse is still a great classic with a "perfect" sensor. 

Laser mice are not bad by any means, but optical mice are generally cheaper and have sensors that have less issues, that is all. 

You're wrong there. Big time. My mouse right now is set at 3500 dpi and when I go up to a 1440p panel it'll probably go up to 4500 - 5000 dpi.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Peripherals are a hugely personal thing. Some don't like the look of it. You might. Looks alone doesn't make a product crappy.

For example, I don't like any of the mice that @Osmium considers "the best".

Mad Catz is likely left out because they're hugely expensive. A lot of people probably don't appreciate the adjustability of them (I'm not sure if it's useful since I haven't used one)

On this forum in particular there's a lot of younger people. So price could be a factor there. For the older people such as myself who can easily afford it, I'm left with the memory of Mad Catz of old. Really shitty Xbox replacement products. Apparently they've done a 180 in terms of quality, but that's what I'll forever remember them as.

For the people that bash it, I bet 90% of them haven't even touched one.They just say what most people consider the "best" so no one says they're wrong.

OH GOD, THE CONTROLLERS. HAH. It was officially marked as the "Friends/visitors" Xbox controller when there was more than 2.  

I would think it comes down to personal taste, I for one don't like the RAT mice, but I don't have anything against Mad Catz themselves.

It's also not necessary with a 8000dpi+ mice imo, and on top of that I and many other perfer otical mice over laser mice.

If this is true, the price/performance-ratio is even more off with the three comparison mice. Another point for the R.A.T.?

My personal DPI levels are 5000, 3600, 1800 and 1000.

OH GOD, THE CONTROLLERS. HAH. It was officially marked as the "Friends/visitors" Xbox controller when there was more than 2.  

Oh boy tell me about it. They wandered, were made of a really crappy plastic, were inaccurate when you'd move, the buttons sometimes stuck...*shudder*

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

You're wrong there. Big time. My mouse right now is set at 3500 dpi and when I go up to a 1440p panel it'll probably go up to 4500 - 5000 dpi.

You are right (I am referring to the old post where you quoted me) that mice are a highly personal thing. But the mice I mentioned as the best I did not say were the best for everyone. Lots of people love those mice which is a statistic not opinion. But in terms of the sensor in the RAT, G700, and Razer mouse it is a laser sensor with acceleration. That is also a fact not an opinion; whether you notice it or not is something debatable but the sensor in the mouse does have acceleration and is inferior to a sensor without it.

But onto the DPI thing it really does not matter. DPI is dots per inch and it is a measure of sensitivity not precision. 400dpi will have the same precision as a mouse with 1600 or 3200 dpi. In the thing I quoted I don't really understand what you mean by that. You said he was wrong but you did not really say anything to back it up. You just said your mouse up-scales resolution when you increase display resolution if I am reading that correctly?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

You are right (I am referring to the old post where you quoted me) that mice are a highly personal thing. But the mice I mentioned as the best I did not say were the best for everyone. Lots of people love those mice which is a statistic not opinion. But in terms of the sensor in the RAT, G700, and Razer mouse it is a laser sensor with acceleration. That is also a fact not an opinion; whether you notice it or not is something debatable but the sensor in the mouse does have acceleration and is inferior to a sensor without it.

But onto the DPI thing it really does not matter. DPI is dots per inch and it is a measure of sensitivity not precision. 400dpi will have the same precision as a mouse with 1600 or 3200 dpi. In the thing I quoted I don't really understand what you mean by that. You said he was wrong but you did not really say anything to back it up. You just said your mouse up-scales resolution when you increase display resolution if I am reading that correctly?

So how does DPI not matter? You're saying that it doesn't matter if I want a sensitive mouse so that I can go across the screen without a great deal of wrist movement?

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Believe it or not mice are used for more than just games ;)

When I use more than one screen, I like being able to fly between them with ease. Hence...a higher DPI is extremely helpful.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Maybe if you enjoy not moving your wrist at all (mostly a matter of personal preference), but you don't need 3500 dpi anyway. You could just have a 1200dpi mouse and change the sensitivity in windows settings.

Once you're out of the 'flashy gaming' hardware phase, you might find these to be distracting, if not ugly. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

As has been said, none of those are really "shooter" mice. As to why people don't recommend Mad Catz? They just don't have much appeal. They look like toys and they operate like toys. Sometimes they even break like toys. Aesthetics are a matter of taste of course, but it does have a look that tends to be outgrown by the time people would both want a computer mouse and be able to afford one that costs as much.

Weights, sky high DPI, "precision buttons", customizable chassis...Barely anyone needs any of these. The idea of them and the way they're marketed makes them sound like good ideas and a select few may actually benefit from them, but I think most people just convince themselves they do to justify the purchase. Hell, precision buttons seem positively detrimental to me.

Maybe if you enjoy not moving your wrist at all (mostly a matter of personal preference), but you don't need 3500 dpi anyway. You could just have a 1200dpi mouse and change the sensitivity in windows settings.

That wouldn't be preferable at all. Windows sensitivity should really stay at 6/11.

Multiple monitor set-ups are probably the only good reason to use higher DPI, That said, even with 3 monitors side-to-side (3*1900 pixels), he'd still be fitting them within just 1.65 inches of horizontal movement. I'm guessing he anchors his wrist and doesn't move his arm at all (possibly a fingertip gripper), or has less-than-optimal windows pointer settings.

The best mice to buy right now (for FPS anyway) are the G400s, Deathadder, and Steelseries Rival

What about the Corsair M40/M45?

What about the Corsair M40/M45?

His list was short. There's at least 10 other mice that are as good for FPS, RTS, DoTA/LoL and anything else where quick and accurate mouse movement matters.