Help deciding on New TV

I have been watching more TV recently since I have been home, and have noticed more than ever the glare I get on my TV. Also, dark scenes are way to dark and its hard to tell what is going on. I am currently using an Samsung UN46D7000, which it is about 9 years old so it is time for a new TV anyway. The room I have it in has a lot of light coming in from the windows especially in the afternoon so I need a bright TV that will help cut down on any glare. I mainly use my TV for streaming shows and movies, but do occasionally play video games but that is not my main focus. The problem is when trying to do research I have been finding conflicting opinions on the various sites I have been going on for reviews. For example many said that Samsung QLED series is great for bright rooms but really isn't true LED since its just LED back lit, but LG OLED is true LED and offers better picture quality. I would think that the LG should be good for bright rooms as well but not many I have read have specifically stated as such. As a side note, I saw that LG is backing Dolby Vision and is now for 2020 pushing Vision IQ which is supposed to pick up on whats on the screen as well as the conditions your watching to offer the best picture. Which sounds good, but also sounds like a gimmick that wont really work well in practice. 

For the room I need it for, I am really only looking for about a 55 inch screen. I am flexible with the cost but am also really only looking arounds $1200, if lower that is of course better but am also willing to go a little higher if its truly worth the price. Any thoughts or suggestions, links to information to read up on would be appreciated. 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:20 PM, TheRtrain said:

For example many said that Samsung QLED series is great for bright rooms but really isn't true LED since its just LED back lit, but LG OLED is true LED and offers better picture quality.

In the case of QLED, it is LCD technology. There is a blue LED backlight with a quantum dots incorporated in the screen that turn this light into colours we want to see. OLED panels on the other hand are self-emitting, meaning there is no backlight, they use the LEDs directly and emit coloured light themselves. They can also display true blacks by simply turning off, giving them their infinite-to-1 contrast ratio.

What matters in bright environments is how bright your TV panel can get, which is sort of independent of which technology you choose. I've only seen them in stores and both looked great to me, but I guess the advantage of OLEDs are their deep blacks. Unfortunately I cannot say from personal experience how much of those deep blacks you effectively loose if your room is super bright, but I feel like that is the main point why people say to pick QLED for bright rooms, because it's probably cheaper and you may not have much benefit of the available OLED darkness in those circumstances.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 2 weeks later...

I have an LG C& OLED and a Samsung Q90R Qled and for the same reasons you are looking for a TV. We had the OLED in the sitting room which is generally not subjected to lots of sunlight and is dark during most of the day.

The playroom however, has sunlight all day and is much brighter so we got the QLED. I would suggest QLED for a bright room.OLED is also damaged if you have direct sunlight on the screen so that is something else to think about if relevant to your situation.

The OLED is generally a better picture I think (although we are comparing a 55 OLED to 75 QLED), but ours did suffer from erenn burn in but was replaced by LG due to another issue so it is back to normal. It is great having the QLED with no worries about gaming on it alt all. (Switch, PS4 Pro and many childrens' channels playing.)