How many watts would I need?

mandrigald
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Go for a decent 600w. Something like the EVGA 600b or Corsair CX650M

I'll be running a system with an FX-8320, and a GTX 770 (or possibly whatever Maxwell has to offer in its place). How many watts in a PSU would I need. Could somebody recommend one? Please try to keep it less than $100. I know that may be a challenge but money is tight for me.

CX650.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Go for a decent 600w. Something like the EVGA 600b or Corsair CX650M

Holy ass! the EVGA one is CHEAP. Does it hold up well against the CX600M or should I shoot for that one instead?

Get a nice SeaSonic or Corsair 650 watt, or a 750 if you plan on going SLI.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Holy ass! the EVGA one is CHEAP. Does it hold up well against the CX600M or should I shoot for that one instead?

They're both around the same. If you're short on money, then go for the EVGA one

The CX600M performs better electrically, while the 600B may have a bit better caps. They both are entry level power supplies, that would be fine for your system. If it is in the same price range, I would recommend the Seasonic G 550w or Cooler Master V550S over both of them.

If you want us to give you another alternative, it would be good to know your budget and provide a link to the site you are buying from.

The CX600M performs better electrically, while the 600B may have a bit better caps. They both are entry level power supplies, that would be fine for your system. If it is in the same price range, I would recommend the Seasonic G 550w or Cooler Master V550S over both of them.

If you want us to give you another alternative, it would be good to know your budget and provide a link to the site you are buying from.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does it mean for a PSU to be entry level? I get what that means in other areas, but not this one. AND, would it be wrong for me to use an entry-level psu in a semi-beefy system (FX-8320+770 or Maxwell)?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does it mean for a PSU to be entry level? I get what that means in other areas, but not this one. AND, would it be wrong for me to use an entry-level psu in a semi-beefy system (FX-8320+770 or Maxwell)?

CX = Entry

CS = Entry-Mid

GS = Mid

TX = Professional

HX = Enthusiast

AX = Enthusiast

RM = Enthusiast

Basically entry power supplies are made with cheaper components, and lack some of the features of a higher end one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

CX = Entry

TX = Professional

HX = Enthusiast

RM = Enthusiast.

Basically entry power supplies are made with cheaper components, and lack some of the features of a higher end one.

Okay, thanks. Should I shoot for TX instead since my system is semi-performance grade? Or would it be fine to use an entry level PSU with performance parts?

Okay, thanks. Should I shoot for TX instead since my system is semi-performance grade? Or would it be fine to use an entry level PSU with performance parts?

If you want to, yes. I also changed the list (forgot some of the ones, all of them are Corsair). Typically the higher end you go, the more efficient they get, and the cleaner power they deliver.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

If you want to, yes. I also changed the list (forgot some of the ones, all of them are Corsair). Typically the higher end you go, the more efficient they get, and the cleaner power they deliver.

Okay, then I think I'll go for TX because I can get it for roughly the same price after rebate. Thanks!

Okay, then I think I'll go for TX because I can get it for roughly the same price after rebate. Thanks!

No problem! :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Well, overall internal design / build quality, the actual capability of the unit, voltage regulation, ripple suppression, response to transient loads, etc. is what I look at when determining how a unit is classified. You could look at reviews at sites such as Jonnyguru, TechPowerUp, HardOCP, Hardwaresecrets, etc. on PSUs, but it is helpful to be able to read the entire review and actually understanding it.

Anyways, I classified any PSU with group-regulated scheme as entry level, which both the EVGA 600B and CX600M are. To put it simply, group-regulated mean the 12v rail shared the same voltage regulating mechanism as the minor rails (3.3/5v), where the amount of load either of the rails may affect the voltage of the other. By getting a better indy / DC-DC regulated will offer you a better voltage stability at a wider range of loads, such as the Seasonic G and Cooler Master V**S I had mentioned. Plus it uses lower components.

Btw, the Corsair line is rated as so. AXi/AX > HX > RM / TX > CS > CX / VS. The TX and RM belongs in the mid-range segment of PSUs (despite it being functionally superior to the HX series). If you could get the TX over the CX and the 600B, I would definitely get it. If you are from the US, I would get the Rosewill Capstone 550-M for your system for $64.99 after MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182262

Wasn't the RM introduced to replace HX (I'm aware that RM is gold and HX is platinum)? So if you were going to consider HX wouldn't RM be the obvious choice if not AX considering the pricing difference (AX it top dog according to peeps on the interwebs).

@ Anyone who recommends the CX series of corsair PSU's don't. I have the Corsair CX 750M and it's awful. It's super noisy, when you remove the modular cabling the slots (?) semi come out (I whack em back in). I've not even had mines for over six months and I'm replacing it..

Wasn't the RM introduced to replace HX (I'm aware that RM is gold and HX is platinum)? So if you were going to consider HX wouldn't RM be the obvious choice if not AX considering the pricing difference (AX it top dog according to peeps on the interwebs).

Nope. People just assumed that it was made to replaced it because the HX series is Gold; however, the HX offer tighter requirements in respect to components choices, electrical performance, and warranty length. Just by looking at the warranty and the operating temperature, you could immediately tell that it was made to be below the HX. A more official statement from Corsair...

http://www.corsair.com/en/pressrelease/corsair-announces-ultra-quiet-rm-series-power-supplies

"The RM Series PSUs replace the TX Series line while adding improved 80 PLUS Gold level energy efficiency, whisper-quiet operation, and monitoring capability."

The RM is indeed functionally superior than the HX though, but this will likely be different when Corsair release a proper replacement of the HX series.

Well, overall internal design / build quality, the actual capability of the unit, voltage regulation, ripple suppression, response to transient loads, etc. is what I look at when determining how a unit is classified. You could look at reviews at sites such as Jonnyguru, TechPowerUp, HardOCP, Hardwaresecrets, etc. on PSUs, but it is helpful to be able to read the entire review and actually understanding it.

Anyways, I classified any PSU with group-regulated scheme as entry level, which both the EVGA 600B and CX600M are. To put it simply, group-regulated mean the 12v rail shared the same voltage regulating mechanism as the minor rails (3.3/5v), where the amount of load either of the rails may affect the voltage of the other. By getting a better indy / DC-DC regulated will offer you a better voltage stability at a wider range of loads, such as the Seasonic G and Cooler Master V**S I had mentioned. Plus it uses lower components.

Btw, the Corsair line is rated as so. AXi/AX > HX > RM / TX > CS > CX / VS. The TX and RM belongs in the mid-range segment of PSUs (despite it being functionally superior to the HX series). If you could get the TX over the CX and the 600B, I would definitely get it. If you are from the US, I would get the Rosewill Capstone 550-M for your system for $64.99 after MIR. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182262

Thanks. (Sorry it might be a little late for a response). A few more questions (Sorry about all of the, probably stupid, questions): Is Rosewill a reliable brand for PSUs? Is the one that you have listed entry-level, or is it better than that? Also, is 550w enough for my system?

ONNE POOINT TWEENTTY ONEE GIIIIGGA WATTS!@

Please don't post if you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion. ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Thanks. (Sorry it might be a little late for a response). A few more questions (Sorry about all of the, probably stupid, questions): Is Rosewill a reliable brand for PSUs? Is the one that you have listed entry-level, or is it better than that? Also, is 550w enough for my system?

550 if you plan on running as it is, no OC or anything, not a ton of drives. A 600 would allow some more overclocking and drives, as would a 650. And it seems hit and miss with Rosewill. Several of my old 350's have been replaced, but my most recent one has been pushed 10 watts over for a few months, and it's still kicking.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

550 if you plan on running as it is, no OC or anything, not a ton of drives. A 600 would allow some more overclocking and drives, as would a 650. And it seems hit and miss with Rosewill. Several of my old 350's have been replaced, but my most recent one has been pushed 10 watts over for a few months, and it's still kicking.

I plan to overclock my 8320 to stock 8350 speeds, should I go for 600?

Rosewill didn't start out well in the PSU market, where they were guilty of releasing bad PSUs; however, over the past few years, the majority of their units that are on the market right now range from decent entry levels (Green series) to excellent high-end (Tachyon). The Capstone is based on a higher-end platform, in which I would compare it to the Seasonic G series. In fact, it will give you more usable power than the CX600 and 600B due to superior electronics and components. It also offer a 7 year warranty.

If you want to spend a bit more for a 650w unit, you can if you want, but the Capstone I had recommended would be enough with OC.

Rosewill didn't start out well in the PSU market, where they were guilty of releasing bad PSUs; however, over the past few years, the majority of their units that are on the market right now range from decent entry levels (Green series) to excellent high-end (Tachyon). The Capstone is based on a higher-end platform, in which I would compare it to the Seasonic G series. In fact, it will give you more usable power than the CX600 and 600B due to superior electronics and components. It also offer a 7 year warranty.

If you want to spend a bit more for a 650w unit, you can if you want, but the Capstone I had recommended would be enough with OC.

Enough WITH overclock !? Hell yeah, I think Ive found my next PSU. I wont be OCing too much, I just want to OC my 8320 to match the stock 8350.

Edit: Might bump up the number of watts though.

Nope. People just assumed that it was made to replaced it because the HX series is Gold; however, the HX offer tighter requirements in respect to components choices, electrical performance, and warranty length. Just by looking at the warranty and the operating temperature, you could immediately tell that it was made to be below the HX. A more official statement from Corsair...

http://www.corsair.com/en/pressrelease/corsair-announces-ultra-quiet-rm-series-power-supplies

"The RM Series PSUs replace the TX Series line while adding improved 80 PLUS Gold level energy efficiency, whisper-quiet operation, and monitoring capability."

The RM is indeed functionally superior than the HX though, but this will likely be different when Corsair release a proper replacement of the HX series.

My bad I thought the it was hx not tx it replaced (I forgot tx existed :D). P.S. the rm series have a 5 year warranty.