What to buy?

Shogunaga

Hi, im having a hard time deciding which graphic card to buy since it might bottleneck with my build. Please help 

We need more information.

What do you already have, what power supply? What do you use your computer for? What is the budget?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

"I need help knowing what tires to buy, are they a good fit for my car" is a question that can't be answered without knowing the make/model of the car.

same thing for PCs.

Give us as much info as possible, specs, location, budget, etc.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Can you add some more information? A bit of information about your current PC specs, budget, and usage will be much help!

Thank you!

8 hours ago, pstarlord said:

Given that information, get a 2080TI and a 3950x CPU.  

I don't have that high of a budget. But thanks

9 hours ago, Slottr said:

What do you already have, what power supply? What do you use your computer for? What is the budget?

I have everything else except for ssd, i don't really know what my power supply is, i use my pc for gaming, 100 - 170$

9 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

"I need help knowing what tires to buy, are they a good fit for my car" is a question that can't be answered without knowing the make/model of the car.

same thing for PCs.

Give us as much info as possible, specs, location, budget, etc.

Specs: I3-6100, 1x4gb 2400, no ssd, 500gb hdd, GA-h110m-H. Location : Philippines ; Budget around 100- 170$. Question, can i add another ram stick? Or should i change it into a 1x8gb 2400?

8 hours ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

Can you add some more information? A bit of information about your current PC specs, budget, and usage will be much help!

Thank you!

Specs: I3-6100, 1x4gb 2400, no ssd, 500gb hdd, GA-h110m-H. Budget is 100 - 170$

10 hours ago, Slottr said:

I notice that all the time here... maybe there should be a sticky on each hardware forum to notify that people need to mention their current setup and budget before asking such questions. 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

I notice that all the time here... maybe there should be a sticky on each hardware forum to notify that people need to mention their current setup and budget before asking such questions. 

I was going to add my specs but i feel humiliated with my build😔

14 minutes ago, Shogunaga said:

there is no reason to feel humiliated because of your gear no matter what it is, it is what you can afford and your particular setup is not top of the line but not as bad as you might think.. I have seen people with far worse setups than yours.

Having said that given the budget I would suggest to buy an RX 580 + buy an identical ram stick so that you can have dual channel speed (which will result in better performance since single channel might bottleneck fast GPUs) 

edit actually ditch that 4GB stick and buy a 16GB kit (2*8) there are some fast and cheap ones that will keep you still in your budget if you decide to buy an RX 580

like this one https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232884?Item=N82E16820232884&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2fmcH8TW%2fgskill-aegis-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gis&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-RtG.zCeB0zon47SlvaHkkw

you can also search for used kits on ebay try to keep the Mhz atleast at 3200 and the latency (cl or c in the name of the product) less than 16

25 minutes ago, Shogunaga said:

There is no need to feel ashamed of your build.

We are tech enthusiasts. Whether you like gaming, programming, browsing the web, or just curious about technology, you deserve to belong here.

My (now broken) laptop has a Pentium Skylake with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and definetly not something that people think suitable for "tech enthusiast" .

We are here to help each other, to talk about interesting tech, to be laughing together, and to debate each other over 1 fps difference in two different components.

As for your issue, I have very similar opinion to Papajo. I think you should look on his advice. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, papajo said:

There's a sticky in the New Builds and Planning section, no one bothers to read it though.

1 hour ago, papajo said:

I'd also add in an SSD, even a cheap 120 GB one

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, Shogunaga said:

Specs: I3-6100, 1x4gb 2400, no ssd, 500gb hdd, GA-h110m-H. Budget is 100 - 170$

Trust me, there's been faaaaar worse things posted around here, if it's what ya got, it's what ya got. No need to be self conscious about it :)

19 minutes ago, Slottr said:

There's a sticky in the New Builds and Planning section, no one bothers to read it though.

Maybe a pop up then on hardware section like "are you asking about upgrading e.g your GPU? do not forget to mention usecase current build and budget"

Besides saving time for the user and for the people that try to help it will decrease overall postcound which in turn will decrease resource usage on your server in the long run (every post adds up to traffic and in database size) 

Anyway I am throwing that as a suggestion since I got your ear because maybe you could mention it to the appropriate person to take that into consideration. 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

there is no reason to feel humiliated because of your gear no matter what it is, it is what you can afford and your particular setup is not top of the line but not as bad as you might think.. I have seen people with far worse setups than yours.

Having said that given the budget I would suggest to buy an RX 580 + buy an identical ram stick so that you can have dual channel speed (which will result in better performance since single channel might bottleneck fast GPUs) 

edit actually ditch that 4GB stick and buy a 16GB kit (2*8) there are some fast and cheap ones that will keep you still in your budget if you decide to buy an RX 580

like this one https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232884?Item=N82E16820232884&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2fmcH8TW%2fgskill-aegis-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gis&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-RtG.zCeB0zon47SlvaHkkw

you can also search for used kits on ebay try to keep the Mhz atleast at 3200 and the latency (cl or c in the name of the product) less than 16

Ok, thank you so much for the suggestion and your help😊

1 hour ago, Azura Lightfeilt said:

There is no need to feel ashamed of your build.

We are tech enthusiasts. Whether you like gaming, programming, browsing the web, or just curious about technology, you deserve to belong here.

My (now broken) laptop has a Pentium Skylake with 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and definetly not something that people think suitable for "tech enthusiast" .

We are here to help each other, to talk about interesting tech, to be laughing together, and to debate each other over 1 fps difference in two different components.

As for your issue, I have very similar opinion to Papajo. I think you should look on his advice. 

Thank you!

Thanks for boosting up my confidence in my own build and thanks for your suggestion. 😊

42 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Trust me, there's been faaaaar worse things posted around here, if it's what ya got, it's what ya got. No need to be self conscious about it :)

Oh really? I thought mine was like very low than others😂 thanks though i appreciate it

So ram increases the speed in your pc and in games too. So basically more ram means a faster pc? Am i correct? And ssds' make your pc boot up faster right? Btw I appreciate all of you who helped me thus expands my knowledge about pc stuff, thank you guys so much 

8 minutes ago, Shogunaga said:

So ram increases the speed in your pc and in games too. So basically more ram means a faster pc? Am i correct? And ssds' make your pc boot up faster right? Btw I appreciate all of you who helped me thus expands my knowledge about pc stuff, thank you guys so much 

Not exactly more ram means more stuff can be loaded without slowing down your PC (if ram is full your PC will use the much slower HDD or SSD to store temp files its called the swap folder)

but ram speed is affecting system performance in games but not tremendously, but slow ramspeed usually bottlenecks(=affects its performance in a bad way/doesnt allow the GPU to reach its full potential)  a fast graphics card. If you have 1 ram stick which means in laymans terms that you run at half the speed of what your RAM is supposed to run. 

When you have two ramsticks of the same size and speed and rest of spec (in other words identical or a kit) you run the ram in what is called dual channel mode which means it reaches its maximum speed 

furthermore 4GB is too small nowadays 8 being the borderline for average usage and gaming but it wont make sense to buy a 2*4GB kit because 2*8GB is not that much more expensive and will be future proof. 

An ssd will help to boot faster in windows open apps faster and have lower loading times in games but very cheap SSDs are cacheless = they dont have a ram chip for caching data which makes them almost equally slow (and in some cases slower) than a HDD so it wont make sense to buy a very cheap one unless you can confirm it has a cache. 

26 minutes ago, Shogunaga said:

Oh really? I thought mine was like very low than others😂 thanks though i appreciate it

I’m running muuuuch older hardware than you but still quite proud of it, it’s doing the job which I need it to do 😁 so don’t worry and be proud of your build 😁

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Just now, Whiro said:

I’m running muuuuch older hardware than you but still quite proud of it, it’s doing the job which I need it to do 😁 so don’t worry and be proud of your build 😁

yea any potato pc beats being a console peasant in my book hahahahhaha /racistjokesoff :D 

22 minutes ago, papajo said:

Not exactly more ram means more stuff can be loaded without slowing down your PC (if ram is full your PC will use the much slower HDD or SSD to store temp files its called the swap folder)

but ram speed is affecting system performance in games but not tremendously, but slow ramspeed usually bottlenecks(=affects its performance in a bad way/doesnt allow the GPU to reach its full potential)  a fast graphics card. If you have 1 ram stick which means in laymans terms that you run at half the speed of what your RAM is supposed to run. 

When you have two ramsticks of the same size and speed and rest of spec (in other words identical or a kit) you run the ram in what is called dual channel mode which means it reaches its maximum speed 

furthermore 4GB is too small nowadays 8 being the borderline for average usage and gaming but it wont make sense to buy a 2*4GB kit because 2*8GB is not that much more expensive and will be future proof. 

An ssd will help to boot faster in windows open apps faster and have lower loading times in games but very cheap SSDs are cacheless = they dont have a ram chip for caching data which makes them almost equally slow (and in some cases slower) than a HDD so it wont make sense to buy a very cheap one unless you can confirm it has a cache. 

Wow you're literally a genius when it comes to this stuff, thanks for the tips my dude and the clarification 

I'm a bit confused on gigabyte's site about my motherboard's memory capacity it can support up to 32gb but it also says "Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed." can someone help me understand. 😕 

Just now, Shogunaga said:

I'm a bit confused on gigabyte's site about my motherboard's memory capacity it can support up to 32gb but it also says "Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed." can someone help me understand. 😕

What type of Windows Operating System do you have right now? I think it could be because you're running from older OS that only uses 32bits instead of the modern 64bit.