Rtx 2070 super bottleneck

Yikchan

Just got back in to building PC's, I've been out of the game for a minute.

But my current setup is a 2600k @ 4.3ghz, 16gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, and gtx 1060. I'm looking to get a 2070 super(in fact I already ordered it). Question is, how much better performance will I get with the 2070 than the 1060 in 1080p (sometimes 4k) gaming?  I know it's a super old cpu, that's why I'm asking. Thanks guys

i think your 2600k should already be on the edge of being a bottleneck to your current gpu, so if you upgrade you wont see much difference 

Do you usually see close to 100% usage on both gpu and cpu during games?

my guess is your performance will not change, you might probably just be able to run some ray tracing if that is any consolation for your purchase 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

3 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

so if you upgrade you wont see much difference 

LOL!!!!

9 minutes ago, Yikchan said:

Question is, how much better performance will I get with the 2070 than the 1060 in 1080p (sometimes 4k) gaming?

No matter the old CPU you will see a kick ass difference!!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I don't have enough for a new rig, it's either the gpu, or cpu/mobo/ram, which I'm looking at for 9700k, z390, and 16gb+ ddr 4 will be about 600-700. I won't have enough for gpu after that. But if it's not too much of a bottleneck, I can slowly start saving whilst using my 2600k. Cod warzone isn't my main, but should I expect at least a 45% increase in frames with the new card

It will perform much better than your current rig. Althought the CPU will bottleneck, it won't be a huge amount. 

I see some people are going about "bottlenecking on your CPU side is okay" and I have nothing against that, but if I recommend to either upgrade your CPU first, or upgrade your CPU and maybe get something like the 2060 (or 2060 Super) instead. 2060 + older Ryzen 5 will work like wonder! And it should cost you not too much (depending on where you live ofc).

Bottlenecking is okay, but make sure you upgrade your CPU as soon as you can. 

Don't get me wrong, your PC will still perform much better with the new GPU, but Bottlenecking will limit your GPU's full potential, resulting in worse price:performance ratio compared to optimal setup.

Idk where your located but I know by me $530-$600 would get a 2070 super after tax. 

I would do

ryzen 5 3600 $179

B450 msi tomahawk $100

16gb ddr4 320hz ram $100 

So $379 for that leaving you money left over.

I would get a rx5700xt for $400 I’ve seen these for close to $350 recently. This would

put you at $729-$779 sell that 1060 you have for $100 and call it a day. All new insides besides your drives for what you would spend on the intel set up alone 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($125.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $698.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-05 06:05 EDT-0400

Entire PC and 5700-XT for almost the cost of a Super... LOL!

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

14 hours ago, Yikchan said:

I don't have enough for a new rig, it's either the gpu, or cpu/mobo/ram, which I'm looking at for 9700k, z390, and 16gb+ ddr 4 will be about 600-700. I won't have enough for gpu after that. But if it's not too much of a bottleneck, I can slowly start saving whilst using my 2600k. Cod warzone isn't my main, but should I expect at least a 45% increase in frames with the new card

I have the same CPU and I just got a 5700 XT.  After some tweaking... I finally got it working to a point I'm comfortable with.  I was using an older Nvidia card before and during the problems I was having with the AMD I thought... I wish I just went for the 2070 Super.  So looks like you've made a good choice.  Much easier to plug and play I think.  As for the CPU, its fine... for a little boost I think later on you can just get a 3rd gen Rysen 5 3600 on sale and not break the bank because you wont have to change motherboard or RAM.  That's my plan anyway. 

As for the difference you will see.  Although the system may be performing better... I think a monitor upgrade will make the most difference.  Depending on the game, just switching the card is not much different if using the same 1080 monitor.  If you boost the resolution to 1440 or 4k, I hear that makes the CPU load a little lighter and GPU load higher which is what you would want in your rig.  The thing you actually look at (the monitor) makes a big difference.   

45 minutes ago, sgtballs said:

I have the same CPU and I just got a 5700 XT.  After some tweaking... I finally got it working to a point I'm comfortable with.  I was using an older Nvidia card before and during the problems I was having with the AMD I thought... I wish I just went for the 2070 Super.  So looks like you've made a good choice.  Much easier to plug and play I think.  As for the CPU, its fine... for a little boost I think later on you can just get a 3rd gen Rysen 5 3600 on sale and not break the bank because you wont have to change motherboard or RAM.  That's my plan anyway. 

As for the difference you will see.  Although the system may be performing better... I think a monitor upgrade will make the most difference.  Depending on the game, just switching the card is not much different if using the same 1080 monitor.  If you boost the resolution to 1440 or 4k, I hear that makes the CPU load a little lighter and GPU load higher which is what you would want in your rig.  The thing you actually look at (the monitor) makes a big difference.   

I have a 144hz 1080p monitor and a 65 inch 4k tv that I play my pretty games on, but maybe I can upgrade to a qhd 27" monitor, you know any good ones that won't break the bank?

49 minutes ago, sgtballs said:

AMD GPUs are as much plug and play as nvidia GPUs I dont know what issues you had but it wasnt the cards fault (unless your particular card was faulty) 

16 hours ago, Yikchan said:

Just got back in to building PC's, I've been out of the game for a minute.

But my current setup is a 2600k @ 4.3ghz, 16gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, and gtx 1060. I'm looking to get a 2070 super(in fact I already ordered it). Question is, how much better performance will I get with the 2070 than the 1060 in 1080p (sometimes 4k) gaming?  I know it's a super old cpu, that's why I'm asking. Thanks guys

on 4k you wont see any bottleneck since the load will fall mainly to your GPU on 1080p I think the bottleneck would be minimal unless you run other stuff too like streaming or antivirus etc 

6 hours ago, papajo said:

AMD GPUs are as much plug and play as nvidia GPUs I dont know what issues you had but it wasnt the cards fault (unless your particular card was faulty) 

on 4k you wont see any bottleneck since the load will fall mainly to your GPU on 1080p I think the bottleneck would be minimal unless you run other stuff too like streaming or antivirus etc 

I had crashes with black screens.  I had to change windows to high power mode to fix that.  The textures looked bad at first.  I was upgrading from Nvidia GTX 970 (I cleared with DDU) and it was noticeably worse.  I was disappointed.  Took a while to find the problem and on the advice of someone on this forum, I turned off Radeon image sharpening and that fixed it.  Apparently I'm not the only one who had that problem.  You are right, it's not that cards fault, its the software.  Makes me wonder what else I should tweek that I dont know about. 

I'm happy with it now but my experience was not optimal plug and play.