Thoughts on this display: AOC Agon AG241QX

Mister Woof

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCTHS6E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• AOC Gaming Agon 24" (23.8" Viewable) Professional grade gaming monitor with 2560 x 1440 quad HD resolution
  • Blistering Fast 144Hz refresh rate, rapid 1ms response with premium TN panel
  • Nvidia G-SYNC compatible + Adaptive-Sync for smoothest competitive gameplay
  • Plenty of inputs: DisplayPort, HDMI 2.0, hdmi-mhl, DVI-D, VGA inputs
  • Low input lag and shadow control allows you to see more and react faster
  • 4 x USB 3.0 hub w/ 1 fast-charging port
  • Agon re-spawned Warranty: 4-year zero dead Pixel guarantee + 4-year advance replacement + 1 Year (one-time) accidental damage Warranty
  • Ergo dial height adjustable stand with pivot, tilt, rotate for ultimate comfort
  • Built-in speakers, headphone hanger, and Handle for convenience
  • Quick switch game mode controller included for fast scene adjustments

Background:

See my main system below. Everything is pretty modern, save for my display. I am using a special 3-display mount that only accommodates up to 24" displays. I game on my primary display and use my left displays for work (plugged into laptop) and my right display for videos/forums on my main desktop. Primary uses for desktop: Gaming and general purpose use.

I could "upgrade" my CPU, but it would either be a sidegrade or downgrade with any of the Ryzen 3000 chips, and the 9900k is not even perceivable difference. I could "upgrade" my GPU, but then my display seems a bit underwhelming for a new GPU and I'm satisfied with my current GPU's performance. I have 2TB of SSD storage, 1TB of which is fast NVME. 

I don't really know waht to upgrade.

Presently, I think at 144fps my system runs fine. I don't think my GPU is overkill for that resolution/refresh target, but consensus seems to be 1440p is the new standard and is the weakest link in my system. So, that said, what do you all think about this display I linked, given the requirements of 24"?

Do you have any other suggestions? 

One of the things I really like about my current ASUS display is how sharp it is. Many other displays I've tried out seem very blurry and aren't sharp. I use the vividpixel technology, and I don't know if this AOC has something similar or not. So that would be one thing that I generally am looking for.

I generally like TN over VA and IPS, as viewing angles don't bother me but slow response does. I also am wondering if it would be disorienting having the primary display being a 24" 1440p while the side displays are 24" 1080p displays. The center and right displays will be joined, but the left display is a different computer.

Thanks fellas

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The next upgrade for your gpu would have to be a 2070 super, itd be an upgrade but do you want to spend that money? if you're satisfied with the 5700x performance then don't consider an upgrade? I have the same monitor, it works very well, however the reason they got it so cheap is from the cheaper panel. It is 144hz, 1440p, no idea how to actually check the response time. It works well though for gaming. content creation though is where the dirt is, the color accuracy is not good. Works fine for games and whatnot, but if you're designing things for others as a business, the colors wont come out right. if you're running 2 x 1080p panels, with the 5700x, then you may have some troubles with the graphics card doing 1440, youll have to check out the performance with multi-monitor setups with the 5700x. You may have to run the 1440 monitor at lower graphical settings. still better than 1080 IMO. but just a heads up, the dimensions for this monitor are B- 21-3/4" H- 13" Diagonal -  25-1/4"

1 minute ago, SethK said:

The next upgrade for your gpu would have to be a 2070 super, itd be an upgrade but do you want to spend that money? if you're satisfied with the 5700x performance then don't consider an upgrade? I have the same monitor, it works very well, however the reason they got it so cheap is from the cheaper panel. It is 144hz, 1440p, no idea how to actually check the response time. It works well though for gaming. content creation though is where the dirt is, the color accuracy is not good. Works fine for games and whatnot, but if you're designing things for others as a business, the colors wont come out right. if you're running 2 x 1080p panels, with the 5700x, then you may have some troubles with the graphics card doing 1440, youll have to check out the performance with multi-monitor setups with the 5700x. You may have to run the 1440 monitor at lower graphical settings. still better than 1080 IMO. but just a heads up, the dimensions for this monitor are B- 21-3/4" H- 13" Diagonal -  25-1/4"

Well, for the most part, the 5700xt is not significantly slower than the 2070 Super, generally single digit percentage difference, RTRC notwithstanding. The only reasonable upgrade that would be noticeable would be a 2080 Super at minimum. And at that point, a 1080p display is even more a handicap.

That said, I have zero issues with running 3x displays while gaming at present. When I am on the clock, my left display (1080p 24") is plugged into my laptop, and my center display (1080p/144hz/24") and my right display (1080p 24") are plugged into my gaming PC and has really no issues. When off the clock, all three are being powered by my gaming PC and it has no problems with gaming center, forums left, and youtube right.

As far as content creation goes, it is not a concern for me. This is strictly for gaming and content consumption. 

I feel the only logical upgrade is to increase resolution. I suppose the question is, does an increase in resolution at 24" really make sense.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

The only reasonable upgrade that would be noticeable would be a 2080 Super at minimum. And at that point, a 1080p display is even more a handicap.

As far as content creation goes, it is not a concern for me. This is strictly for gaming and content consumption. 

I feel the only logical upgrade is to increase resolution. I suppose the question is, does an increase in resolution at 24" really make sense.

Exactly, like if youre going to upgrade your GPU right now, id say go all in. 2080ti. wouldnt be worth spending another 600 bucks on a comparableish card. If you really want an upgrade on the card though. I'd recommend waiting for the next gen of cards. prices generally drop for earlier models, or get the next gen cards after seeing their performance. But i would not upgrade my card unless it was for a 2080ti, until next gen comes out.

if youre not doing content creation and are looking for a cheaper panel, this one is great. 10/10 reccomend as long as you dont care about color accuracy. colors are still fine, its just if you make a photoshop file, transfer it onto a higher quality panel, what you made might be purple but on the higher end panel, it may be purple with a bit of a blue hue to it

And yes. going from 1080 to 1440 is like going from 60hz to 144hz. so much easier to see detail. You dont see the pixels nearly as much... its a huge upgrade

Who I ordered it.

$249, not bad.

It comes in on Saturday