Cryptocurrency GPUs for ML?

AbnormalMatrix

Hi!,

I heard that you can buy old cryptocurrency mining GPUs that don't have a video output making them cheap. I am not interested in gaming on them, purly the computational power. I would like to get them cheaper than I could with a normal GPU. I can't seem to figure out which cards these are. Would they be suitible for machine learning? If you know anything, thank you in advance.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, AbnormalMatrix said:

Hi!,

I heard that you can buy old cryptocurrency mining GPUs that don't have a video output making them cheap. I am not interested in gaming on them, purly the computational power. I would like to get them cheaper than I could with a normal GPU. I can't seem to figure out which cards these are. Would they be suitible for machine learning? If you know anything, thank you in advance.

Thanks!

The RX 580 has a couple of variants with display-less, but why do you need these? A single high end GPU would be more effective and doesn't require you to buy an abnormally large PSU.

As a wise master once said, 

Put as much effort into your question as you would expect a stranger to add to their answer!

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 5 3800XT | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18 | MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X | Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD | Corsair AX850 Titanium | Fractal Design Define 7 White, Solid

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 16 | i9 9980H | 16 GB RAM |  1TB SSD | AppleCare+ | Space Grey

Peripherals: RAMA U-80 Lake | Logitech MX Master 3 | Kanto YU2 White + Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO 

Displays: LG GX 55"| Acer XB273K | Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q | LG 32UN650-W 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

The main reason is I want to save money on it. I really need anything with CUDA that is cheap. The RX 580 is AMD so it does not have CUDA right?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, AbnormalMatrix said:

You should probably be able to use them for machine learning, considering they can be used for mining and also F@H:

Not sure how it works with video output though.

3 minutes ago, AbnormalMatrix said:

The main reason is I want to save money on it. I really need anything with CUDA that is cheap. The RX 580 is AMD so it does not have CUDA right?

AMD videocard do not have CUDA cores, they have Stream Processor and use OpenCL computing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/