10 bit 120hz HDR or 8 bit 144hz no HDR?

HachemMourtada

Hello, i have a monitor Aorus AD27QD 1440p 144hz HDR IPS 1ms

i noticed that 10 bit colors only work on 120 hz (not sure why) and i can't enable 10 bit on 144hz.

i tried to enable HDR and it's true darker areas are more visible but i feel like the colors are a bit dull, not sure if this is how HDR should look like.

Should i enable it on my monitor and keep 120hz? or i disable it and go for 8 bit 144hz no hdr? is there a big difference between 120hz and 144hz?

i play alot of games appreciate the help

thank you

3 minutes ago, HachemMourtada said:

Should i enable it on my monitor and keep 120hz? or i disable it and go for 8 bit 144hz no hdr? is there a big difference between 120hz and 144hz?

Try both options when playing games. If you don't notice a significant difference between 10 bit and 8 bit, then switch your monitor to 144 Hz. Otherwise, leave it at 120 Hz. You have to decide for yourself what you like more.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

6 minutes ago, HachemMourtada said:

i noticed that 10 bit colors only work on 120 hz (not sure why) and i can't enable 10 bit on 144hz.

Because a higher color depth requires more bandwidth (more bits to send to the monitor), so 144 Hz would exceed the maximum bandwidth supported by the DisplayPort or HDMI version supported by your GPU and/or monitor.

There should be no noticeable difference between 120 Hz and 144 Hz... but why not simply test if you can notice a difference? If you can't, then it doesn't matter to you and that's what's important.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Because a higher color depth requires more bandwidth (more bits to send to the monitor), so 144 Hz would exceed the maximum bandwidth supported by the DisplayPort or HDMI version supported by your GPU and/or monitor.

There should be no noticeable difference between 120 Hz and 144 Hz... but why not simply test if you can notice a difference? If you can't, then it doesn't matter to you and that's what's important.

i have gtx 1080ti.. ill try testing in rdr2.... although the only thing that is bugging me is the difference in 144hz vs 120hz.. i play some fps games like Modern Warfare so not sure if it will affect my gameplay

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Try both options when playing games. If you don't notice a significant difference between 10 bit and 8 bit, then switch your monitor to 144 Hz. Otherwise, leave it at 120 Hz. You have to decide for yourself what you like more.

ill look into that thanks

2 minutes ago, HachemMourtada said:

i have gtx 1080ti.. ill try testing in rdr2.... although the only thing that is bugging me is the difference in 144hz vs 120hz.. i play some fps games like Modern Warfare so not sure if it will affect my gameplay

Like I said, test both and see if it makes a noticeable difference to you. Most likely it will not.

If you do the math, you'll see that at 144 Hz you get a new image every 6.9 milliseconds, at 120 Hz you get a new image every 8.3 milliseconds. A 1.4 ms difference is hardly noticeable, and mostly matters to professional players in competitive multiplayer titles.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply