MSI Board CPU-LED on (maybe BIOS issue)

Go to solution Solved by Swerik,

I had Many more Problems and all of them (including this) got fixed with a new Motherboard, sent mine back and got a replacement.

Hello,

I have build my First PC and have a weird problem:

On Tuesday I changed my CPU Cooler and after doing that my PC would either not post at all or crash after ~2mins on the desktop. Screen would turn black, GPU Fan would ramp up to 100% and the CPU-LED on the mobo was lit.

I fixed that with one of two things (I did both at the same time so idk what is was):

1. Pulled the CPU-Power plug out and in

2. Loosened the CPU-Cooler screws (was pretty sure i overtightened)

One of the two fixed the problem, until today, It randomly did it again 3 times.

The 4th time it booted normally, I did pull my PC a bit forward, bc it was close to the wall and I thought maybe the Power Cable was being bent or smth, I am really unsure why that happened all of the sudden today again and the past couple of days it didn't eventhough I literally didn't change anything.

Parts:

RTX 2060 super

Ryzen 7 3700X

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

Cooler Master Reactor 650W 80+ Gold

If someone has a clue, please help, I will keep you updated if it happens again.

UPDATE: I read a Lot and I'd guess it's either a RAM issue (I read that msi has a habit of liting the CPU_LED when it's actaully RAM) or my best guess: the latest BIOS is bugged, I have read it multiple times (Tho only months ago) that the latest MSI Bios of some Boards produces exactly this behaviour with Ryzen 3000 (eventhough the BIOS should make support for 3000 better not worse)

Maybe Someone has some experience with this Board and this BIOS Version or some Parts to try it out? I only have what I have.. 

One Source: 

19 hours ago, Swerik said:

Hello,

I have build my First PC and have a weird problem:

On Tuesday I changed my CPU Cooler and after doing that my PC would either not post at all or crash after ~2mins on the desktop. Screen would turn black, GPU Fan would ramp up to 100% and the CPU-LED on the mobo was lit.

I fixed that with one of two things (I did both at the same time so idk what is was):

1. Pulled the CPU-Power plug out and in

2. Loosened the CPU-Cooler screws (was pretty sure i overtightened)

One of the two fixed the problem, until today, It randomly did it again 3 times.

The 4th time it booted normally, I did pull my PC a bit forward, bc it was close to the wall and I thought maybe the Power Cable was being bent or smth, I am really unsure why that happened all of the sudden today again and the past couple of days it didn't eventhough I literally didn't change anything.

Parts:

RTX 2060 super

Ryzen 7 3700X

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

Cooler Master Reactor 650W 80+ Gold

If someone has a clue, please help, I will keep you updated if it happens again.

My old boss when i was building desktops always told me if something doesn't work the way it should "re seat the ram" "re seat the cpu"

re seat pretty much everything one plug one part at a time so if you fix it you know what it was. also when i say everything i mean the gpu too never know if you accidentally bumped it.

40 minutes ago, bronsonj said:

My old boss when i was building desktops always told me if something doesn't work the way it should "re seat the ram" "re seat the cpu"

re seat pretty much everything one plug one part at a time so if you fix it you know what it was. also when i say everything i mean the gpu too never know if you accidentally bumped it.

will try that after work, seems to have worked the first time, I'll update later today

EDIT: It might work for a couple of days and then it will not work again, so I might bump this again in a few days (that's what happened the first time)

Edited by Swerik

Okay so it didn't happen again today, even afert 5 repoots over the day, when it happens again, I will try replugging and reseating everything one thing at a time and if it doesn't get fixd, I will open a new thread, but I will close this now, thank you!

Yesterday it happened 2 times or so so I replugged every Power Cable and after that it was fine.

Today It was really bad, it wouldn't stay on after booting for 7 times in a row

I took out the CPU und put it back in and it booted instantly without problems 3 times in a row now

Let's see how long this will last..

Updated the question:

Maybe someone with the same board and a 3000-CPU can test out BIOS or speak from experience? I don't really want to try A Previous BIOS version, then if it didn't work, the one before, so on because we get power shortages every now and then and I don't want to risk it so often, once okay, aber not if it takes me multiple versions

EDIT: it booted fine with XMP disabled

For everyone Having the same problem, MSI Support responded and said:

If you want to run Memory at 3200MHz.

You have to activate XMP in BIOS.

Should your System not run or show Errors with XMP activated, could this be because of too low Memory Voltage.

Here it can help to raise the voltage by 0.05V.

In Bios under "OC" with activated XMP: put DRAM voltage for example from 1.20V to 1.25V or from 1.25V to 1.30V

Should you still have no luck, try the MSI BIOS option "Memory try it" with the desired memoryspeed.

I bumped up the Voltage from 1.23xV to 1.300V and I'll see if this is fixed now. If not I will come back and answer, if nothing happnes for the next couple of days I will mark this as solved.

(Original Quote in German):

Spoiler

Wenn Sie den Speicher mit 3200MHz betreiben möchten.

Müssen Sie im BIOS XMP aktivieren.
(XMP – Ist ein Speicher Einstellungsprofil, welches vom Speicherhersteller im Speicher SPD hinterlegt wird.)

Sollte das System mit aktivierten XMP Profil nicht laufen oder Fehler anzeigen, kann dies an der Speicherspannung liegen, d.h. das diese zu gering ist.

Hier kann es helfen die Speicherspannung um 0,05V anzuheben.
Daher im BIOS unter OC mit aktivierten XMP die DRAM Voltage z.b. von 1,20V auf 1,25V hoch setzten oder wenn der Speicher 1,25V vorgibt 1,30V Einzustellen.

Sollte dies auch keinen Erfolg bringen, können Sie den Speicher auch mit der
MSI BIOS Option „ Memory try it“ Einstellen, dazu im BIOS unter OC die Option auswählen und den Speichertakt auswählen.

19 hours ago, Swerik said:

For everyone Having the same problem, MSI Support responded and said:

I bumped up the Voltage from 1.23xV to 1.300V and I'll see if this is fixed now. If not I will come back and answer, if nothing happnes for the next couple of days I will mark this as solved.

(Original Quote in German):

Reveal hidden contents

trued both, didn't work.

Bumping up the Voltage helped for yesterday but it didn't boot again today.

Memory Try It didn't even boot once.

Anyone?

1. Turn off Quick Boot / Fast Boot

2. that's just a workaround. Prob either my CPU, Mobo or RAM is broken, im currently letting my Mobo get checked.

• 4 weeks later...

I had Many more Problems and all of them (including this) got fixed with a new Motherboard, sent mine back and got a replacement.