“Reboot and select proper boot device”

I recently installed a new XPG sx6000 pro ssd, but whenever I try to boot into windows, it says “Reboot and Select proper boot device”. Before installing the ssd everything was working fine

EDIT: Removed the SSD and now it’s booting fine, any suggestions to ensure I can install it safely?

your BIOS is trying to boot from the new SSD, but there's no operating system on that new SSD.

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the first device in that order is the old SSD with windows on it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Sounds like your computer is trying to boot off of the new SSD, which probably doesn't have Windows installed. Go into BIOS and make sure the drive with Windows on it is selected as the primary boot drive.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Sounds like your computer is trying to boot off of the new SSD, which probably doesn't have Windows installed. Go into BIOS and make sure the drive with Windows on it is selected as the primary boot drive.

I did, and it still says to reboot and select proper boot device

2 minutes ago, alz0o said:

What other storage drives have you installed and which one contains windows? Kindly elaborate.

2 minutes ago, alz0o said:

Played around a bit with the settings and it is now booting off the hard drive, any suggestions to install the new ssd?

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

What other storage drives have you installed and which one contains windows? Kindly elaborate.

I have installed a seagate barracuda 1tb, that is the one with windows on it. I disconnected the ssd i am trying to install and it windows now boots.

1 minute ago, alz0o said:

I have installed a seagate barracuda 1tb, that is the one with windows on it. I disconnected the ssd i am trying to install and it windows now boots.

Did you change the boot order in the bios after installing the ssd? (The one with priority in boot should be one the top)

By the way, it's a M.2 ssd right?

5 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Did you change the boot order in the bios after installing the ssd? (The one with priority in boot should be one the top)

By the way, it's a M.2 ssd right?

Yeah I did, the Hard Drive was at the top, and yeah its a m.2

10 minutes ago, alz0o said:

Yeah I did, the Hard Drive was at the top, and yeah its a m.2

21 minutes ago, alz0o said:

Played around a bit with the settings and it is now booting off the hard drive, any suggestions to install the new ssd?

So its booting off the hardrive now and not the ssd right? I didnt saw this message 

16 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

So its booting off the hardrive now and not the ssd right? I didnt saw this message 

Yep currently booting off HDD

4 minutes ago, alz0o said:

Yep currently booting off HDD

Eh so this issue is solved right? 

:D

45 minutes ago, alz0o said:

If you want to boot from the new SSD, then you need to install Windows on the SSD. Simply adding it to your computer isn't enough. Since Windows is installed on the HDD, you still need to boot from that.

Another option would be to use some software to clone drives and clone Windows onto the SSD, then you should be able to boot from that (and then format the HDD to use it as a storage drive... after you've verified that everything works correctly).

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you want to boot from the new SSD, then you need to install Windows on the SSD. Simply adding it to your computer isn't enough. Since Windows is installed on the HDD, you still need to boot from that.

Another option would be to use some software to clone drives and clone Windows onto the SSD, then you should be able to boot from that (and then format the HDD to use it as a storage drive... after you've verified that everything works correctly).

Ahh ok, but the problem is I can’t actually boot when I have both drives installed... any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Eh so this issue is solved right? 

:D

Lol... still trying to install ssd! I can’t even boot into windows when it is installed

3 minutes ago, alz0o said:

Lol... still trying to install ssd! I can’t even boot into windows when it is installed

Because your BIOS probably changes the boot order when you do. Make sure the boot order is set to boot from the HDD when it is connected. Because it doesn't sound like it is.

Maybe attach a photo from the BIOS so people can see what is selected :)

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Because your BIOS probably changes the boot order when you do. Make sure the boot order is set to boot from the HDD when it is connected. Because it doesn't sound like it is.

Maybe attach a photo from the BIOS so people can see what is selected :)

Ok, attaching image now. I think the SSD has something to do with this, as the HDD changes from a name I can’t exactly remember, to ‘Hard Drive’ as you can see

image.jpg

this isnt simply a case of the fact that installing an M.2, disables some of the SATA ports? so what's happening you install the M.2, grand it works, but you have now Turned off the port for the old SATA drive ... bye bye windows! 

check the manual for disabled ports when using m.2 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

3 minutes ago, Technane said:

this isnt simply a case of the fact that installing an M.2, disables some of the SATA ports? so what's happening you install the M.2, grand it works, but you have now Turned off the port for the old SATA drive ... bye bye windows! 

Thank you! Checking the manual now

9 minutes ago, Technane said:

Sorry for another question but how would I switch my HDD to a different Sata port?

you would need to trace the cable board side, unplug it, and then plug into another port, the SATA ports are normally on the right hand edge of a Mobo, but sometimes in the bottom right corner. and more than likely directly below the end of the graphics card where you might not be able to see it

ICT professional, Addicted to PC