csgo python

OverclockingNub

plain and simple. how hard/easy would it be to code a game like csgo that isnt bad and actually plays well with python?

14 minutes ago, OverclockingNub said:

like csgo

Depends, are you just trying to make a simple FPS game, or do you want something with that level of complexity? Because anything beyond something basic is far better suited for Unity or Unreal Engine

A girl who loves to love.

Is this from scratch, or using an engine like Panda3D?

21 minutes ago, OverclockingNub said:

plain and simple. how hard/easy would it be to code a game like csgo that isnt bad and actually plays well with python?

Well anything is possible, however, it would require a bit of work. There are several factors that would determine the difficulty of this such as game engine/library and all the functions required to make it what you want it to be. It would also depend on the quality of work you want. Now I'm no professional in game design, but these are my two cents.

As I was typing this @Aimi mentioned Unity and Unreal Engine, which maybe look into scripting in both of those to get to know game development. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 hour ago, Creed1 said:

Well anything is possible, however, it would require a bit of work. There are several factors that would determine the difficulty of this such as game engine/library and all the functions required to make it what you want it to be. It would also depend on the quality of work you want. Now I'm no professional in game design, but these are my two cents.

As I was typing this @Aimi mentioned Unity and Unreal Engine, which maybe look into scripting in both of those to get to know game development. 

1 hour ago, embed__ said:

Is this from scratch, or using an engine like Panda3D?

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

Depends, are you just trying to make a simple FPS game, or do you want something with that level of complexity? Because anything beyond something basic is far better suited for Unity or Unreal Engine

so i just started learning python as im 15 and i want to go into game dev for my career and take computer science in university. i want to prepare my self as much as possible should i start with python then transfer to say c# for unity/unreal.

Just now, OverclockingNub said:

so i just started learning python as im 15 and i want to go into game dev for my career and take computer science in university. i want to prepare my self as much as possible should i start with python then transfer to say c# for unity/unreal.

Python is fine to start with, but you shouldn't be expecting to use it for any major game projects. C#, C++, and Java are all languages to consider for game development, though.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Python is fine to start with, but you shouldn't be expecting to use it for any major game projects. C#, C++, and Java are all languages to consider for game development, though.

which gives the most money? for game dev

1 minute ago, OverclockingNub said:

Uhhhhhhhhh

you have to make a good game to get money, regardless of language

48 minutes ago, OverclockingNub said:

I used to be in a similar boat years ago. I'm currently in my junior year of high school taking an AP Computer Science class. I'm not an expert by any means, but here is what I have learned through my experience. I would start with one language such as Python (that's atleast what I started with). Learn the basic fundamentals of programming such as looping, data structures, object-orientated, and computational thinking. One you understand one language, I feel its a lot easier to learn others. For now I would start building upon smaller projects, such as guess the number, password generator, etc. As you continue to practice, the more you will improve upon your skills. 

42 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Uhhhhhhhhh

you have to make a good game to get money, regardless of language

no i ment getting a job with a company which language pays more

1 minute ago, Creed1 said:

I used to be in a similar boat years ago. I'm currently in my junior year of high school taking an AP Computer Science class. I'm not an expert by any means, but here is what I have learned through my experience. I would start with a singular language such as Python (that's atleast what I started with). Learn the basic fundamentals of programming such as looping, data structures, object-orientated, and computational thinking. One you understand one language, I feel its a lot easier to learn others. For now I would start building upon smaller projects, such as guess the number, password generator, etc. As you continue to practice, the more you will improve upon your skills. From their I would move on to Unity/Unreal. 

great idea thanks man

Just now, OverclockingNub said:

no i ment getting a job with a company which language pays more

Companies have different experience that they're looking for. One language doesn't magically pay higher than the other, but some are in higher demand at least.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Companies have different experience that they're looking for. One language doesn't magically pay higher than the other, but some are in higher demand at least.

whats the highest demand language rn?

3 minutes ago, OverclockingNub said:

Solely for game development? I don't know what it would be. But if you think you'll be using Unity, you'll want to know C# and JavaScript, while Unreal Engine uses C++. Java is good to know as well, as it's commonly used.

There's other options, of course, but you should start small right now and try to learn core concepts of programming rather than chasing specific languages.

I would focus on learning the fundamentals of programming. Keep researching and learning new information and technologies. Take as many opportunities as possible to learn such as any AP/Computer Science classes your school offers.  

The other stuff comes such as pay comes later down the road. Just do what you want to do. 

35 minutes ago, OverclockingNub said:

If you're in it for the money, being a developer for anything other than games is probably a lot less stressful and usually has better pay, too. Best pay is usually in maintaining some business critical, non-replaceable legacy system that no one wants to do, because the language it was written in is old and clunky and simply "not as much fun".

An ex-coworker of mine previously worked as a game dev. He said he left because he could simply no longer endure the extreme workload, long hours and bad pay (now that he had a family). Mind you, we still had crunch time and long hours close to product releases but according to him it was considerably less and better paid than his previous job.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

i wrote a game from scratch in  c++ (render-engine, lights, model-loading, collision detection, everything) and one in unity (c# scripts)

if you are asking which language is right for game dev you prop should start with unity

unity takes care of ALOT of stuff for you that c++ (even with opengl etc) doesnt => collesion detection.. => therefore you still need to be good at math but not asgood compared to writing everything from scratch 

unity has more online tutorials

unity has more questions asked & answerd (e.g. stackoverflow)

but if you want to work for a company the chance is very high that they already have tools that they are using and you have to adapt

like @Eigenvektor already pointed out - if you are just in it for the money i wouldnt develop games for a company

maybe if you have a brilliant idea and you can realize it alone or as a small team its worth it because you get more cash out of it

but if you work for a company you get pretty good salary but you have extrem long working hours

one of my profs was working as a game dev and he told us that he earned alot of money but didnt want to work in that industry anymore because he had no time for his family

2 hours ago, KNG_HOLDY said:

like @Eigenvektor already pointed out - if you are just in it for the money i wouldnt develop games for a company

maybe if you have a brilliant idea and you can realize it alone or as a small team its worth it because you get more cash out of it

but if you work for a company you get pretty good salary but you have extrem long working hours

Yup i remember a programmer buddy that was at Ubisoft. When game release for new year was coming he was working crazy hours 6-7 days a week with no vacation. We were hearing no news from him for 3 months straight. He eventually left and went to EA and same gig there. When release date came, games where never ready and the long hours started.

I have other buddies that made simple android/ios games with other friends and quality of life seemed a million times better than working at a big company but the salary wasn't even close to the big company.

10 hours ago, OverclockingNub said:

for game dev i would say c++

if you know c/c++ most other languages are quite easy to learn

if you know c++, c# should not be a problem to learn in a reasonable amount of time

Fundamentals & basic/starter level projects >>>>>>>>>> getting stuck on  a massive project and discouraged.

With programming its better off starting from the basics and creating little projects that you come up. Starting on a big project, like your talking about, will be extremely challenging and intimidating, you'll hit  more problems than you can fix. You'll end up getting discouraged. 

If I were you, I wouldn't solely focus on game development because its hard to get into, a friend of mine did a game development course at university, finished it and then couldn't find  a job as a game dev, instead he became a Junior Developer at a financial company.

13 hours ago, OverclockingNub said:

This is a mindset issue, not a language issue.

Game development is an extremely multi-field practice that regularly pushes the limits of what computers can actually do. You need to be focusing more on "how to program" than "what do I program with". Once you learn how to program, "what do I program with" becomes a non-sequitur because the decision of language(s) to use will be driven entirely by the needs of the business and/or the project.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

17 hours ago, OverclockingNub said:

Game engines can be scripted in languages like Python (not every engine) but to make a game you often will need more than a scripting layer (assets, game overall idea, additional engine plugins, customization etc.). Overall Python in gaming is rather rare as major game engines do not support it. There are some alternative lesser ones and Python PyGame stack but that's really limited in terms of popularity/monetization/job market. Also a "game developer" isn't responsible for everything, there are specializations.

As as other pointed out you will need years of experience in the field (and with mostly not-Python if you want to be a game dev in good companies).