What is this black mark on the screen?

ToxicGhost98

Hello. I think I got a pixel or something on my PC. At first I thought it was, but now I'm not sure because I took a picture close up of the mark over the cursor and it is not shaped like a pixel at all as seen on the picture. I only had this monitor for like 4 months. How can this happen? I don't know if it is a dead pixel or not. It looks like one from far view but close up it does not.

pixel.png

dust

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Could be dust or a bug.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

dust

I try cleaning it off but I don't feel it.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Could be dust or a bug.

Looks like a pixel but I can't clean it off. But maybe it went inside the screen.

1 minute ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I try cleaning it off but I don't feel it.

it's dust under the screen

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Jumballi said:

it's dust under the screen

You mean inside?

1 minute ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

Looks like a pixel but I can't clean it off. But maybe it went inside the screen.

Yeah, dust/bug on the inside of the screen.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yeah, dust/bug on the inside of the screen.

How would I clean it off tho?

2 minutes ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

How would I clean it off tho?

As far as I know, that's not practically possible, since the problem is within the layers of the screen.

Just now, minibois said:

As far as I know, that's not practically possible, since the problem is within the layers of the screen.

I thought you could use compressed air or something. Would it go away tho?

10 hours ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

I thought you could use compressed air or something. Would it go away tho?

No. It’s there forever. Unless you can create a perfect, dustless vacuum and disassemble the whole screen.

9 hours ago, Jumballi said:

No. It’s there forever. Unless you can create a perfect, dustless vacuum and disassemble the whole screen.

There’s a hole in the back of the monitor with a lock symbol above it. Would that be to open it up?

Opening the monitor won't do any good, it's in the LCD module itself. Any attempt to open that if possible at all non-destructively would end up worse.

And no, that hole is just for attaching a Kensington lock to the monitor.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Opening the monitor won't do any good, it's in the LCD module itself. Any attempt to open that if possible at all non-destructively would end up worse.

And no, that hole is just for attaching a Kensington lock to the monitor.

So if dust can’t get out of the monitor how does it even get in? I don’t get it...

2 hours ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

So if dust can’t get out of the monitor how does it even get in? I don’t get it...

Monitors have super small gaps that have a ridiculously low chance of of dust entering. Around 1/10,000 chance, but the chance it leaves out of those gaps when there's no forces acting on it except gravity is practically 0

18 hours ago, Jumballi said:

Monitors have super small gaps that have a ridiculously low chance of of dust entering. Around 1/10,000 chance, but the chance it leaves out of those gaps when there's no forces acting on it except gravity is practically 0

Have you ever been to Micro Center? Because it said something about Manufacturer's warranty there.

1 hour ago, ToxicGhost98 said:

Have you ever been to Micro Center? Because it said something about Manufacturer's warranty there.

There is no microcenter near me. As for manufacturer's warranty, when something similar happened to me and I did my research, it seemed the only company that covered this issue was dell, but only on specific over priced models.

Probably a small bug that wondered inside it. I once had a tiny ant walking around inside my screen for my desperation.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jumballi said:

There is no microcenter near me. As for manufacturer's warranty, when something similar happened to me and I did my research, it seemed the only company that covered this issue was dell, but only on specific over priced models.

Because it said they'll take a manufacturer's warranty for anything under $500 so I was making sure.