Ryzen 1600AF No Post

Kralizec

Hello everyone,

So, my GF decided to finally get a desktop but we cant seem to get it running.

The componenets:

MOBO: ASRock B450M PRO4-F - AMD B450 - bought new

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (AF variant) - bought new

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite gray 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 - bought new

GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 Phoenix, 8GB GDDR5 - my old GPU, I was upgrading so I gave it to her

PSU: SilentiumPC Vero M2 Bronze 600W

The problem we have is that the system wont even post.

Ive tried all the usual stuff - checking if all the cables are plugged in correctly, using just a single RAM stick (in all slots might I add), pulling everything out of the system and adding it back in - I even checked whether I put the CPU in correctly.

I truly feel dumb because I cannot figure this one out. There are no error sounds (beep) no nothing. The monitor just keeps blank with an occasional "no signal" when I try turning it on and off again.

I even tried putting my spare GPU (another 1070, this time from Asus) and using different RAMs - Corsair Vengeance LPX Blue 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000.

If anyone has any clue onto what could be going on, I would really love any help you guys could provide.

Thanks to anyone who replies

1600AF is a new cpu, you might want to update the bios first

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

I would love to do that but how honestly I do not know how to update the BIOS if I dont even post - so I cannot get into the BIOS.

You could try RMAing the board. Motherboard manufacturers will often update the BIOS for you under warranty.

4 minutes ago, Kralizec said:

I would love to do that but how honestly I do not know how to update the BIOS if I dont even post - so I cannot get into the BIOS.

borrow a 1st or 2nd gen ryzen from a friend, go to a computer shop, or return the motherboard.

Your motherboard need the latest bios to run that cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The 1600AF is a Zen+ CPU so all B450 motherboards should support it out of the box according to AMD. I personally would guess that the MB or CPU is defective.

1 minute ago, KaitouX said:

The 1600AF is a Zen+ CPU so all B450 motherboards should support it out of the box according to AMD. I personally would guess that the MB or CPU is defective.

no, eventhough its based on 2nd gen, the cpu must be listed inside the bios code. 

check the cpu support list for that mobo, it needs latest bios.

try with your psu. maybe your psu is dead. ram should be in slots 2 and 4. does anything happen? fans spinning, rgb turning on?

Dumb question but is the power button connected?

If you have a multi meter check if the motherboard even has power. If so, you can rule out the PSU (or replace it with another one for testing), if the motherboard does nothing, no fans spin up no beeping it could be a dead motherboard. To be sure, remove the cpu next and power it up again, if you hear lots of beeping you have a dead cpu, if not RMA the board.

Also check again after having removed the board from the case. I've had grounding issues on ASrock boards in the past, solder points came in contact with case and it wouldn't post as well.

I am getting power - the fans are spinning - on the case, on the CPU and on the GPU.

I am going to try to ask a friend if he could lend me his CPU tomorrow, but under the quarantine (Europe) this might prove somewhat hard. RMA the board would lead to at least a month if not more of waiting. I am planning to try to rebuild the system out of the case tomorrow as well, but its almost 8PM here and Ive been trying to fix this since 2PM and I think that if I would do any more building I would probably throw the thing out of the window soon - so I need a bit of downtime.

If you can't borrow a CPU or take it to a PC shop to get them to update BIOS for you, you have 2 options left, buy a CPU like the Athlon 200GE to update your BIOS, or get a different motherboard that has BIOS flashback on it, such as an MSI tomahwak/max or so on.

47 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

no, eventhough its based on 2nd gen, the cpu must be listed inside the bios code. 

check the cpu support list for that mobo, it needs latest bios.

It shouldn't need to, I doubt the listed name includes the revision(it's probably listed as 1600 not as 1600AE), and at least I haven't seen people having issues with bios using the 1600AF on older boards, also going by that even most Ryzen 3000 ready motherboards wouldn't support the 1600AF out of the box as they often have bios that were released before the 1600AF.

1 hour ago, KaitouX said:

It shouldn't need to, I doubt the listed name includes the revision(it's probably listed as 1600 not as 1600AE), and at least I haven't seen people having issues with bios using the 1600AF on older boards, also going by that even most Ryzen 3000 ready motherboards wouldn't support the 1600AF out of the box as they often have bios that were released before the 1600AF.

The AF is not listed as supported cpu in this model, but it was added in the B450 Pro 4, which stated it needs the bios ver.3.9 

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#CPU

image.png.212110b0daf95a4bbc4153a67b6f2a36.png

To run this cpu it will need a Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B, which is found in the 2.0 bios version of the PRO4-F.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 3:43 PM, SupaKomputa said:

The AF is not listed as supported cpu in this model, but it was added in the B450 Pro 4, which stated it needs the bios ver.3.9 

To run this cpu it will need a Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B, which is found in the 2.0 bios version of the PRO4-F.

I am not sure what part of BIOS 3.9 makes the 1600AF compatible, but all of the gigabyte brand boards list BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.0a (pinnacle ridge) for the 1600AF. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, new here and joined for this specific topic. I have almost the exact same setup. 

1600af on an b450m pro4-f, with yet one single ram(hynix 8gb 2667mhz) and my used gtx 960 4gb + peripherals. Also unable to reach post screen nor bios settings,not to speak of window booting. 

Tried everything troubleshooting. Different power supply, different pcie slot for graphics, every possible video signal output, of course cmos clear, starting with minimal devices connected,ram in several slots, checked the correct cpu mounting, board surface check for scratches, no hard drives, all hard drives etc. 

So I figured yesterday either something is broken(cpu highly unlikely, ram and board unlikely but could be) or it might be a bios problem. 

The Question:

Did you, OP, solve your problem? Which bios version did you use? Do you guys recommend the version 3.90 of the pro4 (since it's not intended for the f version) and will this one run on that board? 

I want to go to a computer store soon after trying a friends Ram to rule that out as error source, and would like to have the info which bios they should put on if no hardware is damaged. 

Thanks a lot for help! 

• 2 weeks later...

Similar issue after finishing initial build today. After a few blue screens with different errors, was able to post and get windows running. However RAM was only showing 2133 MHz below 3200MHz. Turned on XMP profile, boot, blue screen, still able to access bios. Return to default and everything works again but can’t overclock CPU, can’t overclock ram, can’t use ram at base clock.

so I’m stuck at CPU 3.6GHz and memory at 2133 MHz

B450 PRO4-F

1600 AF

Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2X8GB 16GB 3200MHz 

1650 super WINDFORCE OC 4G GDDR6

ASRock says - 

“Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

Please read the information below before downloading or updating your BIOS

We do not recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally. ASRock assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read " (How to Update)" below carefully. After updating BIOS, all the settings will be reset to the default.*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.”

1600AF is Pinnacle Ridge. I can get into Bios with no issue. Can I safely update?

or follow ASRocks NOT recommended updating....

could it be a completely different issue?

calling all B450 PRO4-F owners. Or anyone... 

please advise 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:43 PM, SupaKomputa said:

Except the OP has the B450m Pro4-F which has a completely different BIOS and the AF variant of the 1600 requires p2.00 minimum