GTX 660Ti issue. Is it for recycling?

Abudis
Go to solution Solved by cobalt77,

It does sound dead, sorry. The fans still operate because the part of the card that feeds power to them still works. The fact that you tried it in a friends machine (good trouble shooting BTW) and the result was the same, then that reduces the chance that it is a PCIe slot motherboard, PSU, bios, or firmware issue. I would speculate that the issue lies with the GPU chip its self or onboard power supply components that feed the GPU chip. There are so many ways that they can just up and die with age. That was the main reason why I suggested taking the cooler off and to have a look, there is a slim chance that one of the capacitors (the really really small ones) or other component could have cooked its self (could be discoloured, or even blown up) and no longer conducting power, and that power pathway happens to be crucial for the GPU. But this a long shot. 

Hey guys, I've asked in other forums in my country but I guess the audience here is much larger and thus collectively more knowledgeable.

I have a Gigabyte GTX 660Ti, which suddenly stopped sending image to my screen the other day (and not while pushing it or anything, I was just browsing). I have tried the following:
- Uninstalling drivers using a DDU program from guru3d. Trying to re-install them gave me a notice that I don't have an Nvidia Graphics card
- Reseating the GPU and changing PCI-E slot
- Scanning for hardware changes in device manager
- Giving the card to a friend to try and install it on his PC and having the same results

The situation is the following:
- When I turn on the computer the GPU fans start spinning normally but no image is projected on screen (and the screen goes into power-saving mode)
- The GPU doesn't show up in device manager

i suspect that the card is unusable at this point. Is there anything else I can try or does it go straight for recycling?

Thank you

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

Yeah that sounds like a dead card to me, if you need a replacement, the GTX 1050Ti or perhaps even a 1650 would be good.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

4 hours ago, GreyestGoat said:

Yeah that sounds like a dead card to me, if you need a replacement, the GTX 1050Ti or perhaps even a 1650 would be good.

I think I'm probably going to go for something like an RX580, as a general hardware upgrade is in the works, however given the situation here (Greece) with COVID-19 everything will be postponed for later.

Would you try anything on a card like mine? Or does it go straight to the bin?

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 550D PSU: Corsair TX750M M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H CPU: Intel i5 3570K COOLER: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: Gigabyte GTX-660Ti SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black MONITOR: LG IPS231P-BN

bumping. Any other opinions on the issue?

Seeing the card is dead you have nothing to loose in pulling it out, removing the fan/HS, and give the card a very close look look over. It is very doubtful that you will actually spot something, but you may get lucky.  

23 hours ago, cobalt77 said:

Seeing the card is dead you have nothing to loose in pulling it out, removing the fan/HS, and give the card a very close look look over. It is very doubtful that you will actually spot something, but you may get lucky.  

From my description, do you think the card is dead? If so, why do the fans operate? Is it possible that all this is a firmware/BIOS issue?

It does sound dead, sorry. The fans still operate because the part of the card that feeds power to them still works. The fact that you tried it in a friends machine (good trouble shooting BTW) and the result was the same, then that reduces the chance that it is a PCIe slot motherboard, PSU, bios, or firmware issue. I would speculate that the issue lies with the GPU chip its self or onboard power supply components that feed the GPU chip. There are so many ways that they can just up and die with age. That was the main reason why I suggested taking the cooler off and to have a look, there is a slim chance that one of the capacitors (the really really small ones) or other component could have cooked its self (could be discoloured, or even blown up) and no longer conducting power, and that power pathway happens to be crucial for the GPU. But this a long shot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 3:58 PM, cobalt77 said:

Damn, I never saw your reply. Thanks a lot for your input. I did try a lot of things to troubleshoot it and I'll try what you suggested but it's probably going to go to recycling or giving it away to someone that may find some use out of it. It's a rather outdated card if I'm honest, it's struggling in some games and it's high time for an upgrade. It sadly coincided with the whole pandemic thing. My country has been in lockdown for like......a month now, so I'm holding off on making any decision for the time being. Thank you and @GreyestGoat for your help though