4790k Freeze and crash

RLevasse

Good day,

I've been having a problem for months and it has finally driving me to seek help since my troubleshooting skills have been exhausted.

I've been getting BSOD, and while I think it's due to system memory or cpu load I'm not sure.

I did increase the page file size to 1.5 times my ram (4X4 GB corsair vengeance pro blue) recently to no noticeable effect.

Dump and Perfmon:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rNVXLKRQWZWJnDtjgS0ufMpccyDI6Bpl

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Exv-XD12xyVqmSvR1nX04a7GIZLMpjV0

• OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? Windows 10
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? X64
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? Windows 7
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)? Retail
  • Age of system (hardware) 6 years
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? 1.5 years
  • CPU model I7 4790K
  • Video Card model ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix OC 1253MHZ 4GB
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) ASUS Z97-A ATX LGA1150
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this) Corsair AX860 860W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum
  • System Manufacturer N/A
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop) N/A
  • Laptop or Desktop? Desktop
  •  

I've been holding off upgrading the cpu/motherboard and the GPU until another generation or so, but if it's a problem with one of those I guess I'll pony up the money. I just need to know where the problem lies.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Just to mention, BSOD doesn't really have to be from your memory or CPU, even if the BSOD error code says so, windows is just crap, also increasing or decreasing the page file does nothing.

If you believe its the RAM you can try memtest86 or the built in windows memory diagnose tool, set it to full scan or whatever they call that option and let it run, although I prefer memtest86.
Removing the memory sticks and trying them one by one can help identify the faulty stick if there is any.

If you suspect its just windows being windows you can try booting a linux distro from a USB stick, and try browsing, and doing regular stuff and see if it crashes or not.
It can also be a faulty driver, or windows messing with drivers or something, if the linux distro goes all well, a fresh install of windows might do the trick.

I do recommend you try the memory test and linux distro first before attempting to play with the hardware, if the issue still persists, try resetting your bios, unplug everything maybe clean the components, check if the CPU is seated well as it can lead to some memory issues, and try again.

Another thing that might cause a BSOD is a faulty hard drive, as some windows components might be broken or missing.

My apologies I can't view the dump you provided Im not on my personal computer, but you can check what I mentioned above.

3 hours ago, Salazar said:

Just to mention, BSOD doesn't really have to be from your memory or CPU, even if the BSOD error code says so, windows is just crap, also increasing or decreasing the page file does nothing.

If you believe its the RAM you can try memtest86 or the built in windows memory diagnose tool, set it to full scan or whatever they call that option and let it run, although I prefer memtest86.
Removing the memory sticks and trying them one by one can help identify the faulty stick if there is any.

If you suspect its just windows being windows you can try booting a linux distro from a USB stick, and try browsing, and doing regular stuff and see if it crashes or not.
It can also be a faulty driver, or windows messing with drivers or something, if the linux distro goes all well, a fresh install of windows might do the trick.

I do recommend you try the memory test and linux distro first before attempting to play with the hardware, if the issue still persists, try resetting your bios, unplug everything maybe clean the components, check if the CPU is seated well as it can lead to some memory issues, and try again.

Another thing that might cause a BSOD is a faulty hard drive, as some windows components might be broken or missing.

My apologies I can't view the dump you provided Im not on my personal computer, but you can check what I mentioned above.

Report attached but it passed three full sets of memtest 86 with no failures. Debating a full clean install but it didn't help last time.

MemTest86-Report-20200321-151400.html

17 hours ago, RLevasse said:

Report attached but it passed three full sets of memtest 86 with no failures. Debating a full clean install but it didn't help last time.

MemTest86-Report-20200321-151400.html 19.65 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry for replying late.

If the RAM is working perfectly and a clean windows does nothing. Maybe check and reset your BIOS if you have some custom/overclock settings applied, or try booting a Linux distro from another drive.

I mentioned Linux as its quite stable, another drive cause I said, a faulty storage can cause such issues as well.

The only other obvious issue would be a incorrectly seated CPU, as the memory controller might not work as intended if not all the pins are in proper contact, that's a problem that I personally had before with a similar system actually (ROG 7 Ranger and 4770K).

Cleaning the components and re-plugging them one by one and testing at each phase helps identify the faulty component if there is any.

A faulty GPU can also cause display problems, since the 4790K got a iGPU you can unplug your GTX970 and try running the system using the HD4600, see if that does anything.

I would've said it might also be a compatibility issue but if the issue didn't start from day one its pretty hard to confirm.

58 minutes ago, Salazar said:

Sorry for replying late.

If the RAM is working perfectly and a clean windows does nothing. Maybe check and reset your BIOS if you have some custom/overclock settings applied, or try booting a Linux distro from another drive.

I mentioned Linux as its quite stable, another drive cause I said, a faulty storage can cause such issues as well.

The only other obvious issue would be a incorrectly seated CPU, as the memory controller might not work as intended if not all the pins are in proper contact, that's a problem that I personally had before with a similar system actually (ROG 7 Ranger and 4770K).

Cleaning the components and re-plugging them one by one and testing at each phase helps identify the faulty component if there is any.

A faulty GPU can also cause display problems, since the 4790K got a iGPU you can unplug your GTX970 and try running the system using the HD4600, see if that does anything.

I would've said it might also be a compatibility issue but if the issue didn't start from day one its pretty hard to confirm.

Thanks, I'll look at reinstalling the cpu this week.

Still hoping someone on here knows the dump files well enough to take a look and help isolate the issue from the report.