Drive order in task manager

It really bothers me that E: is at the top of the list of my drives because i mainly use task manager to monitor things. Is there a way to put it in alphabetical order where its supposed to be?

I have tried switching the sata ports my drives are connected to on my mobo but they show up the same in task manager.

FYI all my drives are SATA drives.

Capture.JPG

I've had a similar issue but during Windows 10 reinstall where my C and D partitions from my primary and also boot SSD drive were listed as DISK1 after my hoarding storage HDD with letter E (as DISK0). Turns out it matters which SATA port drive is plugged into physically on the motherboard. Bootloader however doesn't care about it so you can plug it anywhere and Windows will always boot just fine. Apparently my HDD was plugged into SATA1 port and SSD into SATA2 creating this weird nonsense. After inverting them by plugging SSD into SATA1 and HDD in SATA2, everything was listed correctly again everywhere, during Windows install partition managing, in Disk Management and it's also properly ordered in Task Manager.

How many drives do you have physically here? Check your motherboard manual on what's the sequenced order of SATA ports and plug your drives in that same preferred order physically. You'll probably have to change their letters again because Windows tends to bork that up after you physically shuffle them around. At least it did in my case, but I only had 2 letters to change as I only have 2 physical drives and 3 partitions.

Let me know if it worked, if you don't understand anything, let me know and I'll try to rephrase it if needed.

I understand what u mean. I have 4 drives, an ssd for Windows and 3 hard drives. I have an Asus b450-f and have looked at the manual online to see what order the sata ports are but they weren't labelled. I originally had only 3 drives plugged in across the bottom 3 ports because it was the easiest thing to do when I swapped to my new case, but today I added a 4th drive and looked to see what order the ports are so I can have them plugged in 1 to 4 to hopefully have them show up in the correct order. I looked online and couldn't find any info on wich was port 1 so I just plugged them in top left, bottom left, middle top and bottom middle and this is the result I got. 

When I only had 3 drives it was still ordered like it is now in task manager. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to change the disk number under Disk Management?

I no the drive letter can be changed but can the number be changed aswell?

Capture.JPG