Ryzen 7 3700x overclocking

Hi guys 

I am manually overclocking my processor.

I am wondering what the safe voltages are to pump through the CPU. I have been doing a lot of googling and there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there

what clock speed should I be aiming for?

what RAM clock speed should I be aiming for?

what infinity fabric clock speed should I be aiming for? 

Specs below

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/XLxhYH

heard ryzen is a pain to do

tried using the DRAM calculator but my ram dims are different. 2 are Samsung and 2 are Hynix. With the calculator timings I couldn’t get my system to post

also what type of Cinebench score  should I be getting

many thanks 

Just enable pbo and whatever that other thing is on zen 2 (can’t remember right now) time your ram to your if 1:1 If you can 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Not worth to manually OC it to fixed clock. Just give 'im some negative offset vcore voltage (-50, -75mV or so) and turn PBO on.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

You cannot mix Hynix and Samsung ram kits and overclock ram very well, Hynix Die are pretty fucking horrible on Ryzen. Try finding a good Samsung B-Die kit

Ram speed should be between 3600 and 3800, IF clock 1800-1900.

CPU Clock should be 4.3 Ghz, or if you want you can leave it on turbo ( i have my 3800x Set to 4.4 Ghz and it performs better then PBO. I reccomend anything under 1.4v As safe for Ryzen depending on your cooling.

Just now, Vejnemojnen said:

Not worth to manually OC it to fixed clock. Just give 'im some negative offset vcore voltage (-50, -75mV or so) and turn PBO on.

Not true, my 3800x Performs Better with a Manual Clock then with PBO. Also the Negative Vcore does not work for all the time and can negatively impact performance.

11 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You cannot mix Hynix and Samsung ram kits and overclock ram very well, Hynix Die are pretty fucking horrible on Ryzen. Try finding a good Samsung B-Die kit

CPU Clock should be 4.3 Ghz, or if you want you can leave it on turbo ( i have my 3800x Set to 4.4 Ghz and it performs better then PBO. I reccomend anything under 1.4v As safe for Ryzen depending on your cooling.

Buildzoid from actually hardcore overclocking managed to degrad his 3700x with just 1.375V (static), so I would not consider "anything under 1.4V" safe for daily use. 

1 minute ago, TechJezus said:

Buildzoid from actually hardcore overclocking managed to degrad his 3700x with just 1.375V (static), so I would not consider "anything under 1.4V" safe for daily use. 

Each is different, With some boosts and default voltages, ryzen can push 1.5v. Manually setting 1.375 should work fine. Each super is differnet though.

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Each is different, With some boosts and default voltages, ryzen can push 1.5v. Manually setting 1.375 should work fine. Each super is differnet though.

You can't compare static and adaptive voltage, there is a big difference on pumping 1.4V trough the chip 24/7 and pushing 1.5V for microseconds.

28 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I have a h100i v2 

27 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

@TechJezus @Shimejii @Stormseeker9 @Vejnemojnen

Managed to get a stable 

4.3GHz at 1.35v Averages 70*c 

RAM 3334MHz 

IF 1667 

Shall I push the ram further? Shall I go to the ratio 2:1 for the IF  

can you try it on 1.25V for instance? : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

2 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

can you try it on 1.25V for instance? : )

I havent had any real issues with my CPU. If Degradation happens it happens, instead of lasting 10 years it may last 7 or 8 years. My chip doesnt generally get hot, and if i do the PBO Boost method, i do loose quite a lot of performance. Cinnebench for instance i get 5400ish, with PBO method it gets around 4500.

I havent had any real issues with my CPU. If Degradation happens it happens, instead of lasting 10 years it may last 7 or 8 years. My chip doesnt generally get hot, and if i do the PBO Boost method, i do loose quite a lot of performance. Cinnebench for instance i get 5400ish, with PBO method it gets around 4500.

Zen 2 came out last July, we are talking months, not 7-8 years. But use the voltage you feel comfortable using. But dont give people advise about 1.4V as an upper limet, when that clearly ain't safe. 

Just now, TechJezus said:

Zen 2 came out last July, we are talking months, not 7-8 years. But use the voltage you feel comfortable using. But dont give people advise about 1.4V as an upper limet, when that clearly ain't safe. 

Thank you 8 post User :) As far as all info ive gathered, its safe within spec and as i said, depends on cooling. Your one source of info is from someone i have never seen before, Never heard of and his source seems neat and all, and informative, but its just one source. Beefy cooling is better for sure, but i still havent seen a proper source saying its deadly within a small margin of time. Each person can make that choice and see where they are comfortable :)

Thank you 8 post User :) As far as all info ive gathered, its safe within spec and as i said, depends on cooling. Your one source of info is from someone i have never seen before, Never heard of and his source seems neat and all, and informative, but its just one source. Beefy cooling is better for sure, but i still havent seen a proper source saying its deadly within a small margin of time. Each person can make that choice and see where they are comfortable :)

You should really check out buildzoid YouTube channel, great in depth stuff. He's the guy gamersnexus uses for their motherboard analysys etc. 

25 minutes ago, TechJezus said:

You should really check out buildzoid YouTube channel, great in depth stuff. He's the guy gamersnexus uses for their motherboard analysys etc. 

The user you posted ISNT buildzoid :P 

even anthony is comfortable with the voltage i posted :P ANd hes usually on the safe side

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

The user you posted ISNT buildzoid :P 

even anthony is comfortable with the voltage i posted :P ANd hes usually on the safe side

I havent posted anything. Vejnemojnen did. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 12:36 PM, TechJezus said:

Can you link me the video please

• 1 month later...