Fiber-Ethernet Project

HDRony

Hy guys,

I have read some threads about people modifying their existing network, but, since I'm into a new house reform from botton to top, i would like how would you make a a hybrid fiber-ethernet network in a four floors house, reducing unnecesary costs in wires and hardware.

My first two options was:

1: Mount into the wall a fiber optic and ethernet cat 7/8 everywhere and taking those cables to a common point in the house. Consecuences: Bigger switch with more ethernet and sfp+ ports and more cost of wires

2: a small switch at every floor, connecting every switch through the diferent floors up to the router.

Could you specify also what kind of fiber cables are best for my set up?

home hybrid network project.png

3 hours ago, HDRony said:

2: a small switch at every floor, connecting every switch through the diferent floors up to the router.

I'd just roll the first one really, if you're pulling cables anyway it's not a whole lot of extra work to pull more in the same bundle.  You'd also have more overall aggregate bandwidth with everything on one switch.

Real-world performance it's probably just a personal preference call.  Less devices to keep track of makes it more convenient to have one switch or stack of switches for that.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Small switch on each floor, then have them lead back to the router or a switch with many SFP+ ports.

You can also use media converters where necessary for cost savings.

Ok thanks,

What kind of fiber cable would you use for home and business use? is the first time I aproach to this technoligy and I don't know much about it (single-mode, multi-mode, etc) I did a search and found this diagram, my mind just blowed up.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.84e1b50ac9692008d0ea997ee4941e57.jpg

Any sfp+ conector support any kind of cable?

Can I make the installation without the "head" and then crimp it?

13 minutes ago, HDRony said:

-snip-

Go with multi-mode with LC connectors.

You cannot just crimp fiber, you need some special tools which are usually pretty expensive. It's far better and easier to cut the hole a bit bigger and patch than to try and splice the fiber afterwards.

Edit:

SFP+ connectors are specific in their frequency as well. You'll have some that support MM and other's that support SM but not both. You need to get MM SFP+ connectors if you want to use MM or likewise for SM.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

simplex or duplex? any future proof?

Fiber cables aren't crimped... They are cut, polished and terminated. People go to school to work with Fiber Optic Cabling. Its not like ethernet where if you mess up the end you just cut it off and try again, its a bit more involving.

If you can just buy pre-made patch cords, I would go with Multimode - LC standard. Easy to work with, SFP's are readily available. Plus for the distances we are talking about you don't need the long distance offered by Single mode. I use Single mode between buildings that are further than 500m from one another. I can push Multi-Mode further but the quality of the connection degrades the farther you go. 

Switching is going to be somewhat expensive as you will need switches for each floor that have multi-purpose ports to install the SFP into, or get a line converter that allows you to convert to a copper ethernet cable. Not a fan of these as they are typically unmanaged, require additional power, and if they fail they don't always show as failed. I have tons of these things across multiple locations and I have been replacing them with Cisco fiber switches in my core and using SFPs.

As cool as this idea may be there really isn't a benefit unless you are really pushing data between the floors of your house. Most people get away with GbE, or even 10GbE over copper. 

If you are going to go this way my suggestion is to pay someone to do the fiber work... 

Just now, HDRony said:

simplex or duplex? any future proof?

If you're using SFP+ modules then duplex in 99.9% of cases.

Not sure I follow? Both SM and MM will do 400Gb and beyond

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: