2020 Upgrade

AVLNCH

Hi all,

I've spent some time reading around about the upcoming 10th gen Intel CPU's and 3000 series Nvidia GPU's as to whether or not now would be a good time to upgrade or if I should wait. I feel like the most obvious and common answer I get here would be to wait however I digress and remain open to all perspectives and opinions.

The core specs of my current system are:

- i7 6700K (4.6GHz)
- Corsair H115i AIO
- ASUS Z170 Deluxe
- Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8) (2666MHz)
- 2 x 500GB SSD's
- 1 x 3TB HDD
- MSI Ventus RTX 2080
- Corsair HX850W
- Corsair Obsidian 750D

The primary aim of the upgrade is to futureproof myself so that I won't need to upgrade again for several years at least.

That being said, I'd like to move entirely to NVME storage only and i'll be taking the RTX 2080 across with me until the new 3000 series launch from Nvidia later in the year.

I did consider looking into the 109--X CPU's however I've seen many people say that this is literally just pouring money down the drain?

For the upgrade I'm looking at the following:

At the moment I'm still unsure as to if the 1000W PSU is going to be a little overkill for the system, then again I'd like to futureproof just in case I ever need more than an 850W in future. I'm also unsure as to if I should change case to the 680X or just continue using the 750D. 

System is used for all everyday tasks, gaming, heavy simulation, photo and 4K+ video editing (Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Premiere).

Budget is a firm max of £2000 but the closer to £1500 the better, however I don't mind varying anywhere between these two figures if it's worth it.

Thanks all for reading, I look forward to seeing what you guys suggest.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

The 10900k is about to drop in the next month or two, I would wait.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

your current psu is enough, unless you plan running two gpus.

i would wait for the intel new release or give ryzen a chance. the 9900k is too expensive for a soon-to-be-replaced cpu on a dead platform with no future upgradeability.

for the case, it's up to you and only a matter of looks.

I would also keep the current AIO

I mean as it stands right now you have an awesome setup. I'm not too familiar with Intel processors but my roommate mentioned that a 6gen intel is still a 14nm architecture, where the 9900k is also the same architecture, with some improvements over the years. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. That being said, with 10900 coming out soon, It wouldnt be a bad idea to wait for it as you will see improvements from 9th gen of course. I think ultimately Its going to boil down to the prices of said chips for you. When 10 gen comes out, if the price to performance on the 9900k is better than the 10900k, I would go with the 9900k myself to save money, but I am a cheapskate so thats my natural instinct. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

5 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The 10900k is about to drop in the next month or two, I would wait.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

your current psu is enough, unless you plan running two gpus.

i would wait for the intel new release or give ryzen a chance. the 9900k is too expensive for a soon-to-be-replaced cpu on a dead platform with no future upgradeability.

for the case, it's up to you and only a matter of looks.

I would also keep the current AIO

The only reason I'd look at replacing both the PSU and AIO is because the PSU is now about a decade old and out of warranty, along with the AIO which is about 5 years old and out of warranty too (I think?). Please correct me if i'm wrong.

1 minute ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I mean as it stands right now you have an awesome setup. I'm not too familiar with Intel processors but my roommate mentioned that a 6gen intel is still a 14nm architecture, where the 9900k is also the same architecture, with some improvements over the years. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. That being said, with 10900 coming out soon, It wouldnt be a bad idea to wait for it as you will see improvements from 9th gen of course. I think ultimately Its going to boil down to the prices of said chips for you. When 10 gen comes out, if the price to performance on the 9900k is better than the 10900k, I would go with the 9900k myself to save money, but I am a cheapskate so thats my natural instinct. 

The 9900k is still 14nm, you're right.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm getting the expected outcome here which is just going to be to wait and see what the new generation brings. 

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

No worries dude that is what we are here for!

On a side note, I hope you are staying positive and happy, as well as healthy through out this crisis. 

Best of luck on your new build!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

5 minutes ago, UponAvalanche said:

The only reason I'd look at replacing both the PSU and AIO is because the PSU is now about a decade old and out of warranty, along with the AIO which is about 5 years old and out of warranty too (I think?). Please correct me if i'm wrong.

i agree with changing them, then. but I wouldn't get more than 750W for a PSU.

if photo and video editing and simulations are a big part of what you do, you might want to consider a ryzen 9 3950 for the 16c/32t it offers, with similar gaming performance to the 9900k

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i agree with changing them, then. but I wouldn't get more than 750W for a PSU.

if photo and video editing and simulations are a big part of what you do, you might want to consider a ryzen 9 3950 for the 16c/32t it offers, with similar gaming performance to the 9900k

^ This guy here. Boggy why are we not best friends?

3 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

^ This guy here. Boggy why are we not best friends?

haha we could be