i7 8700k OC at 5ghz at 90-95c under load. Too high?

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

95°C is just on the edge of throttling. In theory it's fine, if the CPU isn't throttling then you won't lose performance and it's not high enough to be dangerous. With that said this could be causing your motherboard's VRMs to overheat which could shorten its lifespan. Just to be on the safe side it would be a good idea to set your cooler with a more aggressive fan curve to keep it below 85°C. If it's already at its maximum then consider lowering the voltage (and/or the clock speed) a bit.

Fan: Noctua NH-D15

ownxufx.png

image.png.dbb14ae68976462f4e361a0dceaed199.png

Is this bad?

I've been using it for the past 2 years (with no issues mind you), but... I am starting to think that it might not be the best idea to have it at this clock with the voltage at 1.4v...

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

9 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Fan: Noctua NH-D15

ownxufx.png

image.png.dbb14ae68976462f4e361a0dceaed199.png

Is this bad?

I've been using it for the past 2 years (with no issues mind you), but... I am starting to think that it might not be the best idea to have it at this clock with the voltage at 1.4v...

The temps look fine, may be lowering life span a little but can live, recommend maybe trying to get a little cooler if possible otherwise your good!

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

95°C is just on the edge of throttling. In theory it's fine, if the CPU isn't throttling then you won't lose performance and it's not high enough to be dangerous. With that said this could be causing your motherboard's VRMs to overheat which could shorten its lifespan. Just to be on the safe side it would be a good idea to set your cooler with a more aggressive fan curve to keep it below 85°C. If it's already at its maximum then consider lowering the voltage (and/or the clock speed) a bit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@babadoctor thats pretty impressive. anything about 80c for an extended period of time is bad. you might get away with being higher but its pretty unsafe

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct