Mid-grade CPU

Hey guys, I built my computer back when the 5820k was a new thing - I have no idea what the current tech is.

I'm trying to start a build for my mom who does a lot of office work, and while I know she doesn't need an i7, I don't know the relevant i5's are and don't know what the AMD equivalents are

Even if you guys could give me some chipsets to compare I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Shipping sucks

For the best value the Ryzen 1600AF (which is basically a 2600) with any B450 motherboard or a Ryzen 3600 + B450 MAX motherboard is a killer deal for all around performance. If you want to go Intel because specific things you do benefit from what it offers more then probably a 9600K is the best deal paired with a cheaper Z390 board.

Edit:

Completely glossed over the "for mom" part of this. Whoops!

Depending on needs the 1600AF is a pretty good value with some nice performance behind it in case tasks need to take advantage of that. Otherwise an AMD APU like a 2200G or 3200G would be great.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Assuming this is just for light programs such as Word and the like, AMD makes Ryzen APUs for cheap. I'd recommend a 3200G or 3400G, and a B-series chipset for a good budget office build.

If she doesn't do any video intensive work that would require a dedicated GPU, then you could get her a Ryzen APU, such as the 3400G (the Vega 11 graphics on it are about on par with a GT 1030) and pair that with a good B450 board - my picks would be either the MSI B450-A PRO MAX or the B450M PRO-VDH MAX (the "MAX" is important as it assures that it will work with Ryzen 3000 out of the box, otherwise it will require a BIOS update). 

If she does need a dedicated GPU (better than a GT 1030/Vega 11) then a good pick would be a Ryzen 1600AF/2600, also with a good B450 board. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

To clarify, when people say Ryzen 1600 "AF" they mean:

AMD is now making the Ryzen 5 1600 on the 12nm process, and it's basically a 2600 with a different name. (GamersNexus has a good video about this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRO_AUdmfis).

The 1600 is usually a cheaper CPU than the 2600, so that could save some money.

However, you should ensure that you’re getting the updated version, with a SKU ending in “AF” instead of “AE”

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4