using 6gb ram when i hv 8gb ram

rockyFire007

Why is NVIDIA recognizing only 6gb RAM, when I have a 8gb RAM (2*4 gb)dual channel 2666 Mhz ram.

How to access my full ram because all my games are detecting only 6gb RAM, due to which i am not getting performance and good fps at higher graphical levels.

My Graphic card is GTX 1650

image.thumb.png.ec40807238264d08b52c616c1713bb0e.png

There is a difference between system RAM (the sticks next to your CPU and the thing you see under system memory on taskmanager as the screenshot you provided above) and VRAM (the memory soldered on your graphics card PCB and the thingy you see -when available - as a metric on how much you consume when you change graphical settings on a game )

You have 8GB system ram.

But your GPU has 6GB of VRAM

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

There is a difference between system RAM (the sticks next to your CPU and the thing you see under system memory on taskmanager as the screenshot you provided above) and VRAM (the memory soldered on your graphics card PCB and the thingy you see -when available - as a metric on how much you consume when you change graphical settings on a game )

You have 8GB system ram.

But your GPU has 6GB of VRAM

No. Check his task manager graph. It only goes up to 6GB.

It's because 2GB are system reserved.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

No. Check his task manager graph. It only goes up to 6GB.

It's because 2GB are system reserved.

What do you mean by "no" ?

A discrete GPU uses its own vram... the settings on a game (if they have a ram usage metric) are going to show the total memory available to the GPU that runs the game, he has a discrete GPU thus it does not use his system RAM

The reserved RAM is used by his IGPU but it wont show up in the game options since he drives those games with the discrete GPU.. its just so happens that the numbers align because he has 8 Gigs of system ram of which 2 are used for the IGPU. 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

What do you mean by "no" ?

I mean that your interpretation of the problem is wrong. He's asking why he only has 6GB system RAM available, you're explaining about VRAM. You're right in saying that VRAM is different than RAM. Nothing you said is wrong, but it's not what he's looking for.

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

The reserved RAM is used by his IGPU but it wont show up in the game options since he drives those games with the discrete GPU.. its just so happens that the numbers align because he has 8 Gigs of system ram of which 2 are used for the IGPU. 

Correct.

However, there's no need to enable the iGPU at all, since he has a DGPU, so the solution to this problem is for @rockyFire007 to go into his BIOS settings and either disable the iGPU entirely, or lower the amount of reserved RAM.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

mean that your interpretation of the problem is wrong. He's asking why he only has 6GB system RAM available

I think that he just dont know how to use the lingo I think he wants to know why he cant have more ram for his games (so why cant he use more Vram that he doesnt know exists and thinks is RAM ) because he says this: 

22 minutes ago, rockyFire007 said:

due to which i am not getting performance and good fps at higher graphical levels

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

However, there's no need to enable the iGPU at all

I think some laptops have locked bioses that dont allow you to change that and use  IGPU for driving the monitor in windows applications 

I think my predator helios has a locked bios like that. 

On 3/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, papajo said:

I think that he just dont know how to use the lingo I think he wants to know why he cant have more ram for his games (so why cant he use more Vram that he doesnt know exists and thinks is RAM ) because he says this: 

I think some laptops have locked bioses that dont allow you to change that and use  IGPU for driving the monitor in windows applications 

I think my predator helios has a locked bios like that. 

even HP has locked the bios! is there any way to unlock the bios? because I dont want my games to run on 6gb RAM!!!!

2 minutes ago, rockyFire007 said:

even HP has locked the bios! is there any way to unlock the bios? because I dont want my games to run on 6gb RAM!!!!

What is the exact part number of your laptop? 

8 minutes ago, papajo said:

What is the exact part number of your laptop? 

hp pavilion gaming 15 ec0027ax

and I am really sorry for not being clear with my query!😃

21 minutes ago, rockyFire007 said:

hp pavilion gaming 15 ec0027ax

and I am really sorry for not being clear with my query!😃

Are you sure you are seeing 6GB in games and not 4GB? 

I couldnt find a link for downloading a moded bios for your laptop but you could request one here (dont forget to mention your laptop model and also leave a link for the latest bios , you can find that on HP's webpage) 

alternatively you could check if you have an emty slot to add a ram stick there but it wont change much a GTX 1650 is an entry level GPU I mean in case some games run at a low framerate dont expect wonders to happen try to play them at lower details or resolution or both

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

Are you sure you are seeing 6GB in games and not 4GB? 

I couldnt find a link for downloading a moded bios for your laptop but you could request one here (dont forget to mention your laptop model and also leave a link for the latest bios , you can find that on HP's webpage) 

alternatively you could check if you have an emty slot to add a ram stick there but it wont change much a GTX 1650 is an entry level GPU I mean in case some games run at a low framerate dont expect wonders to happen try to play them at lower details or resolution or both

when I run bench mark test, its showing as 6GB RAM instead of 8 and the graphic memory is 4gb only. My problem is with RAM! i dont want to play on 6gb RAM. I want the games to use 8gb RAM 

i dont want vega graphics to lock my 2gb of RAM

6 minutes ago, rockyFire007 said:

when I run bench mark test, its showing as 6GB RAM instead of 8 and the graphic memory is 4gb only. My problem is with RAM! i dont want to play on 6gb RAM. I want the games to use 8gb RAM 

i dont want vega graphics to lock my 2gb of RAM

which benchmark ?

the benchmark that comes with games.............such as ghost recon wildlands 

3 minutes ago, rockyFire007 said:

the benchmark that comes with games.............such as ghost recon wildlands 

That benchmark shows VRAM not RAM... and you have 4GB of it and you cant change that.  The not so good performance is due to your hardware not being that strong, 

But run it again please are you sure it shows 6144MB and not 4096? 

14 minutes ago, papajo said:

That benchmark shows VRAM not RAM... and you have 4GB of it and you cant change that.  The not so good performance is due to your hardware not being that strong, 

But run it again please are you sure it shows 6144MB and not 4096? 

image.thumb.png.51a97b4157b5ac83f2fe2e8d1e44a1cb.png

yea I meant this part of the benchmark 

2057612161_GhostReconWildlandsGTX1650Benchmark-YouTube.thumb.png.6624ca070058ba19920cde2a62c2c9d3.png

The GPU in the screenshot is a 1650 as well although desktop one (better performance) 

So to recap everything that has already been said

• The Vram of your system is 4GB and you cant change that

• Ram on your system is 8GB -2GB for the IGPU and you cant change that unless you have a moded bios

• Alternatively you can increase your RAM if you have an empty slot to add a new ram stick

• If you increase your RAM dont expect big performance boost 6GB is ok (if you dont have anything else like chrome tabs running in the background) you gonna see a couple of FPS boost or even 0 if you add more RAM. 

• Your low performance is due to your hardware not being strong enough (and in case of this particular game not being optimized enough so it needs strong hardware to begin with) try lowering the settings or the resolution or both to increase your framerate 

Here is a video on how this game performs on MEDIUM settings 1080p with a desktop (desktop performance is going to be atleast slightly better than laptop even if same model names are used) 

and it uses a GTX 1650 GPU

And it runs at 50-60 FPS at those medium settings while your laptop runs at 30-40 FPS with very high settings.. which sounds just about right, there is no issue here that is the performance you should expect with such settings and this hardware. 

12 minutes ago, papajo said:

yea I meant this part of the benchmark 

2057612161_GhostReconWildlandsGTX1650Benchmark-YouTube.thumb.png.6624ca070058ba19920cde2a62c2c9d3.png

The GPU in the screenshot is a 1650 as well although desktop one (better performance) 

So to recap everything that has already been said

• The Vram of your system is 4GB and you cant change that

• Ram on your system is 8GB -2GB for the IGPU and you cant change that unless you have a moded bios

• Alternatively you can increase your RAM if you have an empty slot to add a new ram stick

• If you increase your RAM dont expect big performance boost 6GB is ok (if you dont have anything else like chrome tabs running in the background) you gonna see a couple of FPS boost or even 0 if you add more RAM. 

• Your low performance is due to your hardware not being strong enough (and in case of this particular game not being optimized enough so it needs strong hardware to begin with) try lowering the settings or the resolution or both to increase your framerate 

Here is a video on how this game performs on MEDIUM settings 1080p with a desktop (desktop performance is going to be atleast slightly better than laptop even if same model names are used) 

and it uses a GTX 1650 GPU

And it runs at 50-60 FPS at those medium settings while your laptop runs at 30-40 FPS with very high settings.. which sounds just about right, there is no issue here that is the performance you should expect with such settings and this hardware. 

okay thanks for the help