Corsair PSU ticking?

This issue has been pretty well documented, and the best coarse of action is just to RMA. But given current world events, I don't want to be stuck without a PSU for the next few weeks.

I have an RM650x that works just fine, But ticks in fanless mode every few seconds. This is a pretty common failure that isn't dangerous to the system, and it's a first hand unit i bought January of 2020. Is there any way i can silence this in the mean time? Attached vid for reference. I wasn't doing anything taxing. It's slow, Louder in person, and extremely annoying.

19 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

This is a pretty common failure 

IT IS?!?!?!??

Links?

I think you're confusing some other problem that may be common with another (i.e. the old GS and AXi units that would "twitch" the fan when in fanless mode).

I have no idea what that noise is.

And is it that it only does it in fanless mode, or is it that the fan drowns out the sound when the fan kicks in so you're assuming it only happens in fanless mode?

25 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

IT IS?!?!?!??

Links?

I think you're confusing some other problem that may be common with another (i.e. the old GS and AXi units that would "twitch" the fan when in fanless mode).

I probably am, I'm good with solving problems, But i have no idea how to diagnose a PSU.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116511&highlight=ticking

https://forum.corsair.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=125914

I know it's still under warranty, So I'm really not interested in opening it up(Not that I'd do that anyway. I have no idea what I'm doing) From what I've read online, it only happens in fanless mode. I can't exactly pull it out to be sure.

My Corsair PSU (listed in sig) also does this from time to time...not as frequently as depicted in the video, but maybe once or twice a day that I've noticed. I guess I assumed it was the fan turning on and off, but maybe I should pay more attention...

Case: Silverstone ML08B-H  l  Motherboard: ASUS ROG-strix B450i  l  CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600  l  RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200  l  GPU: AMD RX5700 Reference Card by XFX  l  PSU: Corsair SF450 80+ Platinum  l  SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2  l  HDD: Seagate Firecuda 2TB 

20 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I probably am, I'm good with solving problems, But i have no idea how to diagnose a PSU.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116511&highlight=ticking

https://forum.corsair.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=125914

I know it's still under warranty, So I'm really not interested in opening it up(Not that I'd do that anyway. I have no idea what I'm doing) From what I've read online, it only happens in fanless mode. I can't exactly pull it out to be sure.

Yeah.  That's the old "fan twitch" noise issue from 5+ years ago.

That's not what you're hearing.

Like I said:  I've no idea what that noise is.

12 minutes ago, jordanb450 said:

My Corsair PSU (listed in sig) also does this from time to time...not as frequently as depicted in the video, but maybe once or twice a day that I've noticed. I guess I assumed it was the fan turning on and off, but maybe I should pay more attention...

That wasn't very helpful.  :(

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.  That's the old "fan twitch" noise issue from 5+ years ago.

That's not what you're hearing.

Like I said:  I've no idea what that noise is.

So i guess the best course of action here is see about getting a replacement sent out. But I don't think that's a very safe option given current world events. I live in the states so it's not like I don't have time. The only other PSU I own that isn't a Delta from an old Dell is a 600W Thermaltake unit i bought for $45 6+ years ago. (Which i only replaced with this Corsair after it started giving off a burning smell when gaming with an RX580 Strix. Was not my best move but i'm glad i played it safe)

8 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

So i guess the best course of action here is see about getting a replacement sent out. But I don't think that's a very safe option given current world events. I live in the states so it's not like I don't have time. The only other PSU I own that isn't a Delta from an old Dell is a 600W Thermaltake unit i bought for $45 6+ years ago. (Which i only replaced with this Corsair after it started giving off a burning smell when gaming with an RX580 Strix. Was not my best move but i'm glad i played it safe)

I doubt there's anything wrong with the PSU.  I mean.. it works, right?

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I doubt there's anything wrong with the PSU.  I mean.. it works, right?

Yeah, the ticking is just loud enough to drive you mad. Minecraft music at full blast is is then.

Just curious, have your tried pulling the PSU out and performing a paperclip test on it to see if it still clicks on it's own?  Just curious of the potential it could be something else in the system causing that noise.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/