Tips for improving fps?

LittleBoone

So my computer has recently been under performing a little bit. It maintains a stable and high fps count on most games, but often the fps will just drop drastically. This seems to happen no matter how intense the game is, whether it is on csgo and arkham games, or games like Shadow of the tomb raider and metro. I have a GTX 970 and a core i5 4590 and 8 gb of ddr3 ram. I don't know if it is the pc's age that is causing the frame drops, so i'd like some advice

Are you monitoring the temps?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

If you experience stuttering you could be hitting GPU VRAM limit or RAM limits. With low VRAM amounts RAM usage will be higher in most games these days and 8 isn't really considered the advides defautl for a gmaing system anymore. Can you try describe the way it lags further or plot Frametime in MSI afterburner and get is some screenshots of what it looks like.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, Gix7Fifty said:

Are you monitoring the temps?

No.... but that would be a good idea. What program could i use for it. Like msi afterburner?

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

If you experience stuttering you could be hitting GPU VRAM limit or RAM limits. With low VRAM amounts RAM usage will be higher in most games these days and 8 isn't really considered the advides defautl for a gmaing system anymore. Can you try describe the way it lags further or plot Frametime in MSI afterburner and get is some screenshots of what it looks like.

But as I said, it happens with any game, from old to new, so it can't be because my components are outdated.

When the frame rate drops, does it come back just as quickly or does the frame rate stay slow for a period of time? If it is easily reproducible, you could just take the side panel off your case and point a household fan at it. If it is throttling because of a thermal issue that should eliminate or at least greatly reduce the slow down and would point you in the right direction for resolving the issue.

-kp

2 minutes ago, kpluck said:

When the frame rate drops, does it come back just as quickly or does the frame rate stay slow for a period of time? If it is easily reproducible, you could just take the side panel off your case and point a household fan at it. If it is throttling because of a thermal issue that should eliminate or at least greatly reduce the slow down and would point you in the right direction for resolving the issue.

-kp

i'll try that. And to answer your question, the frame rates come back quickly, but for games like csgo or r6, it becomes impossible to play with these drops

Is your hard-drive full/are you maxing out your memory capacity?    You could be having I/O issues in the background

With the age of your hardware you could easily have some dust buildup in your heatsinks

Running antivirus/malware detection software might be wise as well