Fast wifi but high ping

Recky

So I used to have 30mb/s download speed and 10mbs download, my ping was about 25 when I was the only one using the wifi. (Just to clarify I don’t use Ethernet, I use wireless). I recently upgraded to a Helix Videotron program, giving me, now, 400mb/s download and 50mb/s upload. Quite an upgrade! It can handle up to 12 people at the same time and still have good connection. Anyway, after upgrading I went into my game (Fortnite) and realized that my ping was indeed better, I’m talking 10-15 ping, but when I upgraded my wifi to make it 13x more powerful I expected way lower ping. Like 0-7 ping. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m wireless. Can anybody help out?

Thanks!

How good is your connection to the router / wifi broadcaster?

12 minutes ago, Recky said:

but when I upgraded my wifi to make it 16x more powerful I expected way lower ping. Like 0-7 ping. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m wireless. Can anybody help out?

Where's the 16x coming from? wtf

Anyway upgrading your internet speed will have little to no effect on your ping, the reason you got better ping is probably due to having a better router, WiFi is still Half-duplex and there's more processing and interruptions involved, it's still far from matching Ethernet level of latency which supports Full-duplex and is a direct connection.

Half-duplex means the data can travel one way, it has to wait for the packets to finish to then be able to send or receive the opposite way, while Full-duplex can send and receive at the same time.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

27 minutes ago, Recky said:

when I upgraded my wifi to make it 16x more powerful I expected way lower ping. Like 0-7 ping.

What makes you believe this?

Most of the latency is introduced by distance on the internet.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

34 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

So what's the ping now?

Like around 15

9 minutes ago, beersykins said:

What makes you believe this?

Most of the latency is introduced by distance on the internet.

My bad, I used to have 30mb/s and not 60. The 16x is a mistake I miscalculated logically, I had 30 I now have 400 so 400%30 = 13.3333

so technically it’s 13x more powerful and not 16x. I don’t know if that’s how it works though..

19 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Where's the 16x coming from? wtf

Anyway upgrading your internet speed will have little to no effect on your ping, the reason you got better ping is probably due to having a better router, WiFi is still Half-duplex and there's more processing and interruptions involved, it's still far from matching Ethernet level of latency which supports Full-duplex and is a direct connection.

Half-duplex means the data can travel one way, it has to wait for the packets to finish to then be able to send or receive the opposite way, while Full-duplex can send and receive at the same time.

My bad, I used to have 30mb/s and not 60. The 16x is a mistake I miscalculated. The right answer is 13x faster here’s how I did it: Logically, I had 30 I now have 400 so 400%30 = 13.3333

so technically it’s 13x more powerful and not 16x. I don’t know if internet speed works that way though..

40 minutes ago, Andiq said:

How good is your connection to the router / wifi broadcaster?

It’s pretty good, I know for a fact it’s 5 bars but I don’t know how to check it precisely.

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

IMO that's not really bad. I can't even play multiplayer games with my setup right now until i sort out some ethernet. I have a wifi extender by my pc with an ethernet cable going out of it into the PC and I get kicked off of ETS2MP for having over 600 ping.

Yeah no I totally agree, it’s really good actually, I played with it today and it was fine, the only problem is when others have better ping then you. It gets harder to play since they place and move slightly faster. Otherwise, It’s perfectly fine.

8 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

IMO that's not really bad. I can't even play multiplayer games with my setup right now until i sort out some ethernet. I have a wifi extender by my pc with an ethernet cable going out of it into the PC and I get kicked off of ETS2MP for having over 600 ping.

My pc isn’t the best either, but that has nothing to do with wifi.

i have a Intel Core i3 8700k
a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

250Gs SSD (m.2)

1T HD

a Gigabyte B360 DS3H motherboard

and a 80+ bronze psu 

And 16G G.Skill Aegis RAM

not that good barely runs 144 FPS on low/medium settings.

1 hour ago, Recky said:

So I used to have 30mb/s download speed and 10mbs download, my ping was about 25 when I was the only one using the wifi. (Just to clarify I don’t use Ethernet, I use wireless). I recently upgraded to a Helix Videotron program, giving me, now, 400mb/s download and 50mb/s upload. Quite an upgrade! It can handle up to 12 people at the same time and still have good connection. Anyway, after upgrading I went into my game (Fortnite) and realized that my ping was indeed better, I’m talking 10-15 ping, but when I upgraded my wifi to make it 13x more powerful I expected way lower ping. Like 0-7 ping. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I’m wireless. Can anybody help out?

Thanks!

Wireless can slow it down also you reach a point where the only thing slowing it down is the distance so unless your next to the server you will have ping still

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

9 hours ago, Recky said:

I don’t know if that’s how it works though..

That's not really how it works.

Use the car analogy, you upgraded from a minivan to a 18 wheeler that take the same roads to your destination and go the same speed.  You can add more cargo to the truck and your 'total time to move all of this data' decreases since you have less trips.  The time between you and the destination, however, remains the same.

Replacing your wireless doesn't replace all of the other components between you and the server.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

11 hours ago, Recky said:

Yeah no I totally agree, it’s really good actually, I played with it today and it was fine, the only problem is when others have better ping then you. It gets harder to play since they place and move slightly faster. Otherwise, It’s perfectly fine.

If you have a ping of 15 and someone has 8, they will in no way have an advantage over you. Most online games are designed to handle much higher pings so really in most cases anything under 100ms will have roughly the same experience. But definitely under 50 would have no noticeable difference. 

Latency is a measurement of time that a packet takes to travel to the destination and then back. Anything under 100ms is good, anything under 50 is excellent. 

Latency is often misunderstood... numerous things can affect it, such as:

1. Distance - The father you are the longer it takes. 

2. Technology used - Wifi ads latency due to being Half Duplex

3. Number of Hops to destination - Each router the packet passes through ads some latency.

Ultimately you will have no benefit going from 15ms to 8ms. If it really bothers you, then run a wire. 

I should also add, that speed has almost nothing to do with latency. You can have Gigabit ethernet and 200ms ping... and 30mb VDSL with 10ms ping so increasing speed may not improve gaming unless you have a saturation issue or a decrease in latency from something else such as a change in technology.