What's Best OS for my old pc?

f6a7

Hello, I have a bad brick that barely you can call a computer, but, I want to know, what's the best OS for my brick pc? (not windows 7 pls)

My PC specs:
Intel HD Graphics
Intel Core i-5 520M
2GB RAM

This is laptop, isn't?

Try Lubuntu if you like Linux.

If you don't like win7, you may try win10 or Vista.

Or in fact anything you like, but first buy some SSD. This laptop will be slow as hell without it.

Yeah, it's a laptop.

I gonna try Lubuntu using a usb flash stick, but theres might be a risk that i will just broke my pc, so i will try upgrading to windows 8.1 embedded industry pro, thanks for your reply! I might try vista also.

Actually is not that bad if you are using for office/study porpouses,

install an SDD

Windows 8.1 x32 + classic start menu(it is a w7 start menu like)

ZorinOS looks pretty neat, with a really simple UI

https://zorinos.com/download/#lite

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

well as already said by homeap5 linux will be a nice thing. I do presume you're not going to game on this machine anyway so linux should be fairly good for it.

You can basicly find every linux distibution here: https://distrowatch.com/ 

so poke around create a live stick or DVD and try what you like.

If you really dislike linux i'd say run windows 10, it's going to be easier on your machine then win7 or vista (why did microsoft ever make that)

currently rocking 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 GB of corsair vengeance RGB ram and hoping to get my 6800XT soon!!!!

The only problem with Vista is that it's no longer supported, so you won't get security updates anymore. Some Linux distros are very lightweight and can run really well on old hardware, though the i5 520M isn't exactly terrible.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

2GB of ram is quite low even for linux. if you can upgrade it i'd recommend going up to 4gb, that'll give you some more room. then you'll actually be able to run linux and have chrome and something like spotify running at the same time. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

ZorinOS looks pretty neat, with a really simple UI

https://zorinos.com/download/#lite

avoid that. it used to send telemetry (not anymore) which is a big no no in linux, also it's quite bloated because of the custom theming thing they have going on, and parts of their interface are gnome based iirc (could be wrong there), regardless it's not the lightest OS out there, and with only 2GB of ram every mb matters. 

Edited by Twilight
grammatical correction

She/Her

There are some very lightweight distros where 2GB of RAM wouldn't be too bad, though I agree that at least 4GB would be ideal these days.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

Just now, Steo said:

There are some very lightweight distros where 2GB of RAM wouldn't be too bad, though I agree that at least 4GB would be ideal these days.

yeah, 2gb is fine if you run lubuntu, but if you dare to have a music player and more than say 3 tabs open you'll be punished by the wrath of the pagefile

She/Her

I gonna buy a new computer in a few days, so I think I'll stop on windows 8.1 embedded industry pro or linux

or ms dos xD

Just now, f6a7 said:

I gonna buy a new computer in a few days, so I think I'll stop on windows 8.1 embedded industry pro or linux

just use Linux then. 

She/Her

Or I can try classical windows 8 or 8.1, because they look pretty cool and the metro design is awesome.

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

yeah, 2gb is fine if you run lubuntu, but if you dare to have a music player and more than say 3 tabs open you'll be punished by the wrath of the pagefile

I can speak from experience after trying both Debian and Arch on an ancient laptop with a Celeron T1400 and 2GB of RAM; it doesn't run very well. ?

maybe i'll try lubuntu

1 minute ago, Steo said:

I can speak from experience after trying both Debian and Arch on an ancient laptop with a Celeron T1400 and 2GB of RAM; it doesn't run very well. ?

the celeron is the bottleneck there. Linux runs well on 2GB of ram as long as you don't do things that max out the ram. a lightweight distro uses about 500mb so you have 1.5gb left. you can do plenty with that. 

2 minutes ago, f6a7 said:

the metro design is awesome.

must. resist. raging.

She/Her

must. resist. raging.

why not lol?

Also a question, i need to use usb flash stick to install? Just my laptop is not a friend with booting from usb's.

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

the celeron is the bottleneck there. Linux runs well on 2GB of ram as long as you don't do things that max out the ram. a lightweight distro uses about 500mb so you have 1.5gb left. you can do plenty with that.

Yeah it's a really old laptop, it's literally as thick and heavy as a brick. I have a much better laptop with an i7, just thought I'd experiment with the spare old one to see how it would run.

my laptop is dell latitude e6410 from 2010

6 minutes ago, Steo said:

Huh Atom n270 please + 2GB RAM, overheating with firefox

3 minutes ago, f6a7 said:

Also a question, i need to use usb flash stick to install? Just my laptop is not a friend with booting from usb's.

gonna sign in tmr, bye all, c ya tmr!